Walter Jones, the off-season and "bad tastes".

Rocket

Reaction score
Ya know, I'm kinda tired of people ragging on Russ for negotiating. Walter Jones actually held out and everyone looks at him as the second coming of whomever you believe came first. Wilson is just BEING TALKED ABOUT for the most part by people with smart phones.Russ has another year on his contract and he's committed to play. There isn't indication one that Russell Carrington Wilson will not be fully prepared to play football in the manner to which we have all become accustomed.
Let me say it again...Walter Jones actually held out and he's loved, admired and revered. Don't let the anti-social media talking heads mess with your heads. Be patient and breathe deep... possibly from a pipe or something.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The main difference is that celebrity gossip and social media have both grown exponentially since the early 2000s. There are benefits to this but the drawback is that to keep a reasonable outlook you need to be able to ignore the bottom 95% amount of content which is mind-numbing trash.

RW's situation is quite interesting from a football perspective and there have been plenty of interesting takes on it if you only pay attention to the best 5%. How does RW rank compared to other QBs? How should that factor into pay? Those are not bad questions they are just flooded with bad responses.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Rocket":u02oiwxk said:
Ya know, I'm kinda tired of people ragging on Russ for negotiating. Walter Jones actually held out and everyone looks at him as the second coming of whomever you believe came first. Wilson is just BEING TALKED ABOUT for the most part by people with smart phones.Russ has another year on his contract and he's committed to play. There isn't indication one that Russell Carrington Wilson will not be fully prepared to play football in the manner to which we have all become accustomed.
Let me say it again...Walter Jones actually held out and he's loved, admired and revered. Don't let the anti-social media talking heads mess with your heads. Be patient and breathe deep... possibly from a pipe or something.

I agree about ragging on Wilson. He's not missed a practice nor has he threatened to miss any time, so that angle is ridiculous.

To say Jones held out is just as ridiculous though. Jones was always tendered as a franchise player. He just didn't sign until late in training camp. He wasn't under contract, so you're not holding out if you aren't signed to a deal.

sutz

Reaction score
To be fair Jones had his share of dissers during his franchise tag days. Including a few that were willing to kick him to the curb. Assuming wilson signs and plays out his career here, this will go the same way, I'm sure.

:229031_shrug:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember this place specifically being pretty anti-Walter during his franchise tag days, at least during the holdouts holdouts. Pretty sure there was a point where we could have cut him and saved a whole bunch of money and been just fine because we had Wayne Hunter.

Donk70

Reaction score
For a guy who is supposedly "all about the team" and "team first", Russ sure is coming across as a typical player when it comes to money. Even though Im a huge Hawks fan, getting kinda sick of hearing his goody goody schtick, plus seeing/hearing him everywhere and whatnot. Don't really care if they let him walk to be honest. No one individual is bigger than the team and after he signs his huge contract, we're going to have to let some of the other contributors go. Our dynasty window is shrinking, and shrinking, and shrinking. No big deal to me- I was a Hawk fan in 92 and I'll continue to be one.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Donk70":z3jfb9yh said:
For a guy who is supposedly "all about the team" and "team first", Russ sure is coming across as a typical player when it comes to money. Even though Im a huge Hawks fan, getting kinda sick of hearing his goody goody schtick, plus seeing/hearing him everywhere and whatnot. Don't really care if they let him walk to be honest. No one individual is bigger than the team and after he signs his huge contract, we're going to have to let some of the other contributors go. Our dynasty window is shrinking, and shrinking, and shrinking. No big deal to me- I was a Hawk fan in 92 and I'll continue to be one.

Can anyone say "irony"?

Pretty much the same things were said about Walter Jones when he was franchised year in and year out. he never truly held out, he just didn't sign his tender until late in training camp, but he always came to camp ready to play and gave every bit of himself out on the field.

Wilson, although the most severely underpaid player in the NFL, hasn't missed even a voluntary workout, and has absolutely zero talk about holding out, yet people still can't see how he's being a team player.

Ridiculousness is abound

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
kidhawk":evona3d7 said:
Wilson, although the most severely underpaid player in the NFL, hasn't missed even a voluntary workout, and has absolutely zero talk about holding out, yet people still can't see how he's being a team player.

Yeah, it's really weird.

Donk70

Reaction score
kidhawk":d4kyf56v said:
Donk70":d4kyf56v said:

Can anyone say "irony"?

Pretty much the same things were said about Walter Jones when he was franchised year in and year out. he never truly held out, he just didn't sign his tender until late in training camp, but he always came to camp ready to play and gave every bit of himself out on the field.

Ridiculousness is abound

Actually, its almost like Wilson is being a hypocrite.

"Sure, Im all about team so lets pay me $20 million so I can be the QB and we can let a few mid tier players go and we'll lack depth all for the sake of me getting mine."

Go team

kidhawk

Reaction score
Donk70":2hgodu2d said:
kidhawk":2hgodu2d said:
Donk70":2hgodu2d said:

Can anyone say "irony"?

Ridiculousness is abound

"Sure, Im all about team so lets pay me $20 million so I can be the QB and we can let a few mid tier players go and we'll lack depth all for the sake of me getting mine."

Go team

Asking to be paid fair value while working for 1/14 of his value without missing a beat (not even voluntary camps) is hypocritical? Whatever you want to believe.

I'm sticking with my original assessment about the irony of your post in this particular thread

Cartire

Reaction score
Donk70":2t5l3gek said:
kidhawk":2t5l3gek said:
Donk70":2t5l3gek said:

Can anyone say "irony"?

Ridiculousness is abound

Go team

Except he didnt say that quote, you did. This is where our instant social-media kills us. You only think he's like that because you've read probably a thousand articles over the last 3 months dissecting every thing he says ad naseum. But you say this, then a few people who read it will get the same thought because they saw it said a thousand time, and before you know it, everyone thinks Russell is a jerk, AND HE HASNT EVEN SAID ANYTHING YET.

How about the fact that no one here actually knows anything about whats going on. And that constantly assuming every position from every person is doing nobody any good. Theres literally people on both sides of this issue, and no one even knows what the issues truly are. How can you be on a side of something you know nothing about?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":21gou62f said:
Donk70":21gou62f said:
kidhawk":21gou62f said:
Donk70":21gou62f said:

Can anyone say "irony"?

Ridiculousness is abound

Go team

Asking to be paid fair value while working for 1/14 of his value without missing a beat (not even voluntary camps) is hypocritical? Whatever you want to believe.

I'm sticking with my original assessment about the irony of your post in this particular thread

You mean turning down an extension that would pay him fair value in the pursuit of more.

Whitsitt was an idiot . . . I can't defend anything he did with regards to a fair extension for WJ from 2003-04.

Schneider, on the other hand, has a proven track record of fairly compensating our best players.

I just hope Wilson is taking the team into consideration when weighing whether to accept the team's offers for his first extension. There has to be a balance between signing a fair deal and allowing the team to retain enough cap flexibility to remain competitive.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
The last 10 seconds of sanity sponsored by Rocket.

Look, this guy is should be paid 22 mill+ a year. The guy has earned that amount of pay, and that's the going rate for an insanely good quarterback. I don't care if you think that is greedy, you are wrong.

This guy entertains millions of people, and is at the pinnacle of human ability, and quite honestly amazing to observe on Sundays. He deserves however much money he can get, and probably more then he will ever receive. This guy makes so much money for the NFL its almost unrealistic. In my business I pay my employees 30%(good wage) of the work they do, and based on their ability to make the company money they get paid. You want more money work for it, and it's yours. Think of the money he brings into the company. Pro players are NOT overpaid, they are underpaid based on the money they generate.

We are going to be looking back at this time in Hawks History so fondly, and telling our kids/grandkids how much fun we had watching an amazing athlete in Russell. The guys ability to escape pressure will make him a legend in Seattle.

seedhawk

Reaction score
We all should probably save our vitriol for Goodell and Smith. They are the ones responsible for the current CBA that does not permit rewarding new guys for X amount of years.

Sure looks like most of the money guys like Bennett thought would flow thru to them are going to specific positions. Qb, Rush end, lockdown corner, Wr. Sorry guys, be careful what you wish for.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":15lmziop said:
You mean turning down an extension that would pay him fair value in the pursuit of more.

Whitsitt was an idiot . . . I can't defend anything he did with regards to a fair extension for WJ from 2003-04.

Schneider, on the other hand, has a proven track record of fairly compensating our best players.

I just hope Wilson is taking the team into consideration when weighing whether to accept the team's offers for his first extension. There has to be a balance between signing a fair deal and allowing the team to retain enough cap flexibility to remain competitive.

You are making assumptions. We have no idea what's been offered, or what's been counter offered. This could be more about structure or guarantees than it is about total dollars. There are many nuances in contracts, and especially ones like this. There is absolutely no rush on our part, as he's not holding out and we still have him under contract. The only leverage right now is the fact that his number will likely rise as more quarterbacks get signed in the interim.

Still, the guy is playing under a minuscule contract right now without a single complaint. No reason to worry about what he may or may not be asking for until we actually see the terms for what he ends up signing.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":1vo2xfk9 said:
hawknation2015":1vo2xfk9 said:

You are making assumptions. We have no idea what's been offered, or what's been counter offered. This could be more about structure or guarantees than it is about total dollars. There are many nuances in contracts, and especially ones like this. There is absolutely no rush on our part, as he's not holding out and we still have him under contract. The only leverage right now is the fact that his number will likely rise as more quarterbacks get signed in the interim.

Still, the guy is playing under a minuscule contract right now without a single complaint. No reason to worry about what he may or may not be asking for until we actually see the terms for what he ends up signing.

The whole premise of this thread is based on an absurd comparison, since Whitsett's operating practices could not be any different than Schneider's. We don't have enough information yet to know whether Russell is being reasonable or unreasonable.

Once again, I hope Wilson is taking the team into consideration when weighing whether to accept the team's offers for his first extension. There has to be a balance between signing a fair deal and allowing the team to retain enough cap flexibility to remain competitive.

LTH

Reaction score
This is a business pure and simple... These teams and players dont care what the fans think at all...its all about the money... and if you think it isnt you are wrong.. and thats it there is nothing more other than illusion...

LTH

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LTH":lo9cqy9g said:
This is a business pure and simple... These teams and players dont care what the fans think at all...its all about the money... and if you think it isnt you are wrong.. and thats it there is nothing more other than illusion...

LTH

This is the exact contention that I disagree with . . . in the NFL, franchise QBs can make it more difficult for their teams to win by demanding to be paid more than 15% of the salary cap. This is why every recent franchise QB who has signed an extension has made some effort to allow their team enough cap flexibility to remain competitive, not to mention the QBs who have willingly restructured their contracts to actually lower their cap hits.

If Russell has the kind of tunnel vision that you envision, then no, his negotiation stance would NOT be reasonable. Ultimately, he would be imperiling his own ability to win.

LTH

Reaction score
you might disagree with it... but the bottom line is... Its all about the money because this is a business and nothing more in the real world...