Time for a change

Chawker

Reaction score
Our defense needs a change or in our case a complete overhaul.

Fire Hurtt and hire Dan Quinn.

Get rid of all 3-4 players in our front 7 that don't fit into a 4-3 defensive scheme.

Draft Byran Bresee with our first selection. Then draft a solid MLBer with our second selection.

Barton and Collier have gotto go !

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not happening, other than Desai maybe leaving for a DC job.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the complete and utter lack of playmakers on the defensive side of the ball and think "coaches fault."

You literally have 8 of the 11 defensive starters who are mediocre to outright stink. Woolen, Diggs, Brooks, that's it......and even Diggs and Brooks are debatable.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Keep Nwousu but pretty much replace the rest of the DL. Bryant was overshadowed by Tariq's Pro Bowl rookie season but he forced 4 fumbles and is a scrappy CB with great upside. I also really like Neal and Jackson. I don't know enough about the X's and O's but it seemed like the 3/4 experiment failed. Maybe it's because our personnel is more better suited for the traditional 4/3? That is something our higher football IQ minds here could speak on.

QWERTY

Reaction score

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the complete and utter lack of playmakers on the defensive side of the ball and think "coaches fault."

You literally have 8 of the 11 defensive starters who are mediocre to outright stink. Woolen, Diggs, Brooks, that's it......and even Diggs and Brooks are debatable.

I think Diggs gets a pass because he came back this season pretty fast with a major injury against the cardinals.

Nunya

Reaction score

Get rid of all 3-4 players in our front 7 that don't fit into a 4-3 defensive scheme.

Draft Byran Bresee with our first selection. Then draft a solid MLBer with our second selection.

Quinn just signed a multi-year extension with Dallas about a year ago, so I doubt if he will be on-board with your suggestion.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Dan Quinn runs a largely hybrid system, not a strict 4-3. Getting rid of players with scheme versatility would absolutely not be what Dan Quinn would want to do here.

He also is in no world leaving for a move that isn't even lateral. He's leaving for HC or nothing.

hoxrox

Reaction score
DQ is interviewing for the Broncos HC job.

BASF

Reaction score

I absolutely agree with you about talent. However, there were far too many plays where there was literally no one within ten feet of a ball carrier who ran through our line. There were far too many instances of receivers running free through our zones, not because our players were slow but because the defense had been figured out. Hurtt's disguising of things is subpar. Also, the response to things that had worked against us was too slow all season.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I absolutely agree with you about talent. However, there were far too many plays where there was literally no one within ten feet of a ball carrier who ran through our line. There were far too many instances of receivers running free through our zones, not because our players were slow but because the defense had been figured out. Hurtt's disguising of things is subpar. Also, the response to things that had worked against us was too slow all season.

Yeah it was annoying how Purdy was able to hit his 3rd and 4th progressions for WIDE open receivers. I mean the 9ers oline is pretty good, but we couldn't get any pressure via talent or scheme.

flv2

Reaction score

The question is how close to their maximum potential is the DC getting from them, and would someone else get more. Even with a standard NFL base defense some coaches have better coverage or pressure schemes than other coaches.

...but to your main point no DC would have gotten the Seahawks 2022 defense highly ranked. There wasn't enough playing talent.

flv2

Reaction score
...and no team is 3-4 or 4-3 any more. It's all Nickel base with a 3-2 front plus a hybrid DL/LB 6th man.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete says the darnedest things...

All I know is Pete's scheme/gameplan made Woolen look hella bad in the playoff game. And then he admitted in the post game presser it was the plan's fault for his struggles. But Pete didn't think to change it during the game? The press didn't ask a follow up question of course, after such a revealing statement.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete says the darnedest things...

All I know is Pete's scheme/gameplan made Woolen look hella bad in the playoff game.

But not in the other 17 games? Weird.

Maybe, just maybe it was because Woolen had an injured ankle and was obviously hampered by it and was playing more off coverage than he usually does.

But don't let me get in the way of your 8,649th Pete bashing hot take.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete does the things that made him successful. They work until they don't.

The issue is that Pete then doubles down on them, because they did work.
He believes in what worked. The problem is that different solutions work in different environments. And in a competitive environment, things constantly change. Eventually the change happens at such a clip, over time, that things stop working. Then it forces Pete's hand for a bit. But he is usually reluctant to make that change.
Worse is that in competitive environments, trends take shape. And as other groups counter the trend, sometimes the solutions come full circle - for a time. Which means, briefly, that suddenly Pete's formerly ineffective solutions start working again. Reinforcing his tendency to want to double down.

Not sure the solution because it feels like the Sonics getting rid of George Karl thing all over again. The next guy is almost assuredly going to be worse - just by the math. (not at the DC level...not sure DC can get much worse). But when we got rid of Karl, we stopped doing some of the things that frustrated us about Karl. Then again, we weren't doing the things that Karl did that led us to winning and opportunities in the first place. We got Westphal, who was a nightmare. Eventually we got Nate McMillan, and started being a viable playoff team again - but it took years.

It will be interesting to watch if Denver turns around Wilson (that was my prediction as you recall, that he would suck this year and be very good next. Nobody expected him to suck as badly as he has though).

We kept Carroll and apparently dodged a bullet with Wilson. But I think with this version of Pete Carroll and this roster, we need to roll our expectations way back. We are closer to the Browns and the Fins than we are the 49ers. The Fins be a better team with a better future. We aren't yet in the bracket with the Falcons and Panthers but I think we are just above them. Probably with the Titans and Commanders in terms of quality (roster and near-term future). Maybe Browns and Raiders quality but you could argue that we are in the bottom half of the NFL teams. Maybe even close to the bottom third.

Expecting much from a team with that kind of reasonable expectations of success is probably futile. We aren't like the Steelers, not even sure we are on the level with Bucs & Saints (2 teams that beat us).
We are probably a borderline playoff team that will make the playoffs every 2-3 years, hover near .500, until we slowly start to get worse.

Any chance to change Pete out is probably gone. We probably have to ride this one out until Pete is gone, a few losing coaches are cycled through, and we are winning again.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
IF Jodi was ever going to gain massive respect from the fanbase, she has an opportunity to make the change at HC. And no, I'm not saying fire Pete. But..........I also would love to see some youth and some legit changes on both sides of the ball. Do I like Pete? Sure. But I get REALLY tired of him acting like everything is rainbows. No, it isn't Pete. And I don't need you to double down on how things are just fine. NO, even IF that's your thing to be overly optimistic about things. He's been very successful. However, 1 playoff win in 6 years isn't good enough.

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
Imho Pete gets a pass for another year. If we hit on this years draft with emphasis on the front 7, anything is possible.

RW was starting to get stale and another year without real progress will turn Pete into Limburger real quick.

I love the guy and things seem to be trending in the right direction, but a poor offseason will probably seal his fate.

I’m personally looking forward to another fundamentally sound draft without any reaches.

Could a defensive draft version of Cross, Lucas, and KWalk appease the masses? Time will tell.