To get the #2 seed

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":1uy0zhl6 said:
A bunch of stuff needs to happen Sunday, and even next weekend.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/12/16/13 ... ts-cowboys
So let me see if I understand this. The Giants cannot get the #2 seed because if they have a better record than us because *allas (a team in their own divsion) is the #1?

If true that sucks for them. Good for us, but a stupid rule if true. ..and if true and Seattle wins the Super Bowl because of it expect a rule change next year.

Ilinoiseyhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2lxt8wv7 said:
So let me see if I understand this. The Giants cannot get the #2 seed because if they have a better record than us because *allas (a team in their own divsion) is the #1?
1st through 4th seed go to Divisional winners. You play in a tough or weak division, then it sucks/lucks for you.

Sports Hernia":2lxt8wv7 said:
If true that sucks for them. Good for us, but a stupid rule if true. ..and if true and Seattle wins the Super Bowl because of it expect a rule change next year.
The playoff format has been around for a long, long time and makes sense. If you conquer your kingdom (division), you are the king of your little world. Then the 4 Kings fight for first-week bye/home-field advantage. After that, the 2 lesser Kings have to fend off the 2 rising challengers (wild cards). Makes for exciting Football.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ilinoiseyhawk":32jpyznn said:
Sports Hernia":32jpyznn said:
1st through 4th seed go to Divisional winners. You play in a tough or weak division, then it sucks/lucks for you.

Sports Hernia":32jpyznn said:
The playoff format has been around for a long, long time and makes sense. If you conquer your kingdom (division), you are the king of your little world. Then the 4 Kings fight for first-week bye/home-field advantage. After that, the 2 lesser Kings have to fend off the 2 rising challengers (wild cards). Makes for exciting Football.
Cool.
Thanks for the info. :2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":b4aonoho said:
McGruff":b4aonoho said:
The Cowboys haven't played well for 3 weeks. Their rookies are hitting a wall.

The Lions have won 5 straight. The Bucs have won 5 straight.

They will end the season with 4 straight losses. They are not a good team. They are an average that has played an cupcake schedule and eked out some close wins.
This guy gets it ^.
:2thumbs:

Guess not.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2p6bykmk said:
People who dismiss Dallas as wonky and overachieving seem to forget that we won our Super Bowl in very similar fashion. Consistent juggernauts like the Patriots don't always win; it comes down to finding ways to win close games. That's what Carroll has been doing, and that's what Dallas is now doing.

I don't see Dallas losing to Philly in Week 17, even on the road. I could more easily see them getting the #1 seed and then losing to the Giants in the divisional round of the playoffs, which would leave us hosting the big game.

And a bunch of this happened yesterday. Dallas isn't going away, they didn't "hit a wall". Every team has ups and downs in a year. Hawks are a prime example. We had our chances and let them slip away. Arizona put up a ton of points yesterday, but fortunately have zero defense, however they usually play us tough.

Just because teams have stunk at one point I would argue that it is when you play them. The TB and GB games are prime examples.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ritctub said:
Ilinoiseyhawk":1ritctub said:

Cool.
Thanks for the info. :2thumbs:
Yep, that's how we got in as a 7-9 Div winner. With the small divisions and number of teams, it would seem that that is inevitable to happen once in a while.

I'm fine with the system, including where the WC has to travel to the Div winner, regardless of record. There should be rewards for winning your division, no matter how easy it is.

byau

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1m9gynb3 said:
KitsapGuy":1m9gynb3 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/810702423568224256[/tweet]

We clinch next week.

Slight correction according to CBS Sports

Seahawks win
Detroit loses
Atlanta loses or ties

Quite possible.

HOPING HOPING HOPING HOPING

HuskyHawk

Reaction score
Another nice thing is that if we don't clinch the #2 seed in Week 16, both Atlanta and Detroit play before us in Week 17. So we should know what we have to play for before our kickoff next Sunday.

Polaris

Reaction score
The very best news to be brutally frank is that we completely control our own destiny for the #2 seed. If (when) we win both games, we've got it no matter anyone else down.

sutz

Reaction score
Polaris":mny53ff3 said:
The very best news to be brutally frank is that we completely control our own destiny for the #2 seed. If (when) we win both games, we've got it no matter anyone else down.
There it is. Take care of business against two fairly weak teams and we'll be fine.

mikeak

Reaction score
HuskyHawk":vntxk7pt said:
Another nice thing is that if we don't clinch the #2 seed in Week 16, both Atlanta and Detroit play before us in Week 17. So we should know what we have to play for before our kickoff next Sunday.

I agree -- we will know exactly what matters and doesn't matter. It will allow us to only play everyone if the game actually matters. Now if we have the No 2 seed it matters less since we get a bye but if not then a few guys at least can get a bye week

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think the Cards are a better team than their record, they've lost some close ones. Should be a tough game overall. I like the fact that the Hawks have control of their own fate, no having to worry about other teams.
A 2 seed and a week off for this team would be HUGE imo. Especially getting some guys healthy and maybe even have Procise for the Divisional Round.

mikeak

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2lyug1qq said:
I think the Cards are a better team than their record, they've lost some close ones. Should be a tough game overall. I like the fact that the Hawks have control of their own fate, no having to worry about other teams.
A 2 seed and a week off for this team would be HUGE imo. Especially getting some guys healthy and maybe even have Procise for the Divisional Round.

Procisely!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The second seed just slipped through the Seahawks hands. It now goes through Atlanta. If Detroit wins out, then the Seahawks could very well be the 4th seed.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
So where does it stand now? We need Atlanta to lose next week, we need the Lions to lose on Monday, and then we get the 2 seed back?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1tzh2n4s said:
The second seed just slipped through the Seahawks hands. It now goes through Atlanta. If Detroit wins on Monday, then the Seahawks could very well be the 4th seed.

Detroit would need to beat Green Bay for that to happen.

Quinn MAY be sending this Seahawks team home this year.

Latest posts