Tush push

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Ban it or not, I just hope we think of a better name than tush push. Tired of hearing that term used over and over and over by announcers, analysts, etc.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't understand why you don't line up your heaviest lineman over the center and as soon as he begins to snap the ball just slam his head into the turf?

The tush push works because of one thing, and one thing only.......it's QB can squat 650 lbs.

You saw it last night, Wagner jumped over the line and Hurts literally carried him into the endzone on his back.

You don't think defenses, especially the NFC East defenses have tried everything to stop it? It's Hurts that makes it work, that's why it's not successful anywhere else to even close to the same degree as Philly.

OP
OP
G

gunnersteedhorn

Reaction score
I think your missing my point. Kelsey lines up so low on that play his head is only a foot of the ground, just stand over him and as soon as he snaps the ball grab the back of his helmet and drive it to the turf. He won't be able to push forward from that position and you have a 300 lb lineman on him making hurts squatting abilities irrelevant.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
The tush push works because of one thing, and one thing only.......it's QB can squat 650 lbs.

You saw it last night, Wagner jumped over the line and Hurts literally carried him into the endzone on his back.

You don't think defenses, especially the NFC East defenses have tried everything to stop it? It's Hurts that makes it work, that's why it's not successful anywhere else to even close to the same degree as Philly.
And why the NFL wants it banned, gotta "make it fair for everyone".

nwHawk

Reaction score
I don't understand why you don't line up your heaviest lineman over the center and as soon as he begins to snap the ball just slam his head into the turf?
Probably lose a knee in the process.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lots of teams have tried, but regardless, you've got Jalen Hurts (a sturdy dude himself) getting pushed by a couple of other dudes and guards wedging right into the middle and disrupting that plan anyway. Whoever you put at the nose is gonna lose that anyway unless they overcome about 1000 pounds leveraging way low WITH a momentum advantage.

Here's an image if the Chiefs trying to do just that type of plan. They convert anyway.12471175610

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
And why the NFL wants it banned, gotta "make it fair for everyone".

I'm not sure that'll happen. It's a legal play, and any team can run it. You don't ban things because one team is good at it, you ban things if it's an unfair advantage and/or players are getting hurt at a high rate.

If coach's don't like it, then stop giving Philly's offense 3rd and 1's.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm not sure that'll happen. It's a legal play, and any team can run it. You don't ban things because one team is good at it, you ban things if it's an unfair advantage and/or players are getting hurt at a high rate.

If coach's don't like it, then stop giving Philly's offense 3rd and 1's.
Of course you do. Kam, jumping over the line on a field goal attempt. Banned, because he was too good at it (obviously nowhere near the 99.9% that the tush push is) and no one else seemed able to pull it off.

I agree with those that are mentioning teeing off on Hurts. That's exactly what will stop it - when he takes a couple of blows to the head in the scrum.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of course you do. Kam, jumping over the line on a field goal attempt. Banned, because he was too good at it (obviously nowhere near the 99.9% that the tush push is) and no one else seemed able to pull it off.

I agree with those that are mentioning teeing off on Hurts. That's exactly what will stop it - when he takes a couple of blows to the head in the scrum.

The league said they passed the no more jumping over line/ auto ejection for touching a lineman, etc rule because of player safety......and the NFLPA agreed to it.

So if Hurts gets hurt? Or another QB doing the tush push? Then yeah they might consider changing the rules.

But again, it's just an aggressive QB sneak. Not sure what the differentiation is between the two other than one team can push the pile forward because they practice it more and have a QB that can squat 650 lbs.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Ban it or not, I just hope we think of a better name than tush push. Tired of hearing that term used over and over and over by announcers, analysts, etc.

I would have preferred if they just called it "The Enema" or the Eagle Enema

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Your Seahawks cant do the Flying Enema...But our Eagles can. LMAO

And yes I am a Seahawk fan. LOL

LastRideOut

Reaction score
The only thing that will stop the tush push is a injury to Hurts. So far, all 31 teams in the NFL haven't figured out how to defend it. It's a good challenge, but not a premise for a ban.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This right here ^

Until there's a major injury from it, they'll probably keep it around. Also, like someone else said.......play better defense and don't let them get 3rd or 4th and 1.

IndyHawk

Reaction score

You can still jump the line as long as you do not make any contact with lineman
in doing so.
BWags has done it here and in L.A.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Tush Push... tonight when they showed the overhead shot of it.. the center was well over the LOS .. like his shoulders where on or over the LOS as well.. so the center already has a "head start"...
Well, that brings back memories.
The "Head Start" program?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Often on a 4th and 1 QB sneak that fails, the QB is less than 6 inches from the line to gain.

So I imagine that their center literally advancing the ball a foot to a half a yard (or even 6 inches!) contributed to that high conversion %. They usually get a good push regardless, but you might see that % go down now.