Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

SeaTown81

Reaction score
From a football standpoint, I'd want TJack. As Pinksheets pointed out, what he was able to do for us with a far inferior offense is exactly what you want from your backup. Add to that, the guy is highly respected in the locker room. Minutes after his release, Doug Baldwin tweeted he'd be a good addition to the club. Would be a great backup to Wilson.

But from a Seahawks.net/sports radio standpoint, I would say Quinn. Because there are far too many ignorant fans out there who hated on TJack for all the wrong reasons back when he was here. I couldn't stand it then, and rather not have to go through that again. For whatever reason, TJack is a conduit and magnet for hate and ignorance. Too bad really.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
SeaTown81":3nh9ppvf said:
From a football standpoint, I'd want TJack. As Pinksheets pointed out, what he was able to do for us with a far inferior offense is exactly what you want from your backup. Add to that, the guy is highly respected in the locker room. Minutes after his release, Doug Baldwin tweeted he'd be a good addition to the club. Would be a great backup to Wilson.

That far inferior had some to do with the QB position not being able to utilize his tools also. Wilson proved that. In 2011 he faced multiple back up QB's and our defense and running game padded his stats pretty heavily IMO. If not for the surrounding talent and schedule that year we would have been lucky to win 3 games. A great back up IMO would be one who is willing to work as hard as the starter and alongside the starter who knows his place in the offense and on the team. Quinn reportedly has that work ethic. Of course Baldwin supports Jackson, he was the only receiver Jackson could get the ball to.

But from a Seahawks.net/sports radio standpoint, I would say Quinn. Because there are far too many ignorant fans out there who hated on TJack for all the wrong reasons back when he was here. I couldn't stand it then, and rather not have to go through that again. For whatever reason, TJack is a conduit and magnet for hate and ignorance. Too bad really.

That door swings both ways or maybe you don't remember the Zanary's and crew. They drove the love train so wildly it provoked the non believers as much as Jackson's performance.

I wouldn't have a problem bringing him in but I highly doubt he would supplant anyone on our roster. I predicted in Dec 2011 that if we brought in a FA QB and drafted a QB that Jackson wouldn't be on our 53 and when Buffalo drafted a QB and brought in Kolb I predicted the same.

He's a nice guy with good work ethic that has hit his ceiling and anything other than a dominant team playing against a lessor opponent will result in nothing but losses. Go back in his career and find one game he carried his team to victory when the running game and defense broke down. It's not there because it has never happened. Our system is strong enough to bring the best out of a QB. If Quinn has any chance of finding his groove this is the perfect place for him to do it.

Personally I don't think we will bring him in even though it could be seen as the team really did believe he was worth the 7th rounder we scalped Buffalo for but the flip side of that is he has about zero chance of making our 53 so in the end releasing him again would look pretty bad. Better off to wish him well and hope he catches on somewhere else but don't kid yourself, there is a reason no team has snatched him up.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I admire his bravery and guts. That said, he stepped into a situation that was cookie-cutter perfect and couldn't take advantage of it. Conditions were laid out for him to succeed; his former offensive coordinator, known system, solid running game and solid defense. Hass made more of an impact in an unfamiliar system, when the team was in a worse state (same W/L record with a worse team around him). He made much quicker decisions with the ball despite Jackson supposedly knowing the system better.

Regarding Doug Baldwin's opinions, I respect the hell out of him as a player, but think some of his evaluations might be just a bit biased. I have the inside line on another of his takes of one of our new players, and am anxious to see him proven wrong this season. I won't make his evaluation public, unless he does so first, but I doubt he'd do that to a team mate. Suffice to say I disagree, but will have to wait out the season to see how it shakes out.

Throwdown

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2ayl7zer said:
Hass made more of an impact in an unfamiliar system, when the team was in a worse state (same W/L record with a worse team around him).

Stop it, no he didn't he was at times worse than TJack could of ever thought of being

TJack never got blown out in Seattle, Hass got his ass handed him every other week it seemed.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":65fc4cns said:
TJ no question. Dude is legit as a backup, tough as nails, earns respect, and has proven he can lead us to somewhere near a .500 record, which is as much as you can ask of a backup.

I think TJack would be an excellent backup for us. He knows the offense, is familiar with most of the guys, is tough as nails, and is reportedly an outstanding guy in the locker room.

With that said, however, Quinn also gets glowing reviews for his work ethic and his team-first approach. And there's a part of me that wonders how Quinn would perform in a backup role on a team like ours. Yeah, people can point to his awful record in Cleveland and KC, but those places have been QB graveyards for the better part of a decade now. Who's to say that Quinn wouldn't be able to give us that .500 record as a backup considering the tools he'd have around him here? And if the record on the field is similar, then you ask about the other areas where the backup QB contributes. From what we're hearing, Quinn's a film junkie like Wilson is, and maybe that's an area where he could augment Wilson in a way that TJack just couldn't.

It's a tough call, imo. I don't think it's as clearly one way or the other as some folks are wanting to make it.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Throwdown":44otensk said:
HawKnPeppa":44otensk said:
Hass made more of an impact in an unfamiliar system, when the team was in a worse state (same W/L record with a worse team around him).

Stop it, no he didn't he was at times worse than TJack could of ever thought of being

TJack never got blown out in Seattle, Hass got his ass handed him every other week it seemed.
Ridiculous statement. Never noticed how filthy tj was on D.

themunn

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":uo0dwzcw said:
I admire his bravery and guts. That said, he stepped into a situation that was cookie-cutter perfect and couldn't take advantage of it. Conditions were laid out for him to succeed; his former offensive coordinator, known system, solid running game and solid defense. Hass made more of an impact in an unfamiliar system, when the team was in a worse state (same W/L record with a worse team around him). He made much quicker decisions with the ball despite Jackson supposedly knowing the system better.

Yeah, then he tore a pectoral which basically stopped him from being an effective player for about 6 games.
We all spoke about how the team turned a corner in the second half of the season and went on a pretty decent streak.

That coincided with 2 things -

The schedule was a lot easier
Jackson's pec started to heal and he could make the throws he was struggling with again.

Also, I'm curious as to why you consider throwing less TDs, more interceptions, more fumbles, less yards and completing a lower percentage of passes is better.
By every single measure of a QB, Jackson did better in 2011 than Hass in 2010

Hawkfish

Reaction score
TJ ship has passed. I have a problem with a QB that can't beat out a rook and QB-starved Arizona got rid of.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It's not going to happen but I woudl take TJack over Quinn.

But I'll have to see how Quinn does in pre-season. I'd be lying if I said I'd watched him play very many snaps. I just know he's been hovering somewhere between being a 2nd stringer and a 3rd stringer for a few seasons now and at least Tjack has been a starter.

Tjack isn't a great QB but with all the other components of our offense gelling in a way that you can't possibly say was remotely close at all when Tjack was here, I think he could do what you want a backup QB to do here. I can't say I know that about Quinn.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I keep thinking he'd be playing. He would be a good backup, shoot.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
With backup quarterback Brady Quinn still learning Seattle’s offense, Jackson would be a good fit for the Seahawks. However, Jackson did not leave the Seahawks on good terms last year, after the team traded him to Buffalo for a seventh round pick.

Jackson believes he did not get a fair shot to keep his starting job in the three-man competition with Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson. And it’s hard to argue that point, with Jackson not getting any snaps during exhibition play because Pete Carroll believed he already had seen enough from Jackson during training camp and the 2011 season to make his evaluation.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Quinn as a study buddy until Sept. 1st. Then pick up T-Jack as the backup for the real season after final cuts (unless Quinn shows a lot in the preseason games, which I doubt).

samwize77

Reaction score
Tjack ....no question in my mind. BQ hasn't proved anything in his career. At least TJ has proved he's tough, knows the offense...and will occasionally throw to his left ;)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawkfish":1uaygbo0 said:
However, Jackson did not leave the Seahawks on good terms last year, after the team traded him to Buffalo for a seventh round pick.

He retweeted a fan who said he should reunite with the Seahawks almost immediately after his release was announced.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You guys really want to see Miller disappear, sign TJack.

That guy doesn't even know what a TE does, much less where he's at on the field. Rice would get all the passes since TJack really only has decent vision to the right side of the field. It's also why he's a 1 read and done QB.

hawker84

Reaction score
I'll take TJack over Quinn as well, but I don't want to see either one of them on the field ever, unless favorable circumstances dictate it..

So in that case, get rid of them except TJack , put him on the practice squad, and have MRob as our back up to Wilson.

Solved.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Not a fan of either of them. But if I am wearing my Pete Carroll wannabe hat, I would go for youth. Tjack is 30 and Quinn is 28 now. Tjack got passed over by the Seahawks, and Buffalo, and Buffalo needs all the help they can get at the position. Brady Quinn got passed over for Tim Tebow(!!!) in Denver, not much you can add to that! At this point I hope Johnson shines in Mini camp!