Was the Richardson trade a good deal?

endzorn

Reaction score
In hindsight I think it was a bad trade. I think we’d have had a more stout run defense with Rubin and I don’t think Richardson was enough of a disruptive force in the pass game to justify cutting Rubin and eating his cap hit, trading a 2nd rounder AND paying Richardson’s salary. We’d have had more in-season roster flexibility and that 2nd round pick if the trade never happened. Being so tight against the cap handcuffed the front office, most notably when it came to eating Walsh’s remaining salary and replacing him.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Richardson was never a difference maker. We traded a second rounder for a decent player. Niners traded a second rounder for a QB that has revitalized the franchise seemingly.

So yes, it was a trade that didn't work out. I'm not sure you can say that it was bad given Rubin's skills were diminishing and McDowell was a no show. Imagine the mess we'd have had at DL if there was no Richardson. Bennet was playing on a bad foot. Naz missed the last 6 games. Jordan missed the first 6. Avril went on IR. If it weren't for Reed and Richardson staying generally healthy all year we'd have been sunk in November TBH.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's only a good deal if we resign Richardson to a decent extension so he can play here another 3-4 years.

If he leaves? Terrible deal, no playoffs and gave up a 2nd rounder.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2aexyabh said:
It's only a good deal if we resign Richardson to a decent extension so he can play here another 3-4 years.

If he leaves we get a 3rd rounder back. Keep that in mind.

nwHawk

Reaction score
endzorn":2tkxpcxj said:
In hindsight I think it was a bad trade. I think we’d have had a more stout run defense with Rubin and I don’t think Richardson was enough of a disruptive force in the pass game to justify cutting Rubin and eating his cap hit, trading a 2nd rounder AND paying Richardson’s salary. We’d have had more in-season roster flexibility and that 2nd round pick if the trade never happened. Being so tight against the cap handcuffed the front office, most notably when it came to eating Walsh’s remaining salary and replacing him.

Took the words right out of my head. I feel the same way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1ysh0c7d said:
Sgt. Largent":1ysh0c7d said:

If he leaves we get a 3rd rounder back. Keep that in mind.

That helps, but in the grand scheme of "was this a good trade?" Without us extending Richardson to a good deal for us, it's a fail for me.

His play also trailed off like Bennett and Clark as the season went along. So even if you just looked at what happened on the field, I'd say it was a failure. Richardson played well, but IMO wasn't the impact lights out player we thought we were getting.