Trading Penny would be a huge mistake

olyfan63

Reaction score
How about Jacob Martin for Clowney? Oops, already did that one. Diggs for a bag of Doritos? Check. I'm finding it hard to think of what we might get for Penny that would meet or exceed his current value to this team. Yeah, we need a Dissly-type TE back in the fold, but right now it's our D that is scary at times. John Schneider has improved his trading skill a bunch since the Harvin and Graham trades, so I'll extend a little benefit of the doubt here.

chris98251

Reaction score
Penny I think is the type of back that needs a I formation to really accel, a initial block and cut runner or a pitch or quick throw to the edge, I really don't see the leg drive and legs pumping in traffic to break and keep moving the pile like a more physical back does.

Not really a knock just a style difference, he is a big slasher really versus a physically punishing back.

jmahon316

Reaction score
If we don't get our draft pick back or better, I'm not interested.

RiverDog

Reaction score
jmahon316":i4i20dpz said:
If we don't get our draft pick back or better, I'm not interested.

IMO spending a first rounder on a 2 down running back was a bad choice anyway so I'm not going to complain if all we get back is a 3rd rounder. No one's going to give us a 1st rounder for Penny.

What we're looking at is a serviceable tight end, a rotational player on the DL, or someone to challenge for a starting job in the secondary, and now that Britt's gone down, we might be in the market for a center. We're unlikely to get a 3 down, Pro Bowl quality starter like we got with Clowney and Diggs.

But on the other hand, the trade for Diggs was essentially for a sack of peanuts and a bottomless Coke, so who knows.

sutz

Reaction score
At this stage, getting pick for pick draft value is kind of meaningless. Much more important to look at salary cap implications.

Personally, I wouldn't be looking to trade him, but would be open to a definitive offer at a position of need, like TE. But it would have to be a good player without breaking our salary cap, or a middle round pick in 2020.

RiverDog

Reaction score
sutz":2mbribk7 said:
At this stage, getting pick for pick draft value is kind of meaningless. Much more important to look at salary cap implications.

Personally, I wouldn't be looking to trade him, but would be open to a definitive offer at a position of need, like TE. But it would have to be a good player without breaking our salary cap, or a middle round pick in 2020.

Depends on our objective. If our objective is to get that one player that can get us over the hump and into the Lombardi discussion, then I agree.

But if our coaching staff doesn't feel that Penny is what we thought he was going to be when we drafted him and our objective is to reclaim as much value as we can, then this might be the best time to trade him, when the buyer is desperate and willing to pay a higher price than they would in the offseason.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Wasn't he projected as a 3rd round draft pick?.. so what, we can expect like a 5th?
but immediately, draft cap won't really help will it?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Eddie Lacy -Over weight and slow
Thomas Rawls -Injured & in the doghouse
CJ Prosise -Injuries
Chris Carson -Coming off an injury. Never played a full season at OK State. Violent running style. Open to possible injuries.

That’s who we had the year prior to drafting Penny. Lots of questions about the RB situation.

Penny isn’t a bruising, run over player type RB.

But... the Hawks knew that.

All his highlights show a 225lbs RB with breakaway speed. He’s more of a glider with a little suddenness. We saw a small sample size of this against the Rams last year and the Steelers. And, while some may question his vision...I disagree. In those games and against ATL today, he cutback to the backside and ran to daylight.

No, he’s not Chris Carson. He’s not a bruising, violent runner. But, neither was Prosise when he showed promise against the Patriots and Philly. In fact, Prosise would be the bell cow back if he stayed healthy.

You don’t have to be a bruiser to play in this system. You just need a chance.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Trading Penny might be the best play at this point. One thing that is abundantly clear is the fact that Raashad Penny is not a great fit for the Seahawks and their running style. We run a ZBS system similar to what Shanahan ran back in Denver. It calls for decisive running, one cut and go sort of play. Carson is the type of back you want for the system, a decisive back that can make the first man miss and run through contact. Penny on the other hand is a patient runner (sometimes too patient.) that likes to wait and let plays develop before he commits. Think Shaun Alexander vs. Marshawn Lynch.

I think there is a stylistic clash with what Pete wants from his running backs here with Penny, which is a reason that I was shocked when he was our pick. Perhaps it is best for both parties to move on.

chris98251

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1fgh6unj said:
CJ Prosise -Injuries
Chris Carson -Coming off an injury. Never played a full season at OK State. Violent running style. Open to possible injuries.

That’s who we had the year prior to drafting Penny. Lots of questions about the RB situation.

All his highlights show a 225lbs RB with breakaway speed. He’s more of a glider with a little suddenness. We saw a small sample size of this against the Rams last year and the Steelers. And, while some may question his vision...I disagree. In those games and against ATL today, he cutback to the backside and ran to daylight.

No, he’s not Chris Carson. He’s not a bruising, violent runner. But, neither was Prosise when he showed promise against the Patriots and Philly. In fact, Prosise would be the bell cow back if he stayed healthy.

Prosise runs way to upright to be a punishing runner inside every down. He isn't a guy that has the lean and leg drive and keeps his legs pumping when in traffic.

Much like Penny actually but Penny has a forward lean and uses his pads.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
mikeak":1v6zttuw said:
Penny is the guy that gets 15 when you need 6

And the guy that gets -2 when you need 1

He does consistently provide positive yardage especially when hard fought yards are needed

Carson and Prosise have had their share of those too.

quadsas

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1k4mr05s said:
mikeak":1k4mr05s said:

He does consistently provide positive yardage especially when hard fought yards are needed

lmao you cant be for real dude.

if we can get a 5+ take it asap. maybe call up Colts and theyll trade a first rounder away

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":2i48j2h0 said:
truehawksfan":2i48j2h0 said:
CJ Prosise -Injuries

Prosise runs way to upright to be a punishing runner inside every down. He isn't a guy that has the lean and leg drive and keeps his legs pumping when in traffic.

Much like Penny actually but Penny has a forward lean and uses his pads.
Prosise always struck me as a player that we drafted to fulfill a Percy Harvin/USC Bush sort of role. His route running and hands look better than some of our receivers, and in space he is a huge threat. I don’t think they ever thought of him as a bel cow back — he is more of a slasher sort of character.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
If Carson goes down due to his rough style of play, (pretty likely IMO at least for a week or two), Penny is BY FAR the best backup on the team currently.

THE ONLY way a trade happens is if someone offers something CRAZY for him, and maybe a 3 way deal of some sort with different teams getting big holes filled, mainly the Seahawks.

One thing that does concern me about Penny is that for as little playing time he has seen is he gets injured a lot, so that makes me think nobody will offer anything crazy for him.

This is the NFL though, so nothing would really surprise me other than the Hawks giving Penny away for little or nothing.

GO HAWKS!!!

12HF

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's interesting that Carson and Penny are virtually the same height/weight, 5'11" and 220lbs, but Carson 'looks' bigger than Penny.

I agree that I'd rather have Penny as my #2 back than Prosise, but it doesn't make sense to be so rich at running back while we have more pressing needs at several other positions.

At least we won't have much longer to wait. The trading deadline is tomorrow at 4:00pm ET.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, this team DESPERATELY needs another O Lineman right now. If the price is right, they need to consider it. Getting Dickson back will help big time.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
calinator":3nqhv9r1 said:
He's not great but best to keep him around. If Carson goes down you need a backup and Carson is a physical back

He has always averaged more YPC than Carson. Just isn’t getting enough opportunity. Facts are the facts.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Prosise obviously is not good enough to even be on the active roster which makes me think what the hell did they keep him around for?? We need a good back up for Carson as eventually he is going to get worse down or injured to some extent.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
quadsas":ier06wxf said:
hawkfan68":ier06wxf said:
mikeak":ier06wxf said:

lmao you cant be for real dude.

if we can get a 5+ take it asap. maybe call up Colts and theyll trade a first rounder away

Facts don't lie. Please explain these plays from Carson during the second half of yesterday's game...

1st & 15 at SEA 19
(10:28 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.Carson right tackle to SEA 18 for -1 yards (R.Allen).

1st & 10 at SEA 25
(3:21 - 3rd) C.Carson left tackle to SEA 26 for 1 yard (J.Crawford).

3rd & 3 at SEA 32
(2:07 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.Carson left guard to SEA 32 for no gain (A.Clayborn; G.Jarrett).

3rd & 6 at ATL 45
(2:49 - 4th) (Shotgun) G.Fant reported in as eligible. C.Carson left guard to ATL 45 for no gain (G.Jarrett; A.Bailey).

Truth hurts don't it?

Latest posts