UPDATE: Seahawks traded for Percy Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCoug

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":17byl1wl said:
Funny how some people would seem to rather have the "best value team" in the league than just the flat out best. We paid more than a #1 because he is a known quantity in the league, not a crapshoot rookie. We got a damn good player with the #1 pick at an area of need, and people complain about compensation. He will get paid and eat up some cap space, but WE GOT A DAMN GOOD PLAYER THAT COULD HELP US WIN THE SUPER BOWL. Just because it wasn't a blue light special doesn't mean it's a bad move. There's nothing wrong with paying market price now and then.

As a diehard Toronto Blue Jays fan as well as a Hawks fan (lifer, not just a frontrunner now) I'll borrow a line from the Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos. He says that you want both teams to feel like they come away as winners from any trade because you want to continue to have a good working relationship with the other clubs in the league. If you're consistently ripping people off, people are going to stop doing business with you. Win/Win trades are what's best for everybody involved. This looks like one of those trades. In order to get, you have to give.

Great post Absolut. I agree 100%. I'm not the biggest fan of Percy Harvin the person, but as a football player he's dynamite. Let's hope that Pete works his magic with him and that the football gods bless his beat up, brittle body with a clean bill of health in the future.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
pinksheets":2vhwniid said:
If you just took Percy away from the Vikes and threw him into the draft pool as he is, where do you think he goes in this draft?
Here's an interesting way to look at the value of the draft picks that we gave up for Harvin.

This year's 1st rounder is worth 720 points.

This year's 7th rounder is worth 4.6 points (approximately).

Next year's 4th rounder is worth this year's 5th rounder at 30.2 points.

Add them together and you get a total of 754.8 points, which is almost equivalent to pick #23 (760 points).

If Harvin were in this year's draft, he'd most certainly be drafted before pick #23.

I call that good value for the Hawks.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Gunner":3t37r5p6 said:
Just a quick hypothetical question, and please bare in mind I'm in love with this trade, I think it has the potential to be a great move, and it truly pushes us to another level.

With that being said, last season another player with known off the field issues was traded, so just want to throw this out there, would you rather have Harvin for what we have given up or Brandon Marshall for two 3rd rounders?
Yeah, but it's not everyday you're in the middle of a phonecall with Jeff Ireland and he strokes out. Hard to use that trade as a measuring stick.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I never would have guessed the Hawks would have made this move offensively. Russell Wilson is now Seattle football and just got a tool to make us an offensive powerhouse. I am thinking the defense isn't getting big money FA's now, will be interesting to see how the DL plays out. They must have some faith in Scruggs to do this trade.

The Seahawks made that fundamental shift from defensive minded to offensive minded. First name Russell last name Touchdown.

DynoHawk

Reaction score
sturg78":vf10qavs said:
I have faith in people being paid to know more then me, but isn't Percy Harvin essentially golden Tate with speed? Not that two gts would be a bad thing but I didn't think wr was a need.

Wasn't Harvin in MVP consideration/Talk before he got hurt here in Seattle last year? I'd say he's a bit more than Tate.

General Manager

Reaction score
Harvin changes so many things for the opposing defense and makes our whole Offense better.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2ewfnoya said:
I never would have guessed the Hawks would have made this move offensively. Russell Wilson is now Seattle football and just got a tool to make us an offensive powerhouse. I am thinking the defense isn't getting big money FA's now, will be interesting to see how the DL plays out. They must have some faith in Scruggs to do this trade.

... First name Dangeruss last name Touchdown.

Fixed.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I like the player and I like him as a Seahawk. I just don't know if I like the deal. I really saw a lot of Harvin in Golden Tate. Either way, he makes the offense even better regardless of the salary. You can look at it from the draft perspective, the Hawks were going to be looking at another WR somewhere. This way, they have one that can ball immediately and provide some seriously dangerous play out of the R/O on top of being just amazing after the catch.

Gunner

Reaction score
pinksheets":7k9bz7jb said:
Gunner":7k9bz7jb said:
Just a quick hypothetical question, and please bare in mind I'm in love with this trade, I think it has the potential to be a great move, and it truly pushes us to another level.

With that being said, last season another player with known off the field issues was traded, so just want to throw this out there, would you rather have Harvin for what we have given up or Brandon Marshall for two 3rd rounders?
Yeah, but it's not everyday you're in the middle of a phonecall with Jeff Ireland and he strokes out. Hard to use that trade as a measuring stick.

Very true, but it does sort of put the value were paying into perspective, as Marshall is more of a prototypical #1 wideout with crazy production, but with how our offense is now set up I can see Harvin, providing he stays healthy produce similarly.

Plus, our 3rd rounder sort of turned out to be an alright player as luck would have it!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Well, this sucks. Now there's no reason to watch the first day of the draft.

#firstworldproblems

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Lady Talon":dxwq2g6d said:

The Seahawks made that fundamental shift from defensive minded to offensive minded. First name Russell last name Touchdown.

I don't know that they shifted from one side of the ball to the other. I think they're trying to achieve strength on both sides of the ball, and this move helps accomplish that. And for the record, I don't think that a big money FA on D was ever going to happen even without the Harvin trade.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
From a comment in the Bleacher Report, article on it, here is the best summary of what the Vikings are losing:

Vikings now have 4 offensive plays:
AP to the left
AP in the middle
AP to the right
Ponder sack

If we were getting a low first rounder, a throwaway seventh rounder, and a mid-rounder next year for losing a star wide receiver in his prime, would we be happy about it? I think not. I think this place would be meltdown city, followed by a rash of ankle injuries at local hospitals from all the folks bailing off the bandwagon.

This trade is better for Seattle than it is for Minnesota, folks.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sarlacc83":1exg193t said:

#firstworldproblems

Not so fast. Knowing this front office, they're already lined up to trade back into the first round with another team. Probably Cleveland. And they'll probably get it for our first round pick next year and a Happy Meal.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3ro6khch said:
From a comment in the Bleacher Report, article on it, here is the best summary of what the Vikings are losing:

Vikings now have 4 offensive plays:
AP to the left
AP in the middle
AP to the right
Ponder sack

If we were getting a low first rounder, a throwaway seventh rounder, and a mid-rounder next year for losing a star wide receiver in his prime, would we be happy about it? I think not. I think this place would be meltdown city, followed by a rash of ankle injuries at local hospitals from all the folks bailing off the bandwagon.

This trade is better for Seattle than it is for Minnesota, folks.

Maybe, but they do have an extra 1st round pick to use on finding a good replacement receiver.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The Outfield":3jmdskzr said:
Lady Talon":3jmdskzr said:

... First name Dangeruss last name Soon To Be Super Bowl Champion.

Fixed.
Fixed again. :D

GO ZAGS!!!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2f1du9wf said:

#firstworldproblems

Does this mean I dont get to bitch this year about how they always cut to commercial during our pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.