Update: Seahawks let Leon pick his destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Wait a sec... I'm completely discombobulated now... We just cut, not trade, one of the best kick/punt returners in the game, and we are now gonna use our brand-new, hot shit/franchise injury-prone reciever to return punts, one of the most dangerous positions there is? Does this make sense to everybody? Somebody please inject some sense into me, 'cause I'm not too happy about this right now. I am a big Leon fan... :evil:

brettb3

Reaction score
BlueThunder":2vjvtdw7 said:
Wait a sec... I'm completely discombobulated now... We let one of the best kick/punt returners in the game go, and we're now gonna use our brand-new, hot shit/franchise injury-prone reciever to return punts now, one of the most dangerous positions there is? Does this make sense to everybody? Somebody please inject some sense into me, 'cause I'm not too happy right now. I am a big Leon fan... :evil:
Harvin won't return punts.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Extremely dissapointed with this. Leon was one of my favorite Hawks. I never felt like we were out of reach in any game because of him. This sounds crazy, but I could always "feel" a big return when we needed it. The only game I went to this year was the NE game, a tipping point game, and it was Leon who set us up with great field position.

I also loved how he battled adversity. He had one of the nastiest injuries you will ever see, but rebounded to be an absolute difference maker. I mean, my goodness, he was just in the probowl a few months ago. I don't think there is any shot he ends up back with the Hawks on a bargain deal, he's much too talented. The only thing I hope for is that he doesn't end up a Niner. I don't want to get beat by karma next year.

Godspeed Leon! One of my favorite Hawks. I will miss screaming your name as the ball is kicked off, best of luck!

themunn

Reaction score
BlueThunder":11aokwoz said:
Wait a sec... I'm completely discombobulated now... We just cut, not trade, one of the best kick/punt returners in the game, and we are now gonna use our brand-new, hot shit/franchise injury-prone reciever to return punts, one of the most dangerous positions there is? Does this make sense to everybody? Somebody please inject some sense into me, 'cause I'm not too happy about this right now. I am a big Leon fan... :evil:

I just don't get this, punt returners never get injured! Leon's injury when he was a Jet came on a 1st down run!

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
Leon, you will be missed. Tough time of the year sometimes, get used to it though, cause these things have to happen if you want your team to stay on top of the league.

As far as Percy returning for us, I don't see it. Now that Tate is almost our #3 WR I think you might see him back there doing his thing on KR and PR.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pinksheets":a91y4xt2 said:
I like Leon, but I'm hoping this means we can upgrade at that 3rd RB spot, hopefully with a younger more dynamic COP guy.
This is what I was thinking.

Washington has not been done dirty. His career was resurrected by the Hawks, and he is a hell of a kick returner. But when he was signed to his new deal, it was with the understanding he would be a part time running back now that his leg was fully healed, and that never really happened. I don't think he ever was meant to be a single back behind zone blocking.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
BlueThunder":vtffrzht said:

Have you seen Harvin return kickoffs? While Leon may be "one of the best", Harvin may be THE best. Its part of why he is such an exceptional talent.

I hate losing Leon as well. If he wasnt at 3 million it would bother me we were cutting him. Maybe we can get him back cheaper...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1qx70pzd said:
pinksheets":1qx70pzd said:
I like Leon, but I'm hoping this means we can upgrade at that 3rd RB spot, hopefully with a younger more dynamic COP guy.

Washington has not been done dirty. His career was resurrected by the Hawks, and he is a hell of a kick returner. But when he was signed to his new deal, it was with the understanding he would be a part time running back now that his leg was fully healed, and that never really happened. I don't think he ever was meant to be a single back behind zone blocking.

Everyone needs to read this post again and again.

Leon has been treated more than fairly by our organization. We took a chance on him when other teams questioned whether he would even play again.

But the fact remains that his RB role never really materialized, so we were paying nearly $3M this year for a guy who only contributed as a returner - which, by the way, is a position that has less impact now than it did back when we traded for Leon, due to the rule changes in the league.

By the way, for those talking about how dangerous it is to put Harvin back on kick and punt returns, can you all name the last time a returner got seriously dinged up returning a kick or punt? Cribbs got concussed, sure... who else?

penihawk

Reaction score
If leon doesnt get a deal out on the market that isnt much above the league minimum he will be brought back.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hh9y537a said:
pinksheets":hh9y537a said:

I'd love it if they went with a change of pace guy from the draft. There's one guy out there that I think fits the "unique traits" department more than any of the others. He's got versatility as he can play out wide as well as return kicks.

"Ask now, ask how, ask" Kerwynn Williams. I've always wanted to have the player with the longest nickname on the Seahawks...

I'd love it with we drafted both Williams and Denard Robinson to be honest. I think Williams will have more of an immediate impact because he's played the position longer. I think Robinson has the bigger upside down the road because he's got better athleticism and more talent than Williams, just my opinion. All he needs is some polish, but I think both will have solid careers as RB/WR/KR types.

You're right though. Leon wasn't done dirty. You could tell it hurt John Schneider to have to cut Leon but Leon handled it with class and understood that it was the move that had to be made. He's a smart guy. This was one of those great relationships that just has to come to an end for both sides to better themselves for the future. Leon is a baller, he's got that John Abraham trait in him and I could see him returning kicks a lot longer. Crazy that the Jets actually used to produce some tough, durable bastards. Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet come to mind as well, Richie Anderson too. This isn't the end for Leon. At the same time, he wants to be out there returning kicks. With JS/PC trying to maximize Harvin's talent and have him return kicks (I think Tate will get to return some kicks/punts too), there was just no way he was going to get any burn. Towards the end of the season they had him in there at the end of 1st halfs in the two minute drill. Against Arizona he had a pretty nice day (who didn't), and showed that he could still run the ball as a backup, just in a different type of offense. Now he's free to pick where he wants to go next. I expect he'll get a few offers but Gus Bradley brings him home to Jacksonville and he takes the KR job from Jordan Todman and the PR job from Quan Cosby.

OP
OP
SeahawksFanForever

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
@RossTuckerNFL: Leon Washington just told us on @SiriusXMNFL that Bucs tried to trade for him but Seahawks granted him his release

It probably would have been a late round pick but I love this move by the hawks. It sends message to rest of the guys that are with us. PC & JS must really love Leon.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Wow - that is an amazing show of class. Good job JS and PC.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2c2jglgg said:
Scottemojo":2c2jglgg said:
pinksheets":2c2jglgg said:

Everyone needs to read this post again and again.

Leon has been treated more than fairly by our organization. We took a chance on him when other teams questioned whether he would even play again.

But the fact remains that his RB role never really materialized, so we were paying nearly $3M this year for a guy who only contributed as a returner - which, by the way, is a position that has less impact now than it did back when we traded for Leon, due to the rule changes in the league.

By the way, for those talking about how dangerous it is to put Harvin back on kick and punt returns, can you all name the last time a returner got seriously dinged up returning a kick or punt? Cribbs got concussed, sure... who else?

Mark Mariani the Titans Pro Bowl Returner broke his leg on a return last pre-season is still recovering from it.

Not saying Harvin shouldn't return kicks, because frankly he is a crazy weapon back there. But it does happen (although I agree it is rare.)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
With this news, it cements, in my mind, how well this organization has treated Leon. They made him a commodity on the market to the point where a team actually wanted to trade for him (and we know how much JS loves his draft picks), but they let him go where he wanted instead. Nice.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Just when you thought you couldn't love this team and it's front office anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.