Update: Seahawks let Leon pick his destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettb3

Reaction score
The Radish":393naxk1 said:
Harvin won't return punts.[/quote:393naxk1 said:
Well you're in disagreements with Pete then. He said he would return punts during the press release about the hiring.

:roll:
No, he didn't. He said he would return kicks.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Good, for the FO and Leon. Classy move. Leon deserved better and they did all they could for him, once they were no longer part of their plans.

Good Luck Leon, please go to the AFC and terrorize them.

Teqneek

Reaction score
The Radish":10vvct82 said:
Harvin won't return punts.[/quote:10vvct82 said:
Well you're in disagreements with Pete then. He said he would return punts during the press release about the hiring.

Then your in disagreement with your ear drums... He said he would be returning Kick offs during the press release.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If we're looking at change of pace back (with the possibility of returning punts/kicks), one could do worse than Kenjon Barner.

I personally don't think much of his ability to block or run. Let's just say it has room for improvement. But as a pass catcher, I see a guy who is electric in space. He should be available late day 3.

The Radish

Reaction score
Teqneek":2o7djzdm said:
The Radish":2o7djzdm said:
Harvin won't return punts.[/quote:2o7djzdm said:

Then your in disagreement with your ear drums... He said he would be returning Kick offs during the press release.

Oh very sorry about my incorrect nomenclature.

Can't argue about my ears cause my hearing sucks. Bid I read it not listened to it.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Dang, that's some heartwarming stuff. Definitely glad they're treating the man so well. He deserves it.

I hope he ends up where he wants to be and for a good deal.

Sturm

Reaction score
Wait...so Tampa was going to offer us a draft pick for him and Pete turned it down???

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sturm":2etastk0 said:
Wait...so Tampa was going to offer us a draft pick for him and Pete turned it down???

If they went to Leon and asked him what he preferred to do, I have no problem with that. Maybe Leon wants to go somewhere besides Tampa, or perhaps it wasn't a draft pick, maybe they offered us some player in return, who knows. I just think that if the organization did right by one of the most liked players in the locker room, that will be of much more benefit to us keeping and attracting players than a low value draft pick.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Sturm":15dvmszw said:

Looks that way. Not sure how I feel about that unless Leon was absolutely against playing for the Bucs.

I like the "Good Guy Pete" angle, and we didn't give up much to get Leon here from the Jets, and if we're talking about a 7th rounder anyway...still a strange side to a pretty ice cold business duo between Pete and John.

mikeak

Reaction score
Two things comes to mind

1) He better not sign with Tampa :)

2) We may want him back at $1million or something. By doing this we gamble that he isn't offered significantly more than that and this gives us an opportunity to re-sign him. If we trade him that is not happening.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I seriously doubt the pick offered by TB was of any material value, otherwise we wouldn't have declined the opportunity to take it or shopped Leon in the first place. I'm willing to bet it was (at best) a conditional 7th in the 2014 draft contingent upon Leon playing in a minimum number of games for the Bucs in 2013.....which is about all you can expect to be offered for a 31-year old guy who only contributes as a returner.

drdiags

Reaction score
Jason Sehorn, who at the time was a pretty good DB for the NY Giants got jacked up returning a kick-off, a role he begged the HC to let him do. Lead to his retirement from the league.

The release vs trade of Leon allows him to potentially pocket some signing bonus money, unless his new team only wants to give him a vet minimum deal with no guarantee money. I think he should be able to get a little more than that.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1bkxd6rh said:
CANHawk":1bkxd6rh said:
RolandDeschain":1bkxd6rh said:
This damned near makes me want to cry. God, I love our front office and head coach.

Pussy......

<snif>

...pass the tissue.

*Kicks box of Kleenex across the floor under the table to CAN*

Actually...he wants the one you just used.

Don't ask.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
That's kind of weird. Leon grew up in Florida and played college ball there. And Tampa Bay isn't really a terrible team, and they're in play for Revis (good friend of Washington's btw).

To me, sounds like the most plausible explanation is the Bucs offered a signed player that Seattle just had no interest in. Wouldn't surprise me to see Leon actually end up signing there.

BattleOfSeattle

Reaction score
It's certainly a classy move for a classy player.

Personally, I would have rather John try to recoup as much draft capital from the Percy Harvin trade as possible, since that move made Leon expendable in the first place. At least we minimize his cap hit by releasing him, and open another valuable roster spot for someone who can contribute outside of mostly kick returns. The versatility of Tate and now Harvin will help to avoid that redundancy, and that's a good thing. That vacated roster spot can now be filled with another pass rusher, cornerback, playmaker on offense, or just depth. Solid move.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":azfsqxmn said:
@RossTuckerNFL: Leon Washington just told us on @SiriusXMNFL that Bucs tried to trade for him but Seahawks granted him his release

It probably would have been a late round pick but I love this move by the hawks. It sends message to rest of the guys that are with us. PC & JS must really love Leon.
That is awesome. Man I love this FO. All the best to Leon where ever he ends up.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I woke up feeling like I wanted to say a few last words about Leon. Check it out if you'd like. He's visiting with the Pats right now. As much as I hate them, I'd definitely put that aside and root for Leon. Hopefully I don't have to make that choice. Still holding out hope that he joins Gus Bradley in Jacksonville, that way I can root for the both of them!

http://seafense.blogspot.com/2013/03/gone-but-never-forgotten-leon-washington.html

Status
Not open for further replies.