Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

xCalibur

Reaction score
OMG, not this nonsense again....i thought we where finally over this Tjack craziness. The guy stinks, can't read defenses and cannot lead his wr's. He is no winner and apparently isn't even a quality backup. Johnson is twice the qb Tjack ever was, lets let this Tjack love go...it is over and i am glad he is gone.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The TJack lovers on this Board just won't "go away"!! My feelings would not be hurt in the least if his name never shows up here again. Let "bygones be bygones"...the fellow does not improve with age!

pinksheets

Reaction score
TJ no question. Dude is legit as a backup, tough as nails, earns respect, and has proven he can lead us to somewhere near a .500 record, which is as much as you can ask of a backup.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
One of the reasons we love RW is because he can drive the ball, he keeps drives alive. Jackson's greatest downfall, among many, is his inability to keep the offense on the field. OK great, you don't like Quinn, me either but don't saddle us with making a choice between two losers. Why Jackson? Why not at least give us somebody that actually has an up side? Let Jackson's legacy here be dead and buried rather than making him something he is not.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Here is my scenario & my "proof". First: consider we were supposedly looking at Matt Scott from Arizona in the 3rd or 4th &/or BJ Daniels from South Florida in the 7th etc. Second: I consider Brady Quinn to be our 7th round backup quarterback "draftpick". Third: He's got a lot more experience than any 7th round rookie, at roughly the same price.

So watch the tape, go all the way back and look at the predraft numbers (before Cleveland & KC), and simply be glad we got him the "7th" round mix this year.

Here's what I see...

A) He's a young guy, who is a football gymrat, who comes in with Russell first thing in the morning and studies film/breaks down defenses all day everyday. Which is what Russell needs. (Not a "veteran presence" i.e. former starter, hanging around in the locker room.)

B) He's already signed by JS/PC to do exactly that. Which is what we need. (Not a bunch of backup QB BS; which is what y'all are starting.)

C) He's already trained in the West Coast Offense at a bigtime college program under an innovative NFL offensive coordinator(Weis).

D) He's accurate and can hit the passes we need from him: in the flat/slot to Harvin, over the top/seam to Miller & Willson, deep out to Sidney, bombs and slants to Golden and Baldwin.

E) He has never been on a good team, that plays WCO, with weapons this various/deadly, or a defense to back him up, to reflect accurately what he actually can do in the NFL. Instead, he was subjected to the misfortune of being drafted by Cleveland. And then thrown to the dogs behind a truly 'offensive' line in KC. On a team fit to get the #1 pick.

Let's face it, everybody sucks in Cleveland, and KC's great plan is Alex Smith, so I'll just show some of Brady Quinn's highlights from college at Notre Dame to show his potential (as a "7th round pick, already signed for the veteran minimum"), and leave it at that.

Also, I fully realize that this is not the popular opinion at this particular moment in time, but to all you living in the "Tjack was tuff and looked really cool" past. Get real. Remember Tjack holding the ball and getting 'coverage' sacked from being confused on the presnap read. Remember the Tjack interceptions. Remember Tjack losin to the Niners... :49ersmall:

So stop hatin' on Quinn. Instead, believe in the front office and embrace him. He's our new backup quarterback AND he will win us games if Russell goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgmeEH1lrE

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
No, with a team this good you should expect more along the lines of Matt Cassell circa 2009. Which is why I pick neither and would rather go with Jerod Johnson. TJack had most of same team not all but quite alot ourand sucked hardcore and Brady Quinn? I would argue he isn't even NFL level but with Wilson to pattern himself after he might improve significantly, maybe.

pinksheets

Reaction score
How many wins do we get in 2011 with Brady Quinn as our starter? Do we go 7-9? I tend to doubt it. While it's nice to think of high upside back-ups, you don't get those without the additional equal if not greater risk of a far lower floor.

TJack has proven, with a Seahawks team not as good as last year's, that he can go 7-9, I'd say with the team as it stand, if Russell gets hurt, we can feel confident that we could go 50-50 on those games. That's as much as you can expect from a back-up, unless you think we can get some sort of Tom Brady franchise QB hiding in the dusk sort, I don't.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I don't like Quinn but we do have alot more offensive weapons than KC even though we're close in pass pro so I am not sure. Face it last our OL was bad at pass protection but I expect serious improvement based on continuity and experience both from the OL and Wilson and with Wilson tutoring Quinn he has his first chance in his career to improve
and be an NFL quarterback so I am willing to trust the FO here.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This doesn't have to be an either/or proposition until late August. Bring him in, and let him compete. Seattle only has 3 viable QBs on the roster, and word is that Johnson has fallen behind Quinn to a notable degree. What's wrong with adding competition? Four QBs in camp is always a good idea, and Tarvaris is certainly among the best available options. If Quinn beats him out in camp/pre-season, then great. If not, we know what we're getting from Tarvaris, and it's really not that bad. He was a .500 QB in this system, and the roster is better now than it was in 2011. Look at his 2011 numbers. Not that pretty, but they were better than some guys that folks here would LOVE as back-ups to RW.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":2xedx3du said:
I couldn't stand Tjack or the folks who swore he'd be a starting caliber QB if he only got a million more chances. That he'll never be. But I can see Tjack going .500 in a backup role with our D, beast mode, and our weapons at WR. I don't know if I can see that out of Quinn.

I'll trust JS on this one but if we did bring in Tjack I wouldn't hate it.

Quarterbacking is all about handing off, making connections with the Receivers, or keeping the ball and running it yourself.
TJ is an uncut diamond, with ONE facet, a statue, who doesn't understand what going through the progressions means, so if he didn't see his Receiver open with his 'One Read' to his right, he was burnt toast, as he does NOT know how to read Defenses.
Put me in the stay with Quinn, or Johnson group.

kearly

Reaction score
I wrote a post on SDB a couple months back saying I'd trade a 7th to get T-Jack back in a heartbeat. He was a much better QB than anyone that was realistic in the 7th round of the 2013 draft, he's much better than Quinn and perhaps Johnson, and he has plenty of starting experience- pretty much all of it in Bevell's offense. He had a 93 passer rating over his last 5 starts here (which was about when he started approaching full health).

Sure, T-Jack might be a poster child for why passer rating has flaws, as he's a stiff and inconsistent. But he was decent or better in most of his games here, and every now and then he'd even flash a dominant performance (Falcons, Giants, Eagles, Rams, Chicago). He had miserable starts too, especially at the start of the 2011 season when the entire team was unspeakably terrible, but on the whole you won't find many backups who are better. And he'd be dirt cheap, too.

Also, I don't think Seattle's roster was yet ready to facilitate a mechanical QB such as Alex Smith / Colin Kaepernick / T-Jack back in 2011. But now? Definitely. T-Jack could be same ol' T-Jack in 2013 and still put up good numbers because his supporting cast will be so strong that we won't need him to do much.

Something tells me that the Seahawks won't go after him. I have a bad feeling that they are impressed with Quinn and feel somewhat committed to him. I hope I am wrong.

Oh yeah. The Bills did T-Jack dirty. Signing him to a contract extension this winter with a verbal commitment saying he was the front runner to start in 2013, only to cut him in June. Had he hit open FA, he probably would still be on a roster right now, probably our roster.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I'm starting to hope Johnson wins the back up spot. Atleast I dont know anything about him, which feels good compared to these two options.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm rooting for JJ as well. Though he only threw 21 preseason passes last year, he was outstanding in all 3 of his appearances and finished the preseason with around the same passer rating the Russell Wilson did. I actually like his throwing motion - his passes arrive with touch and precision. Maybe he's ultra erratic in a larger sample, I don't know. But what little I've seen of him I think he could end up being a find. He's only a few months older than Wilson, too.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
kigenzun":1s0h6eb1 said:
Here is my scenario & my "proof". First: consider we were supposedly looking at Matt Scott from Arizona in the 3rd or 4th &/or BJ Daniels from South Florida in the 7th etc. Second: I consider Brady Quinn to be our 7th round backup quarterback "draftpick". Third: He's got a lot more experience than any 7th round rookie, at roughly the same price.

So watch the tape, go all the way back and look at the predraft numbers (before Cleveland & KC), and simply be glad we got him the "7th" round mix this year.

Here's what I see...

A) He's a young guy, who is a football gymrat, who comes in with Russell first thing in the morning and studies film/breaks down defenses all day everyday. Which is what Russell needs. (Not a "veteran presence" i.e. former starter, hanging around in the locker room.)

B) He's already signed by JS/PC to do exactly that. Which is what we need. (Not a bunch of backup QB BS; which is what y'all are starting.)

C) He's already trained in the West Coast Offense at a bigtime college program under an innovative NFL offensive coordinator(Weis).

D) He's accurate and can hit the passes we need from him: in the flat/slot to Harvin, over the top/seam to Miller & Willson, deep out to Sidney, bombs and slants to Golden and Baldwin.

E) He has never been on a good team, that plays WCO, with weapons this various/deadly, or a defense to back him up, to reflect accurately what he actually can do in the NFL. Instead, he was subjected to the misfortune of being drafted by Cleveland. And then thrown to the dogs behind a truly 'offensive' line in KC. On a team fit to get the #1 pick.

Let's face it, everybody sucks in Cleveland, and KC's great plan is Alex Smith, so I'll just show some of Brady Quinn's highlights from college at Notre Dame to show his potential (as a "7th round pick, already signed for the veteran minimum"), and leave it at that.

Also, I fully realize that this is not the popular opinion at this particular moment in time, but to all you living in the "Tjack was tuff and looked really cool" past. Get real. Remember Tjack holding the ball and getting 'coverage' sacked from being confused on the presnap read. Remember the Tjack interceptions. Remember Tjack losin to the Niners... :49ersmall:

So stop hatin' on Quinn. Instead, believe in the front office and embrace him. He's our new backup quarterback AND he will win us games if Russell goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgmeEH1lrE
+1
:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:

Points A & B tip this one to BQ. Although there are bonds with TJ in the locker room (Baldwin already tweeted that it would be a good move to bring Jackson back), and many of us respect his toughness, he would be dead weight in relation to RW. BQ should be a good study buddy & sounding board for Russ.

Also, his initials are a cross between Burger King and Dairy Queen. And I will try really hard not to call him Burger Queen. Maybe.

Atradees

Reaction score
TwilightError":2u4030li said:
I'm starting to hope Johnson wins the back up spot. Atleast I dont know anything about him, which feels good compared to these two options.

This one feels better. The devil I dont know versus the two I do.

Stacks

Reaction score
Let TJax test the market.

we know what he can do, if Quinn fails to show us anything in camp, bring in TJax.