Unreal stats

Chapow

Reaction score
So yeah. You want to cut down on the strikeouts, you're probably going to need to get rid of guys like Teo and Geno. But if you get rid of guys like Teo and Geno, you're getting rid of your 2 best run producers not named Julio.

sutz

Reaction score
Geno has the additional advantage of a near gold glove performance at 3d base. Teo was probably an average OF at best.

I believe Ty France had his worst year as a pro, and it dates back to his wrist injury last year. He hasn't really been right since then. I hope some off season therapy or treatment/surgery can help that.

I think they spent the first half of the season trying too hard to make the All Star game at the home stadium.

Plus, their hitting philosophy has no answers for the weather in April and late September when the temps are cooler and the HR production naturally drops. Probably too much emphasis on "power" and not enough on "contact."

Msfann

Reaction score
A good friend of mine met with Mariner management years ago (maybe 12-15?) they told him to his face they didn't WANT to go to the playoffs too often. It made their players more visible and made them more expensive in arbitration.
He ran a data/analytics company then.
They asked him to put together numbers to show how often they could miss the playoffs and still keep fan interest.
Specifically, when asked about goals (since he originally go the meeting to share how data could help scouting) he was told that the goal was not to win the World Series or to go to the playoffs, in fact they didn't want to go to the playoffs too often (see above).
Their goal was to be a top 10 in attendance ball club and hit certain #s in merch.
Sounds like they nailed it based on what I've seen so far.

The Mariners rarely go to playoffs. Just squeaked in last year. Still get lots of merch sales. Lots of fan interest.
(Plenty of hope being sold for a team that rarely does anything)

BTW The Mariners are ranked 10th in MLB attendance....just like the Mariners wanted back then. 1 playoff run in 21 years, and people still buy tickets and hats. The Ms must be thrilled to see their projections worked out so well. Amazing.
And they lie their asses off to the fans making it sound like they are really trying to win, and the fans pour money into the team buying tickets and merchandise and the ownership gets richer and the fans get screwed. The owners are a bunch of cucks for going along with this, they obviously don't care about winning either, they love it that used car Jerry cons the fans every year and makes them tons of money, he'll probably get another extension and this will become the 20 year plan.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Stopped watching/following the m's 10-15 years ago because of the same things I'm reading in this thread, lol. But hey, fireworks and star wars night!!

Never Change m's.

balakoth

Reaction score
Geno has the additional advantage of a near gold glove performance at 3d base. Teo was probably an average OF at best.

I believe Ty France had his worst year as a pro, and it dates back to his wrist injury last year. He hasn't really been right since then. I hope some off season therapy or treatment/surgery can help that.

I think they spent the first half of the season trying too hard to make the All Star game at the home stadium.

Plus, their hitting philosophy has no answers for the weather in April and late September when the temps are cooler and the HR production naturally drops. Probably too much emphasis on "power" and not enough on "contact."
Actually he was way above average as an OF... according to stats..

balakoth

Reaction score
I watched maybe 4 Teo blunders in 150 games... Yes he swung at some dumb crap.. but faulting his fielding is just people reaching