Time for a change

olyfan63

Reaction score
Now this I agree with.

Collier's definitely gone, but I imagine Barton being offered a cheap one year contract will be entirely predicated on what we do in the draft.

Even then, there's over a dozen free agent LB's that are better than Barton. Go get one.

As much as Barton sucks and gets trucked in the run game, he sneakily gets his hands on more than his share of passes in zone coverage schemes. Recall that Barton picked off Tom Brady in the Bucs game, and in the playoff game vs. the 49ers, he got a finger on the Brock Purdy not-TD pass that Aiyuk "inexplicably" dropped due to that last-moment tip. I've seen a few other examples of Barton putting himself in the right spot and getting hands on passes. He had 6 "passes defensed" this year. (Bobby Wagner also had 2 picks but "only" 5 passes defensed this year)

Yes, Barton sucks overall, but if he's cheap, he's adequate in pass defense situations, and could be worth keeping as a role-player, IF he's really good on Special Teams. Meantime, definitely draft or sign Barton's replacement. (and Collier's, and let Collier walk)

BASF

Reaction score
Do we need to get aggressive with the defensive play calling ie send more blitz's or draft heavy defense LBers and DL ?
There really aren't many heavy defense LBers in the draft. It is pretty much Noah Sewell and Jack Campbell. The others are for the most part thinner and faster types.