Walter Jones, the off-season and "bad tastes".

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3rp9ktgo said:
hawknation2015":3rp9ktgo said:
You mean turning down an extension that would pay him fair value in the pursuit of more.

Whitsitt was an idiot . . . I can't defend anything he did with regards to a fair extension for WJ from 2003-04.

Schneider, on the other hand, has a proven track record of fairly compensating our best players.

I just hope Wilson is taking the team into consideration when weighing whether to accept the team's offers for his first extension. There has to be a balance between signing a fair deal and allowing the team to retain enough cap flexibility to remain competitive.

You are making assumptions. We have no idea what's been offered, or what's been counter offered. This could be more about structure or guarantees than it is about total dollars. There are many nuances in contracts, and especially ones like this. There is absolutely no rush on our part, as he's not holding out and we still have him under contract. The only leverage right now is the fact that his number will likely rise as more quarterbacks get signed in the interim.

Still, the guy is playing under a minuscule contract right now without a single complaint. No reason to worry about what he may or may not be asking for until we actually see the terms for what he ends up signing.

Most of the info in all post involving Wilson and his contract talks are assumptions, even your comment "You mean turning down an extension that would pay him fair value in the pursuit of more. " when we don't know if Wilson is shooting for the moon or asking what "we/you" consider fair market.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":10ea0jto said:
kidhawk":10ea0jto said:
hawknation2015":10ea0jto said:
You mean turning down an extension that would pay him fair value in the pursuit of more.

Whitsitt was an idiot . . . I can't defend anything he did with regards to a fair extension for WJ from 2003-04.

Schneider, on the other hand, has a proven track record of fairly compensating our best players.

I just hope Wilson is taking the team into consideration when weighing whether to accept the team's offers for his first extension. There has to be a balance between signing a fair deal and allowing the team to retain enough cap flexibility to remain competitive.

You are making assumptions. We have no idea what's been offered, or what's been counter offered. This could be more about structure or guarantees than it is about total dollars. There are many nuances in contracts, and especially ones like this. There is absolutely no rush on our part, as he's not holding out and we still have him under contract. The only leverage right now is the fact that his number will likely rise as more quarterbacks get signed in the interim.

Still, the guy is playing under a minuscule contract right now without a single complaint. No reason to worry about what he may or may not be asking for until we actually see the terms for what he ends up signing.

Most of the info in all post involving Wilson and his contract talks are assumptions, even your comment "You mean turning down an extension that would pay him fair value in the pursuit of more. " when we don't know if Wilson is shooting for the moon or asking what "we/you" consider fair market.

That's correct. We don't have enough information to determine whether Wilson is being reasonable or unreasonable. I am referring to the numerous people on this board and elsewhere who feel it would be reasonable for Wilson to try to squeeze every penny he can out of these negotiations, without taking into consideration how he can help give the team enough cap flexibility to remain competitive going forward. To believe that the team can continue to be competitive while dedicating over 15% of its resources to a single player would be foolhardy and supported only by one's delusions of grandeur. However, since we don't know what Wilson's stance is, this is more of a philosophical point right now.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Only a simple comment....we dont know if it is RW that is driving this stance...again...it could be the agent...we wont know until a deal is done or not done or whatever.....

Go Freaking Hawks....

Thanks Byau. :)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
kidhawk":ce0y3njg said:
Donk70":ce0y3njg said:
Asking to be paid fair value while working for 1/14 of his value without missing a beat (not even voluntary camps) is hypocritical? Whatever you want to believe.

I'm sticking with my original assessment about the irony of your post in this particular thread
Posts, plural.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Hawks franchised Walter Jones for years in a row. It was just business. He was still pulling in some for-real gelt. It's gonna happen to Wilson if he doesn't sing (or sign, for that matter) a new contract. He'll rake. He's cool. Go Hawks!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
To me.....the positions taken by each side is clear. If you are standing in John and Pete's shoes, you see this proposed contract from their perspective. If you are RW's agent, you see it from another perspective.
It would appear that the Seahawk organization is not going to break the ranks of NFL owners and venture into "uncharted territory" contracts. I've predicted that a deal would get done by the end of July. If RW and his agent stand firm, then I see Russell playing out the final year of his contract. John and Pete have "drawn a line in the sand"!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Jones's career worked out pretty good in Seattle. We can hope the same for Wilson.

Caroll had good QB play at USC but I think it was his team's that were unstoppable. I almost wonder if he is going to be against putting one guy up on pedestal even if it is the qb.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Rocket":zx8ggqao said:
Ya know, I'm kinda tired of people ragging on Russ for negotiating. Walter Jones actually held out and everyone looks at him as the second coming of whomever you believe came first. Wilson is just BEING TALKED ABOUT for the most part by people with smart phones.Russ has another year on his contract and he's committed to play. There isn't indication one that Russell Carrington Wilson will not be fully prepared to play football in the manner to which we have all become accustomed.
Let me say it again...Walter Jones actually held out and he's loved, admired and revered. Don't let the anti-social media talking heads mess with your heads. Be patient and breathe deep... possibly from a pipe or something.
Rocket I know you're a shit stirrer by vocation but like a broken clock you're right....for now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":jr8e1ql2 said:
To me.....the positions taken by each side is clear. If you are standing in John and Pete's shoes, you see this proposed contract from their perspective. If you are RW's agent, you see it from another perspective.
It would appear that the Seahawk organization is not going to break the ranks of NFL owners and venture into "uncharted territory" contracts. I've predicted that a deal would get done by the end of July. If RW and his agent stand firm, then I see Russell playing out the final year of his contract. John and Pete have "drawn a line in the sand"!
Get real, nobody knows anything..."line in the sand"? Geez, this dance hasn't even gone national yet. People need to get a grip already.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Officially Walter Jones did not holdout. He refused to sign the tender which is different than holding out which I believe happens when a player is under contract and refuses to show up. Walter did not ever refuse to show up for work when he was under contract, not one time ever.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2nt9x3t7 said:
Donk70":2nt9x3t7 said:
For a guy who is supposedly "all about the team" and "team first", Russ sure is coming across as a typical player when it comes to money. Even though Im a huge Hawks fan, getting kinda sick of hearing his goody goody schtick, plus seeing/hearing him everywhere and whatnot. Don't really care if they let him walk to be honest. No one individual is bigger than the team and after he signs his huge contract, we're going to have to let some of the other contributors go. Our dynasty window is shrinking, and shrinking, and shrinking. No big deal to me- I was a Hawk fan in 92 and I'll continue to be one.

Can anyone say "irony"?

Pretty much the same things were said about Walter Jones when he was franchised year in and year out. he never truly held out, he just didn't sign his tender until late in training camp, but he always came to camp ready to play and gave every bit of himself out on the field.

Wilson, although the most severely underpaid player in the NFL, hasn't missed even a voluntary workout, and has absolutely zero talk about holding out, yet people still can't see how he's being a team player.

Ridiculousness is abound
Yep, the "Schtick" perception cup runneth over.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
As Willy McGentist (sp) just said on the NFL network, NONE of the other Quarterbacks, NOT Whitehurst, NOT Jackson, and NOT even Flynn would have gotten the Seahawks those Championship titles, and ALL of the folks on air with him agreed, that he (Willy) was right, and that Wilson deserves to get paid as a top of the heap Quarterback.
They also added that Russell Wilson was hampered with not having any true #1 receiving talent to throw to.
They also said, that if it were Andrew Luck asking for that "Highest Paid Player" contract, NOBODY would be arguing against it, and he hasn't even come within ear shout of Russell Wilson's accomplishments.
These were All Pro players from different teams saying this stuff.
I ain't buying all the "him getting paid that big money will only hurt the team" horse crap either.

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3aa43j4n said:
Rocket I know you're a shit stirrer by vocation but like a broken clock you're right....for now.
Nah... I'm misunderstood. Kind, sweet and lovable.

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
Barthawk":v3luwajs said:
Officially Walter Jones did not holdout. He refused to sign the tender which is different than holding out which I believe happens when a player is under contract and refuses to show up. Walter did not ever refuse to show up for work when he was under contract, not one time ever.
I work under a different definition. If you avoid team activities for money reasons I believe you're holding out.
see http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/holdout

YMMV, of course.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I'll never give any of them a pass negotiating for more disposable income. Just sayin.'

peppersjap

Reaction score
I don't think it is fair to throw the Walter Jones comparison in. Walter was the best at his position and one of the best ever to play LT. I think Wilson is great but he is not the best. I think he is close and I believe he should try to get all he can but if he wants more than Aaron Rodgers is paid then I think he is being ridiculous. He also has to know that his contract handcuffs the team if he gets too much. If he is all about the team he should sign somewhere just above Cam Newton. That still makes it hard for the team to work with but he does deserve it and I'm pretty sure that is the area the team is thinking. Who would have thought when we signed Matt Flynn we would be dealing with this a few years later, it sucks in such a good way!

sam1313

Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that RW is the most important person on this team when it comes to wins and losses. If we went solely by that measure, RW probably would deserve 50% of the salary cap.

However, that can't happen, and it would be ridiculously greedy for RW to request anywhere near that percentage. Even what he is currently requesting is already hurting his image. As someone on another website said, "RW and his agent, through their hardball to get highest dollars, may now be hurting his real opportunity to bring in more money through endorsements. If RW is holding our to be the highest paid, I think his wholesome image takes a hit and greed shows through. The longer this goes on, the worse it gets. What companies want to be associated with greed and selfishness?"

I agree with the above, and I also don't know how someone like Russell can look his fellow players in the eye and say, yes we need to cut (Mebane, Irvin, etc.) because I need to be paid at least 100-150% more than any other player on this team. For a man who will almost undoubtedly earn more in endorsements than his NFL salary (while his fellow teammates will only earn a fraction of their salaries), and therefore has more to win from the team's success than his fellow teammates, the position just seems very greedy to me. And while I love Russell it has degraded my opinion of him somewhat.

I will also say that I know we don't really know anything right now. However, RW said "whether I play for $1.5 or $25 million" on air the other day, and his agent said, "I wish he had said $40 million." Together those two statements show RW wants to be paid a giant salary that is an enormous portion of the team's salary cap. It is greedy, and I think it is kind of sad.

Edit: And, in this article, it appears that 45%+ of those polled agree with me. http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dgY7L?utm_ ... e-seahawks (sorry I don't know how to insert hyperlink).

Latest posts