Unpopular opinion alert: Marshawn Lynch is being immature

Largent80

Reaction score
To me, the media is being antagonistic. They all know he doesn't like a mic in his face and isn't going to give them anything, but there they are, all shoving a mic in his face, and it is all money motivated.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I get more out of the Lynch interviews than most of the other NFL players interviews combined.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
This is so stupid. Who figgen cares if he talks to the media, obligation no obligation. Stupidity in motion there.

I wish some more players or coaches would do it that when they do not want to talk, frig is watching Belichick say nothing over and over again that enjoyable, is it entertaining to anyone? How about Krapmynicks, painful.

I find the one word answer response way more entertaining which is not saying much.

I think that all of those who think Marshawn is being immature are immature ;)

We don't know him personally and we do not know what really went on. I have not, nor has anyone else here walked in his shoes.

As long as he shows up on Sundays and trucks a few defenders I am 100% satisfied with his NFL obligations.

Schadie001

Reaction score
I love Marshawn there is no doubt, but I love even more that he stands by his principles. Just like with most things people are not focusing on the reason why Marshawn doesn't want to talk to the media. He feels he was wronged by the media, when he was accused of different things they reported it without ever caring to hear his side of the story. So if they didn't care to hear from him then why are they sooooo eager to hear from him following a game? Because they know he "has" to talk to them. Is that reporting? Not in my opinion. Is there any value to asking him the questions that are being asked? I be ashamed if I were a reporter and the only thing I ask is how do you feel about the win or loss. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing that Marshawn could say following a game that his play on the field didn't already answer.

So at the end of the day if the NFL or "his boss" is going to make him talk. I am perfectly fine with him answering exactly how HE wants to answer. The media doesn't deserve nor have they done anything to earn a better response.

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":26rnhhgp said:
ZorntoLargent":26rnhhgp said:
And then purposely trying to get a story out of him when you KNOW he doesn't want to talk?
I think THAT is why he's being immature. He made his case, yet they STILL come over and bother him knowing he won't give them any REAL answer.
The local radio guys know not to even try.
It's like, "hey lets go see if we can make him react".

The point is that the media is allowed to interview him, according to marshawns boss. Marshawn is not allowed to just blow them off, according to marshawns boss. That's all that matters

Marshawn is ordered to talk to the media. He is following that rule. He is not required to give intelligent, thoughtful answers. When the league starts telling them they have to give intelligent thoughtful answers to the media then half the league will be getting fined.

Marshawn is making a statement while following what he is told to do by the letter of the law.

Here's an example....
I'm the a salesman for XYZ Company. I am the best damn salesman in the entire company and among the top salesman in the world. At our sales meeting every week my boss asks me to bring the donuts. So I show up to the meeting with some nasty tasting, stale donuts they got on clearance 2 days ago.

I did what I was told but do you think they'll ask me to bring donuts again? Do you think what I offer the company as a salesman doesn't trump the fact that I am terrible at bringing donuts? If the company thinks my donut purchasing skills are not sufficient for my role and make me no longer an asset to the company then I'm sure it will reflect on my next contract negotiation, but I think XYZ company can have the big lazy fat guy that never meets his quota but loves donuts to bring in the donuts every week.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I think a lot of people forget his quote to Dion last year.

"Talkin' ain't never won me nothing"
or very similar.
I'm not even convinced it's 100% the media that he don't like.
IMHO it's his philosophy, and I respect it.

Northhawk

Reaction score
I'm glad we have so many certified health care professionals on this board who are able to diagnose and dismiss Lynch's mental state. I think most of the "suck it up gang" would be more tolerant if they or someone they love suffered from anxiety issues. Again, I'm not saying Lynch does, but we don't know and he might. I'm just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And, having worked as a reporter in the past, believe me this is being pushed by media because they see it as a direct threat to their livelihood which it is. If more athletes follow Lynch's lead, media will have less material to manufacture news around. However, Lynch is just following the lead of many in public life including some senior NFL types and politicians in limiting his interactions with media.

The cause those on Lynch's case are helping is the media's agenda to make $$$ but, for me, freedom of speech applies equally to the right to speak and, in this case, not speak.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
i am sure those that expect him to do more than make himself available would most certainly object should they have to work for free. i mean, if your contract says you have to work 7 hours a day, why should you be asked to work 8? surely, it is not a technicality for you to insist you only work 7.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":28eh9zvj said:

or very similar.

He's just about that action...

Boss.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3vei7cng said:
The NFL should just keep fining him. At some point it will become too much of a cost issue and he will act like an adult and fulfill his contractual obligation.
Or maybe the media should back off and go talk with somebody that actually likes giving out useless drivel. If I were made to talk like he is they would be lucky not to have me just cuss them out 100% of the time. They should count themselves lucky he even gives them a response. I suppose he could just say he has anxiety issues but it isn't their business in the first place. I figure the media should get a clue and speak with whoever else of the 52 guys that happen to be in that lockerroom that actually want to talk and move on already.

It's beyond ridiculous that the NFL can actually require a person to talk with the media in the first place. That is beyond your actual job requirements end of story. You are paid to perform on the field in whatever capacity not be some dog and pony show for reporters.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, If Marshawn Lynch were a Niner, I doubt nearly as many people would be all up in arms at moments notice to defend his honor in this regards. I love Marshawn as any other Hawk fan should, but for the sake of argument I'm taking the blue and green colored glasses off.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2cwf2jsc said:
Like I said earlier, If Marshawn Lynch were a Niner, I doubt nearly as many people would be all up in arms at moments notice to defend his honor in this regards. I love Marshawn as any other Hawk fan should, but for the sake of argument I'm taking the blue and green colored glasses off.
Not true given I don't really care what any of them say. Rarely do you ever get anything worth the time to listen for it. It's all empty platitudes and doublespeak bereft of actual information. And why would I care what their opinion is on some actual issue or political stance?

Just give me the results, statistics, and analysis of the games given that will tell you far more then the players will (unless you have a deep understanding of the sport/terminology which the majority of fandom doesn't and doesn't even care to) if they actually went into the subject beyond a soundbyte.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't give a rats butt how he acts in front of a camera and/or an interview. I care how he plays on game day, and he's a flat out Beast (no pun intended).

Was that immature of me?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The league is never going to cave on this issue, because it'd open up a can of worms for every other player and coach who doesn't like talking to the media to claim they also have anxiety issues.........and Belicheat would be first in line for that nonsense.

Here's how I'd fix this problem. I'd tell Marshawn to choose a local reporter of his liking, and let them sit in a room alone after the game to get quotes. That way it's one on one, quiet with no crush of reporters making Marshawn uncomfortable.

If Lynch truly does has some sort of social anxiety issue, then he'd say yes to this. If he says no, then he's just being difficult.

pmedic920

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":2d8o7mw0 said:
pmedic920":2d8o7mw0 said:

or very similar.

He's just about that action...

Boss.

Right, and it seems that's what we remember most about that moment. Again I think the more profound part is "talkin ain't won me nothing"

And on a side note. So many want to say, "it's part of the job/ in his contract.
Screw that, how many of y'all have fudged a little on your resume or stretched the truth on what you would be willing to do, to land a job.
Who the Hell are we to say that whatever it is, hasn't evolved or gotten worse as time has gone by?
What if he's just being a spoiled brat?
I don't care, if that's the case, he's our spoiled brat, right?
Maybe he's just being like many of us, he found something that bugs the people that bug him, and he's running with it.
IMHO he's not hurting ANYBODY.
I love me some BeastMode.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":19q9eh7h said:
Tech Worlds":19q9eh7h said:
The NFL should just keep fining him. At some point it will become too much of a cost issue and he will act like an adult and fulfill his contractual obligation.
Or maybe the media should back off and go talk with somebody that actually likes giving out useless drivel. If I were made to talk like he is they would be lucky not to have me just cuss them out 100% of the time. They should count themselves lucky he even gives them a response. I suppose he could just say he has anxiety issues but it isn't their business in the first place. I figure the media should get a clue and speak with whoever else of the 52 guys that happen to be in that lockerroom that actually want to talk and move on already.

It's beyond ridiculous that the NFL can actually require a person to talk with the media in the first place. That is beyond your actual job requirements end of story. You are paid to perform on the field in whatever capacity not be some dog and pony show for reporters.
Incorrect

Largent80

Reaction score
How many cliches and stupid comments from players do we really need to hear?

"Yeah, we gotta stop Lynch and hope to contain Wilson".....I never watch or even listen to interviews, they are all the same and have been since like forever...Who cares?

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":q4rzxo6t said:
The league is never going to cave on this issue, because it'd open up a can of worms for every other player and coach who doesn't like talking to the media to claim they also have anxiety issues.........and Belicheat would be first in line for that nonsense.

Here's how I'd fix this problem. I'd tell Marshawn to choose a local reporter of his liking, and let them sit in a room alone after the game to get quotes. That way it's one on one, quiet with no crush of reporters making Marshawn uncomfortable.

If Lynch truly does has some sort of social anxiety issue, then he'd say yes to this. If he says no, then he's just being difficult.

Marshawn tried that and got fined. IIRC, the rules state that players have to be available to the media at large after every game and after practice once a week...unless they're deemed a "star" player - then it's twice a week.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Is anyone here personally inconvenienced by Marshawn not answering reporter questions?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3eykr0i0 said:
Is anyone here personally inconvenienced by Marshawn not answering reporter questions?

So I guess you never give your opinion online about anything that doesn't personally inconvenience u ever.