We need to practice defending screens ALL WEEK

hawker84

Reaction score
We've never been good at it since the Pete era. Never been good at defending backs out of the backfield or TE down the seem. Can't see that changing any time soon. Unfortunately.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, if the Hawks pound the rock like they are very capable of doing, they have a damn good shot next week. Time of possession matters, a LOT.

renofox

Reaction score
In PC's post game presser he was really positive the whole time, except when he was asked about the Brown's screen game.

He basically said that practice all week focused on stopping the screens and that the gameday execution just completely sucked.

renofox

Reaction score
Are you sure? I seem to recall KJ diagnosing and blowing up screen after screen back in the LOB days.
Yes. And Brooks has been doing a great impression of KJ and sniffing out screens in several games this year.

On a few.of the screens yesterday I noticed Brooks in the area but completely unable to shed any blocks.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I was legitimately impressed with their oc's screen gameplan, that middle screen was a thing of beauty man. And then KJ alluded to the same thing on his podcast and I pretended like KJ and I were friends for a minute and then I had to go do regular person things.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I was legitimately impressed with their oc's screen gameplan, that middle screen was a thing of beauty man. And then KJ alluded to the same thing on his podcast and I pretended like KJ and I were friends for a minute and then I had to go do regular person things.
THAT'S funny.

I've been staying away from the KJ fest successfully most of the off/season ;)

Regular Person Things. Love it.

Mick063

Reaction score
The most immediate and easily correctable issue:

Mental discipline on defense. I'm talking about penalties. I'm talking about getting off the field after successfully putting the opposition into a punt situation. The extra opportunities provided due to unforced mental errors on defense are the reason why Cleveland got back into this game. For example, extending a drive with grabby hands on fourth down. Not too bright Woolen. Try playing defense with your feet. But he wasn't the only one.

PeruHawk

Reaction score
Are you sure? I seem to recall KJ diagnosing and blowing up screen after screen back in the LOB days.
Just listened to KJ's podcast about the game and he said those screens were very well designed and executed and said both he and Kam Chancellor (watching the game together) were completely fooled by the play, and that HE could not have stopped them. KJ gave credit to the play design, execution and timing of the call.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Browns have the best screen game in the entire league, extremely creative and effective.

But yes, GUARANTEED the Niners will be dissecting all of this tape cause they have even better skill position personnel to run screens.

Mick063

Reaction score
The Browns have the best screen game in the entire league, extremely creative and effective.

But yes, GUARANTEED the Niners will be dissecting all of this tape cause they have even better skill position personnel to run screens.
I partially agree, but not entirely.

Hunt should have been in the #1 crosshairs from the beginning. Going into the game you knew that Cooper and Hunt were the two weapons that could hurt you the most. You also knew that Cleveland specializes in screen plays. The defense should have been prepped and dialed in on Hunt for the screen game.

I'll give a pass for overlooking the Brown's dreadlocked tight end who unexpectedly played a very impressive game. That dude has impressive acceleration for a tight end and the Browns taking advantage of it with the screen pass is unique play deployment. Not many teams do it. Precisely because teams utilize players from other positions (RB/WR) for their screen targets because those positions typically provide more acceleration than TE. Kudos to Cleveland for uniquely putting their player in a position to succeed by playing to his strength. Any team would be caught flat footed by the play design.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Every team can run screens and we can’t defend them.

If it makes you feel any better, the Seahawks ALSO cannot run screens offensively as well either…lol

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I partially agree, but not entirely.

Hunt should have been in the #1 crosshairs from the beginning. Going into the game you knew that Cooper and Hunt were the two weapons that could hurt you the most. You also knew that Cleveland specializes in screen plays. They should have been prepped and dialed in on Hunt in the screen game.

I'll give a pass for overlooking the Brown's dreadlocked tight end who unexpectedly played a very impressive game. That dude has impressive acceleration for a tight end.

The Browns had 11 players with a reception or carry, including seven with two or more.

That's more than just gameplanning for Hunt. My point is give Browns some credit, they did to us what they've been doing to every team they've played, pounding the rock and using their excellent screen game to control the clock and move the ball very effectively.

Including against the Niners, who have the 2nd best defense in the league.

Our D played well yesterday, Cleveland even with a backup QB is no slouch on offense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet here we are at 5-2. Even if they kind of don't feel like a 5-2 team. But, you are what your record shows, and they are 5-2 and in first place as of today.
Good stuff with a ton of room to improve.

cymatica

Reaction score
The most immediate and easily correctable issue:

Mental discipline on defense. I'm talking about penalties. I'm talking about getting off the field after successfully putting the opposition into a punt situation. The extra opportunities provided due to unforced mental errors on defense are the reason why Cleveland got back into this game. For example, extending a drive with grabby hands on fourth down. Not too bright Woolen. Try playing defense with your feet. But he wasn't the only one.
You mean the bogus PI call when Woolen played perfect coverage?

Latest posts