We won a lot of games like this...

adeltaY

Reaction score
Right but the passing game shouldn't be high risk. That's a problem with coaching, receivers, OL, etc. I'd really like to see that fixed.

toffee

Reaction score
I remember at Carson’ 20th carry or so, he had around 70 yards or 3.5-3.6 ypc. I believe it could be mid 3rd quarter. At that point I thought Carson will get his first 100yards game by having couple of longish runs on a tired defense.

Well, that didn’t happen. In fact it took another 12 carries to get the last 30 yards or so. Averaging only 2+ yards per carry. If we were behind, that would be fatal.

I think this is a statement game or sort, severing notice that we will run the ball and keep running it.

I am of the opinion, oK toffee doesn’t know XO, that Carson is good for 20 or so carries per game, we need another RB to carry that last 5-8 carries, then some QB or WR runs to balance it off to 30-32 running attempts. So Toffee is crying : Penny Penny where art thou?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
30 carries is too much. It's okay once or twice a year but you don't want Carson or Penny running the ball 30+ times. 20-22 is the sweet spot. It worked for this game so all is good but no, you definitely don't want your RB running that much. Normally you hope 20-22 carries gets you 100 yards. It took 30 in this game. Okay. As long as it isn't a trend, it should be fine. What matters the most is the FOCUS on the running game which was just great to see.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, when you have a big lead people expect you to run and it does get harder. I'm not sure what Carson's longest run was off the top of my head, but that 11 yard 1st down scamper late in the game was a key one. Maybe it doesn't count as a "chunk" play according to the strict definition, but it was a bit of a back breaker at the time.

It is true that we couldn't have pulled that off if we were behind on the score board, but that's kind of the point of Pete's philosophy of running. Get an early lead, then run the ball when everybody in the stadium knows you're going to.

I've said before that Carson can't do this every week. He'd be burned out by the end of October, if not sooner. But having had some success, it gives our guys confidence that they can do it again with contributions from Penny, Davis & Co going forward.

I expect our YPC average to improve markedly as the season progresses.