Trade Sherman?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1915qrdp said:
Let's just burn the entire organization to the ground and start fresh with a new team, new owner, new stadium, new coach, new players, new uniforms, new mascot, and new hot dog vendors. I've had about enough of this awful, terrible, rotten team. Wow, we won the division this year. Big deal...it's easy to win the division. Most teams win their division every year and make the playoffs. If we aren't getting the #1 seed every year, something is seriously wrong with this organization, and heads need to roll.
Then they will miss the PC era :2thumbs:

cover-2

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":n9zvd9xv said:
pacific101":n9zvd9xv said:
Are you out of your mind, why would we even consider anything that would take Richard Sherman away from the Seattle Seahawks. He is one of our most valuable players, not only on defense but as an overall contributor to the Seahawks team and franchise for that matter.

Who do you think would remotely be able to replace him on the field, he is a major game changer out there, the other players know and trust him and his play, he offers a lot of guidance on the field to our youngsters coming up the ranks.

I can only think you must have it out for Richard, because he is bold enough to speak his mind and heart and not give two hoots in hell what anyone else thinks of it or what penalties and or fines that might come his way as a result of it. He is a very rare breed of cat in this world and certainly in this game, and one that I have an immense amount of respect for on many levels..

Its been refreshing to see and hear Richard call folks on their BS, and most of the time he is dead on. and when he;s not , he's been a man about admitting it. How many times have you heard him in interviews, after being asked if he was worried about the repercussions that could come his way, i.e. fines and punishments by the NFL for doing so? his response has consistently been "not much thought at all, the truth is what it is, I must be good for ratings I guess or they would" was one of his many responses, and it doesn't vary much from his other replies.

I can't help but respect someone like Sherman who has the courage, self confidence, and personal integrity, to tell it like he sees it, right or wrong. I think its also what the Seahawks organization as a whole like about him. Does he have a temper, yup, sure does, is he flippant and to the point? yup, sure is, can he be eloquent, professional and thoughtful in his presentations of this concerns, yup, sure can and usually is.

If you take a moment to study and consider who Richard Sherman is, where he comes from, what he's done with his life, not only athletically but academically, you would at very least have an entirely different perspective on who he is as a person and a player. When I see the defense standing in the circle on the field, chanting " whose got my back" the first player that comes to mind that I'd want to have mine on that field would be Richard Sherman.

I say to just silence anymore of this crazy talk about doing anything with Richard Sherman, except resigning him and paying him whatever he is worth. I sure as hell don't want to see him on some other team covering our receivers, he would do it with a real vengeance I'm sure. I would sincerely like to see him spend whatever productive years he has left right where he is, with the Seattle Seahawks as our premier corner back.
Thread winner right there. Awesome post.

I don't think too many want to trade Sherman because of a few flippant remarks, or blowups on the sideline. For me, its the fact that our offense is soooo inconsistent and we lack the talent to be the smash mouth, ball control team on offense that got us to the "TWO" Super Bowls. It is a cold hearted move to trade Sherman, but he has incredible trade value which would yes weaken the defense, but the defense doesn't live and die with or without Sherman. We trade Sherman and we have a quick fix for the offensive side of the ball. Trade Sherman then use the picks to draft a generational talent at RB in LSU RB Leonard Fournette and still have the draft ammo to draft the best run blocking OT in the draft. Minus Sherman's contract would give us the ability to give a pay raise to Bennett and sign the best stud free agent OG.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
cover-2":sa79h7wl said:
cover-2":sa79h7wl said:
Sports Hernia":sa79h7wl said:
Seymour":sa79h7wl said:
Maybe he's not directly one of the problems on the team, but his salary could be considered one when no money is left for other positions like oline.
Here is just on example. How would you feel if for instance you could have A) Sherman only (a top 3 DB) or B. A top 10 DB say #7 or 8 overall AND a middle of the pack, solid O guard for the exact same cost.
Given that scenario I'd take B personally, and that scenario and many others is more than possible to make happen dollars wise.
No offense but this isn't fantasy football or Madden. Blockbuster trades rarely workout in the NFL. .....and most draft picks are more miss than hit. That's why it's essential to draft well year after year, because the players out of the draft are cheap to pay vs all pro vets.

Hawks are 31 million under the cap for 2017, *allas is 10 million OVER the cap for 2017 according to overthecap.com. I think the NFL swill raise the cap more than expected to keep Jerruh's kids relevant for next year at least.

Yes, trading elite players doesn't happen very often, but it does still happen.
There is a reason it rarely happens.

Okay, you just admitted it still happens!!! Stop being so dismissive of the idea of it, its cool if you want to argue against it...but, you do know that we once traded a 1st round pick for WR Percy Harvin and a 1st round pick for TE Jimmy Grahm....So the idea of trading Richard Sherman is not fantasy football or a Madden move!
Sorry you disagree, but IMHO it's a fantasy football or Madden move....

And or a mindset based on not liking Sherm calling out his severely underperforming OC (I'm glad some player finally did) and calling out a know nothing sportsradio hack (I also applaud him for this) or being outspoken in general, which gets to the point of worrying what the NFL or other fanbases think about our team.

Those 3 things may be important to you, and if they are, more power to ya, as you are entitled to your opinion.

.....But I don't give a squirt about the NFL or what they think, or generally what other fanbases think. I have no problem with the Hawks being "heels" or wearing the black hat.

I am aware not everyone shares my POV on this, no harm, no foul, such is life. 8)

PS. Sorry iRo for the run on sentences. ;)

A

Anonymous

pacific101":1cw9woa5 said:
Are you out of your mind, why would we even consider anything that would take Richard Sherman away from the Seattle Seahawks. He is one of our most valuable players, not only on defense but as an overall contributor to the Seahawks team and franchise for that matter.

Who do you think would remotely be able to replace him on the field, he is a major game changer out there, the other players know and trust him and his play, he offers a lot of guidance on the field to our youngsters coming up the ranks.

I can only think you must have it out for Richard, because he is bold enough to speak his mind and heart and not give two hoots in hell what anyone else thinks of it or what penalties and or fines that might come his way as a result of it. He is a very rare breed of cat in this world and certainly in this game, and one that I have an immense amount of respect for on many levels..

Its been refreshing to see and hear Richard call folks on their BS, and most of the time he is dead on. and when he;s not , he's been a man about admitting it. How many times have you heard him in interviews, after being asked if he was worried about the repercussions that could come his way, i.e. fines and punishments by the NFL for doing so? his response has consistently been "not much thought at all, the truth is what it is, I must be good for ratings I guess or they would" was one of his many responses, and it doesn't vary much from his other replies.

I can't help but respect someone like Sherman who has the courage, self confidence, and personal integrity, to tell it like he sees it, right or wrong. I think its also what the Seahawks organization as a whole like about him. Does he have a temper, yup, sure does, is he flippant and to the point? yup, sure is, can he be eloquent, professional and thoughtful in his presentations of this concerns, yup, sure can and usually is.

If you take a moment to study and consider who Richard Sherman is, where he comes from, what he's done with his life, not only athletically but academically, you would at very least have an entirely different perspective on who he is as a person and a player. When I see the defense standing in the circle on the field, chanting " whose got my back" the first player that comes to mind that I'd want to have mine on that field would be Richard Sherman.

I say to just silence anymore of this crazy talk about doing anything with Richard Sherman, except resigning him and paying him whatever he is worth. I sure as hell don't want to see him on some other team covering our receivers, he would do it with a real vengeance I'm sure. I would sincerely like to see him spend whatever productive years he has left right where he is, with the Seattle Seahawks as our premier corner back.

/thread.

Thanks for this.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawks46":2qeqad7p said:
Yet we managed to go to a quicker passing game and manufactured a run game with it. Ostensibly because Graham was out and wasn't sucking up targets.

So now Graham is back, so we can't replicate what we did the last half of last year. Well, except that he isn't getting targetted all that much, so it's not like he's going full Harvin on us and demanding tons of targets and messing up the offense by us forcing him the ball.

So looking at last year's OL, and this year's OL, what's the excuse ? last year we were better on the edges, this year we're better in the interior. Interior pressure is harder for a QB to avoid, while edge pressure isn't all that horrible for a moble QB especially.

You're smart English, honestly, what is it ?

We had already been using Graham in that very quick passing attack for a game and a half before he got hurt. He benefited as much as anyone from that attack, as he got us out of two big 3rd and 10+ jams against the Steelers and the big juggling catch before his injury. And he didn't prevent Baldwin from getting receptions in it either, as Baldwin racked up eight catches in the Arizona game in which we debuted that attack, despite Graham being on the field.

If you're going to bring up smarts, you should at least have your own facts straight. Graham isn't the problem.

cover-2

Reaction score
cover-2":1qds62a4 said:
cover-2":1qds62a4 said:
Sports Hernia":1qds62a4 said:
Seymour":1qds62a4 said:
Okay, you just admitted it still happens!!! Stop being so dismissive of the idea of it, its cool if you want to argue against it...but, you do know that we once traded a 1st round pick for WR Percy Harvin and a 1st round pick for TE Jimmy Grahm....So the idea of trading Richard Sherman is not fantasy football or a Madden move!

And or a mindset based on not liking Sherm calling out his severely underperforming OC (I'm glad some player finally did) and calling out a know nothing sportsradio hack (I also applaud him for this) or being outspoken in general, which gets to the point of worrying what the NFL or other fanbases think about our team.

Those 3 things may be important to you, and if they are, more power to ya, as you are entitled to your opinion.

.....But I don't give a squirt about the NFL or what they think, or generally what other fanbases think. I have no problem with the Hawks being "heels" or wearing the black hat.

I am aware not everyone shares my POV on this, no harm, no foul, such is life. 8)

I guess you are just trying to be funny with the fantasy football/ madden remarks and not literal...my bad.

I didn't knock Sherman for blasting the OC, I completely agree with Sherman's opinion about the OC. For me Sherman is still the top CB in the league. The argument to keep Sherman could be applied to Cowboys fans, back in the day, clamoring to keep RB Herchel Walker. By trading Walker, the Cowboys were able to infuse talent onto their team. That trade lead them to multiple Super Bowls. The main argument on here, to keep Sherman, seems to rely heavily on the fact that he speaks his mind. For me I don't even consider it....don't care. It's the fact that he is an elite CB, who we can flip and vastly improve the offensive side of the ball by next year.

Anyways, I do get the "don't trade Sherman" camp. But, IMO trading him could be an opportunity to quickly get back to being the big bully on the block.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
When the thread was first posted, i would have said 'hell no,' but with his recent comments about Pete's ''kumbaya'' meeting with him, perhaps they should ship his disrespectful, divisive ass out of town.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
cover-2":3f36p06h said:
Sports Hernia":3f36p06h said:

I guess you are just trying to be funny with the fantasy football/ madden remarks and not literal...my bad.

I didn't knock Sherman for blasting the OC, I completely agree with Sherman's opinion about the OC. For me Sherman is still the top CB in the league. The argument to keep Sherman could be applied to Cowboys fans, back in the day, clamoring to keep RB Herchel Walker. By trading Walker, the Cowboys were able to infuse talent onto their team. That trade lead them to multiple Super Bowls. The main argument on here, to keep Sherman, seems to rely heavily on the fact that he speaks his mind. For me I don't even consider it....don't care. It's the fact that he is an elite CB, who we can flip and vastly improve the offensive side of the ball by next year.

Anyways, I do get the "don't trade Sherman" camp. But, IMO trading him could be an opportunity to quickly get back to being the big bully on the block.
Don't sweat it.

I do disagree with your last sentence though. An all-pro (sometimes) shutdown corner doesn't grow on trees, they are as rare as true #1 ace starting pitchers in baseball, IMHO.

Geologic

Reaction score
Is this topic serious? Why would you trade Sherman?

Y'all acting like dumbass Brock Huard, who never even made it big in the league and failed. Huard had all the means to make it big, father who was a coach, older brother who was a QB, but never succeeded. Then he has the audacity to call out an all pro in Richard Sherman :roll: guy is a fraud. Media is spinning this narrative hard.

Unless Sherman lost the locker room (where it matters) who gives a shit about how he interacts with the medi?

Geologic

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3bmrjhkk said:
What I am getting to is just because you can't pinpoint an exact situation you can tell something isn't right, the feeling, what you see, how the team acts, the energy levels the interactions. It's all a bit different or off from past years. We are heading in the wrong direction right now, age, the money, winning it once, veteran roster versus a young roster, add them all up maybe. It's what we do to correct it now that it's here that will be interesting to watch and maybe painful, like a divorce or a separation. :)

BINGO.

Team ain't right. Right enough to win just enough, but not right enough to win it all...
How close were the Seahawks before 2013? Is this a joke?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Geologic":29cafpxj said:
semiahmoo":29cafpxj said:
What I am getting to is just because you can't pinpoint an exact situation you can tell something isn't right, the feeling, what you see, how the team acts, the energy levels the interactions. It's all a bit different or off from past years. We are heading in the wrong direction right now, age, the money, winning it once, veteran roster versus a young roster, add them all up maybe. It's what we do to correct it now that it's here that will be interesting to watch and maybe painful, like a divorce or a separation. :)

BINGO.

Team ain't right. Right enough to win just enough, but not right enough to win it all...
How close were the Seahawks before 2013? Is this a joke?

A prevented field goal and an NFC Championship game away from it. Against the same team we're all hoping loses on Sunday to give us the #2 spot in the NFC.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
semiahmoo":10ol9f3t said:

BINGO.

Almost like having an offensive line that wouldn't be mid-tier in the Big Sky Conference, no running game to speak of, and losing the teams heartbeat on defense can derail a teams championship aspirations rather quickly.

12thbrah

Reaction score
There is no way this team will be better off in the next two years without Sherman in the secondary.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
12thbrah":wwzmb2g0 said:
There is no way this team will be better off in the next two years without Sherman in the secondary.

I don't think anyone cares about any position on the team except the offensive line, really.

I'm just waiting for someone to propose trading Russell Wilson to improve it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
cover-2":3g51s7jy said:
I don't think too many want to trade Sherman because of a few flippant remarks, or blowups on the sideline. For me, its the fact that our offense is soooo inconsistent and we lack the talent to be the smash mouth, ball control team on offense that got us to the "TWO" Super Bowls. It is a cold hearted move to trade Sherman, but he has incredible trade value which would yes weaken the defense, but the defense doesn't live and die with or without Sherman. We trade Sherman and we have a quick fix for the offensive side of the ball. Trade Sherman then use the picks to draft a generational talent at RB in LSU RB Leonard Fournette and still have the draft ammo to draft the best run blocking OT in the draft. Minus Sherman's contract would give us the ability to give a pay raise to Bennett and sign the best stud free agent OG.

First of all, the notion we would trade Sherman is utterly ridiculous.

Second of all, trading Richard Sherman in the 2017 offseason would cost us $11.6M in dead money. We'd literally sacrifice $11.6M just to ship him off somewhere

Third of all - we just gave a pay raise to Bennett (oh wow imagine that!) and uhhh.. there are no stud FA OL to speak of next offseason. We also had at least 31M in cap room prior to the contract extension today, and that could even be too low as the final cap figure for 2017 hasn't been revealed yet. So even if they lock up Britt and re-do deals for Kam and Avril, they're still sitting on plenty of room to go for a FA or two - thats without giving up the best corner on the team, and arguably in all of football.

Fourth - He doesn't have nearly as much trade value as you envision. Sherman is widely seen as a system corner. Sherman will also be 29 years old next season, so his prime years are behind him. No one is giving a great deal of draft capital for a 29 year old corner making $11M a year and who may or may not be a locker room nuisance (I don't think he is, but if you're trading him out of the blue next year.. it would definitely raise that into question)

Sherman is not going anywhere until at least 2019. Until then, this is absurd.