Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3pmdyvdc said:
Of course, TJack couldn't even make the Buffalo flippen Bills, and was average at best while here.

"Average at best" basically means you're one of the very best back-up QBs in the league. T-Jack was brought in and re-signed by Buffalo's old regime. That regime let go of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler Thigpen and retained Tarvaris Jackson to compete for starter. The new regime let him go. Not a huge surprise after taking the first QB in the draft and giving Kolb a contract with borderline starter value.

Clayton says Tarvaris would be a top-5ish back-up in this league. If he's the same player he was in 2011, I agree.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think too many people are concerned with Jackson's abilities as a starter in this league and worry that he won't be able to carry this team to double digit victories and division titles, and that's just not how you evaluate your backup unless you are considering your backup as a potential starter. I don't see us replacing Wilson as our starting quarterback for a decade at least, so we don't need to develop qb's behind him. What we need in that position is a stop gap guy who can "suffice" in case of emergent need. Starters don't sign to back up franchise qb's, so unless you believe that Russell Wilson is NOT our franchise qb, then you are going to have to temper the expectations for the backup.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
TJack is an adequate backup QB.

Can you say that about Quinn?

No becuase he stinks 100% of the time.

And if anyone thought all the talk about how 'hard a worker and learner' he is matters much, just look at how fast the hawks were to go back after Tjack the second he was available.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3g0bgc0b said:
TJack is an adequate backup QB.

Can you say that about Quinn?

No becuase he stinks 100% of the time.

And if anyone thought all the talk about how 'hard a worker and learner' he is matters much, just look at how fast the hawks were to go back after Tjack the second he was available.

According to Eric Williams at the NewsTribune, Quinn hasn't been exactly lighting it up in the practices open to reporters.

I look at it like this, we bring in Jackson, and whether he sticks or not, there will be a real competition at the position and that is going to be better for all those around them. If Quinn hasn't been looking that great, it has to affect the other players on offense around him trying to get better and make the team as well. Bringing in Jackson and letting them battle it out will give Quinn some incentive to prove he's worth keeping around. That in itself is a good reason to bring in Jackson whether we end up keeping him for the season or not.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
You don't know with Quinn. If the FO felt that way they wouldn't have brought him in and he certainly wouldn't have beaten out Seneca Wallace.

What we also don't know is how bad Jackson might have looked had he gone the same route Quinn did. I would be willing to bet no one hear would be excited about him if he had to carry the Browns and Chiefs. He was barely srrvicable in systems that carried him.

I trust the FO in deciding who will give us the best chance to win and I won't be surprised in the least if they think that guy is Quinn.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Tjack still completed 60% of his passes and threw for for over 3000 yards. His QBR was a bit over 79. He was also sacked a lot also. I don't think these numbers a too bad for a backup QB that has the familiarity and respect of many of the Seahawks

gmor

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3t869an5 said:
Tjack still completed 60% of his passes and threw for for over 3000 yards. His QBR was a bit over 79. He was also sacked a lot also. I don't think these numbers a too bad for a backup QB that has the familiarity and respect of many of the Seahawks

Maybe so. Tjack is a statue. The only hope is that RW doesn't have to leave the field.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":390uoopj said:
Hawkscanner":390uoopj said:
SoulfishHawk":390uoopj said:
Of course, TJack couldn't even make the Buffalo flippen Bills, and was average at best while here.

Mmmmm ... The Bills thought that Marshawn Lynch couldn't play either.

Com'on man. Everyone in the league knew Lynch could play. It was the off field issues that were the concern.

Jackson? It's the on field issues that are the concern.

Re: Lynch ... I know the off field stuff was the issue in Buffalo. Point being, the Bills haven't made the greatest player evaluations over the past few years nor made the wisest moves when it comes to their roster.

Re: TJack, I would say far too many are getting hung up on his history as a STARTER and are seeing him through those lenses as opposed to seeing him as a back-up who might (might mind you) only see the field 1-3 games in a season -- not all 16. As a back-up, I'd say he's easily among the top 7 or 8 back-up QB's in the league.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3lmq3qzq said:
When I heard word of this yesterday, I breathed a sigh of relief ... and I'll bet meteorologists recorded a a significant rise in barometric pressure related to the collective exhalations of Seahawk players over at the VMAC as well. Seriously, as a back-up who else is a better option out there for this team? In Jackson, you have a guy now who:

1) Knows Darrell Bevell's Offense extremely well and has been a starter.

2) Has a strong arm and is a very mobile runner (he can run the read option and everything else in the playbook, so unlike with Quinn they don't have to go in to handoff to Lynch mode solely if he's called to action).

3) The Seahawk players all collectively respect and acknowledge as a leader. Seriously, how many pro Brady Quinn comments have you heard coming from the players since he's come in?

4) Isn't going to cost this team draft picks or command a huge salary to bring in. At this stage in the game, I'm going to surmise that he ends up coming in somewhere around the league minimum (though I'm sure Schneider has built in some performance bonuses in to the contract.)

No T-Jack isn't the second coming of Joe Montana, another Brett Favre, etc. He isn't going to be Russell Wilson out there on the field and engineer game winning drives on a consistent basis. BUT, he also isn't a single read QB like Quinn who has a career 64.4 Passer Rating. This move is being made for a reason people. They have had Quinn front and center throughout all of these OTA's and clearly, from the front office ... to the coaching staff ... to the players, no one is impressed. Tavaris Jackson put up fairly respectable numbers behind this offense in 2011 (with a torn pectoral muscle in his throwing arm mind you). Personally, I honestly can't think of anyone better to bring in as a back-up to Russell Wilson at this point in the season. Just looking at back-up QB's around the league, I'd have to place Jackson among the top 1/3 among back-ups. I know I certainly feel a lot better about the QB situation as a whole ... and I would say everyone else associated with the Seahawks organization does as well. Good move by Schneider and company bringing this guy back.

1. he may know the offense but he cant execute it
2. He is anything but mobile, he is SLOOOOOW and his reaction time is pathetic
3. leaders can engineer a comeback win at least every once in a while
4. I will conceed that he is better than Quinn, bring him in and let him compete but dont be surprised when either quinn or Johnson beat him out.
5. 2013 TJACK = camp arm

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
TJ completed 60.2% of his passes here as a starter with a 14/13 TD/INT ratio. Sounds about average to me. Again, GREAT for a QB2 that hopefully will never see the field, but if he does, will at least give you a 50/50 shot to win the game.

With all the RBs we have and the fact that we can probably run the ball far more effectively now than we did when it was mostly just the Marshawn Lynch show two years ago, I could live if for some reason TJ had to start even two or three games.

Past that, heck no, I don't want him starting that much, but then again, what fans would want their backup playing over their starter except for the fans of teams with bad QB play?

I have to be honest, I feel comfortable with TJ as our backup. I would obviously be very upset if Wilson got hurt, but it would not be the total end of the world, especially if Wilson could make it back later in the season. Unless Wilson is gone for the year, TJ is capable of keeping the ship afloat until he comes back.

Also, thanks to Mr. Deschain for the correction on how many wins Cassel scored in NE as a starter.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
top 5 back up, not even top 10.

He's not better than:

1. Kirk Cousins
2.Matt hassleback
3. Kyle Orton
4.Ryan Fitzpatrick
5.matt Moore
6.Chad Henne
7. matt Cassel
8.Shaun Hill
9. Colt Mcoy
10. Charlie Batch

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2wepnbvb said:
top 5 back up, not even top 10.

He's not better than:

1. Kirk Cousins
2.Matt hassleback
3. Kyle Orton
4.Ryan Fitzpatrick
5.matt Moore
6.Chad Henne
7. matt Cassel
8.Shaun Hill
9. Colt Mcoy
10. Charlie Batch

How is Cousins #1? He didn't do squat against us when RGKnee went down.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I would rather have TJ than Henne, Hass, Cassel, and Batch outright.

I think, between him and Fitzpatrick, Hill, Orton, and Moore, it's all a tossup.

I might rather have McCoy and Cousins, but only because of the potential still there in those two, and honestly, as McCoy would be a good fit for our offense, he is the only one that I would trade TJ for without a second thought on that whole list.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Where are these magic QB's that fans want us to sign to back-up wilson that can go 9-7?

Oh i remember now. They're starting for other teams.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
the list is not in any particualr order, just back ups I could think of

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":31ukhzxx said:
the list is not in any particualr order, just back ups I could think of

And not a one of them is on our team, so that means you think Jackson is the best back up we have right? (well have after the official signing)

sc85sis

Reaction score
Why is everyone getting up in arms over this. Always compete. We're bringing in a guy who knows the system and getting him--likely on the cheap, since he was just cut--and letting him compete for the backup job. There's no coronation here. He either wins it or he doesn't. If he does, it means he's a better option than Quinn. If not, he isn't.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":3ux6q9rt said:
Why is everyone getting up in arms over this. Always compete. We're bringing in a guy who knows the system and getting him--likely on the cheap, since he was just cut--and letting him compete for the backup job. There's no coronation here. He either wins it or he doesn't. If he does, it means he's a better option than Quinn. If not, he isn't.

/truth

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm looking at that list, and the only guys I would really consider better than Tarvaris by any significant margin are probably Fitzpatrick and maybe Cousins (based on an extremely small sample size). Maybe Hass, but he put up worse numbers than Tarvaris across the board in his final season here. I would take Tjack outright over about half that list. So yeah, top 5-8 sounds about right to me.