Tush push

JPatera76

Reaction score
Tush Push... tonight when they showed the overhead shot of it.. the center was well over the LOS .. like his shoulders where on or over the LOS as well.. so the center already has a "head start"...

sutz

Reaction score
The way to stop it is to not allow it. Get those stops on 1st and 2d down so you don't get to 3d and short. 🤷‍♂️

cymatica

Reaction score
Tush Push... tonight when they showed the overhead shot of it.. the center was well over the LOS .. like his shoulders where on or over the LOS as well.. so the center already has a "head start"...
Then we should have lined up touching helmets

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There's no way to stop it. You can't get lower than them, or you'll just get lain on top of. You can't go significantly higher than them or your entire IDL will have destroyed ACLs. You can't go slightly higher than them or you'll get out-leveraged. You can't go at the same level and win, because the offensive wedge they form will win on that no matter how much meat you have on the IDL, as every team has been shown for like 30 games straight.

They have something special going, and no one has cracked the code. No one runs it as well as they do. I don't think it's possible to stop it without getting outright dirty and basically killing Hurts after he's already gained the first.

I am for it being legislated out of the game because the actual way to combat it is fully illegal for the defense, which would be to push against the Eagles IOL in the same way that their IOL pushes against your IDL. Have multiple heavies push your heavies into their heavies. Heavy respect to the Eagles for finding a way to break the game.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I´d hate see it banned. It´s not unfair advantage. Eagles are just better at it than others.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I´d hate see it banned. It´s not unfair advantage. Eagles are just better at it than others.
I think it's unfair from an offense vs. defense standpoint, not necessarily from an Eagles vs. rest of the league standpoint. Kudos to the Eagles for finding success with a truly automatic play for them, but the defensive counterpoint to that play is already banned for defenders.

If defenses cannot push their own guys into the OL, it makes sense to me that the same should be true vice versa, especially with the "player safety" reasoning for the ban on defenders using the same tactic.

My hats off to Philly for figuring this out. Genuinely. It's genius. But it seems a little unfair that the defense is banned from fighting power with equal power in this instance.

TwilightError

Reaction score
When they start winning games playing just the tush push every snap, gaining three yards at a time, then I'd consider banning it.

JPatera76

Reaction score
There's no way to stop it. You can't get lower than them, or you'll just get lain on top of. You can't go significantly higher than them or your entire IDL will have destroyed ACLs. You can't go slightly higher than them or you'll get out-leveraged. You can't go at the same level and win, because the offensive wedge they form will win on that no matter how much meat you have on the IDL, as every team has been shown for like 30 games straight.

They have something special going, and no one has cracked the code. No one runs it as well as they do. I don't think it's possible to stop it without getting outright dirty and basically killing Hurts after he's already gained the first.

I am for it being legislated out of the game because the actual way to combat it is fully illegal for the defense, which would be to push against the Eagles IOL in the same way that their IOL pushes against your IDL. Have multiple heavies push your heavies into their heavies. Heavy respect to the Eagles for finding a way to break the game.
To add the key piece is the center lining up with his shoulders over or on the LOS so that head start so low already helps a ton. And if the officials are gunna call flag for it then keep doing it. That top down view they showed of it shows it clear as day and definitely helps the eagles there with how the center lines up.

James in PA

Reaction score
I hope they get rid of that stupid ass play. I hate it. It might only be an automatic for Philly right now, but that's one automatic too many and I suspect other teams will start perfecting it eventually if it isn't banned.

Scout

Reaction score
The tush push is easy to stop. All it takes is one player to have a clean shot at the QB. That is why teams don't do QB sneaks as much as they used. Which is why when teams kneel down in victory formations they have tighter formations because defenses would go for a strip fumble.

Sooner or later it is a fad that will go away.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
That and he has already moved the ball a half yard. He got called for it once, but did it multiple times.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
instead of taking them head on, what if your d-line just took a half step back, pushed the o-line into the ground, and then drove on top of their backs?

It might not work on a 1 yard to go, but 2 or 2.5, might. Could be a little gruesome.

Or just forget about defending against the yardage, and tee off on Hurts, especially in a X and goal situation. Might cost you half the distance, or 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff, but would make them think twice about running it again.

Last edited:

evergreen

Reaction score
What about the tackles moving early every play practically. Abs Kelce moving the ball forward!