This Years Cam Newton !?

Chapow

Reaction score
Uncle Si":313nnpll said:
My disagreement is not in that players should not be considered reflective of the city, but how the fans only use that as a bat to hit them with.

I've seen some fairly detestable comments about Sherman in particular on this board with barely an acknowledgement of all the tremendous things he does for the city and its people.

If we are going to harangue him to that degree over yelling at teammates or media members about football but ignore his actions as a citizen then it's simply disingenuous to say he represents the city.

This is a great post.

Richard Sherman does a lot of great things not just for the city of Seattle and surrounding areas, but also the community he grew up in. Especially for kids from low income families.

Do all the great and charitable things he does represent the city of Seattle or is it only his sideline outburst?

I wonder which of those things is more important? I wonder which of those things has a real and tangible effect on peoples lives?

Yet for some reason, one of those things "represents the city of Seattle" while the other isn't even so much as mentioned.

Eric,

Richard Sherman is a good man and a good citizen. I disagree with your statement that the players represent the city of Seattle for reasons already posted in this thread, but even if I didn't, I would be happy to have a man like Richard Sherman representing my city.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I am perfectly able to separate and compartmentalize Richard Sherman the football player, and Richard Sherman the person.

Dude's an awesome person off the field, and an inspiration to everyone coming from where he came from, going to Stanford and achieving his dream in the NFL.

That doesn't absolve him from being a good teammate. No one here criticizing Richard isn't aware of who he is, or all the great things he does off the field.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1g9ncklw said:
I am perfectly able to separate and compartmentalize Richard Sherman the football player, and Richard Sherman the person.

Dude's an awesome person off the field, and an inspiration to everyone coming from where he came from, going to Stanford and achieving his dream in the NFL.

That doesn't absolve him from being a good teammate. No one here criticizing Richard isn't aware of who he is, or all the great things he does off the field.

What is happening in this thread then? Alot of people are. That is what you are doing by suggesting his antics on the field are somehow reflective of the City of Seattle.

I've also read some pretty derogatory, personal (selfish, spoiled, "thug") comments made about the man based on him as a player, not a citizen. If you "separate" or "compartmentalize" those types of comments about a player based on his life as a football player I'd say you do not see him as reflective of the City.

Apples and oranges. not saying you do. But that was the basis of this whole thread.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":gggezojs said:
Sgt. Largent":gggezojs said:

What is happening in this thread then? Alot of people are. That is what you are doing by suggesting his antics on the field are somehow reflective of the City of Seattle.

I've also read some pretty derogatory, personal (selfish, spoiled, "thug") comments made about the man based on him as a player, not a citizen. If you "separate" or "compartmentalize" those types of comments about a player based on his life as a football player I'd say you do not see him as reflective of the City.

Apples and oranges. not saying you do. But that was the basis of this whole thread.

It's true, I can only speak for myself............but from watching and listening to a lot of national sports, I'd say I'm in the vast minority.

Most people around the country see Sherman as a petulant loud mouth that needs to just shut up already.

Obviously this is Seattle, we tend to give our own players a little longer leash if they continue to play well and win. So yes I disagree with the OP, I don't think just throwing tantrums on the sideline affects the love for Richard here. But everywhere else? Yes.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h7dosdz said:
sondevil89":1h7dosdz said:
"Always Compete" that's the Seahawks' mantra. If you have been in serious competition you will understand their frustration.

Give me that all day over players who are joking around on the sidelines while they are getting their asses kicked.

NE's playing in their 7th SB in 15 years, are they not always competing? Cause I don't EVER see their players screaming at coaches or being distractions.

This is a flimsy excuse for some of our players acting selfishly and being distractions. You can have both, be competitive, focused and not put yourself over team with tantrums and selfish nonsense.
Yep.....Players that have no heart and just don't give a shit.
There are some clubs that get the lions share of kudo's....Billycheat & the Patriots being one of them on the East Coast, McCarthy & the Aaron Rogers's -middle- And Anybody COWBOYS......Everyone else??? STFU.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ve9ntce said:
Put it this way, NFL players are like transient employees of a business in the entertainment industry. The business owns property, pays taxes and employs other people who work in and call that city home, but the highly-paid transient entertainment workers usually don't have those same attachments. It would be like promoter hosting a major rock band for 10 to 12 shows in a 21 to 23 week period of time in one city. You wouldn't hold members of that rock band to the standard of being ambassadors of your city, would you?
If'n they was Patriots, Packers or Cowboys you would :p

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1p5nshmx said:
Uncle Si":1p5nshmx said:
The difference here is not the players, but the way the coach handles hit.

Right, they get traded to Cleveland or benched. Pete makes excuses and enables his players, and says it's just cause they love to compete so damn much!

I don't know what the answer is, I just know Pete has to get a handle on this issue. Whatever that means.

In other words.........YOU don't KNOW, right?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
idle Eric":nnv972ex said:
Uncle Si":nnv972ex said:
kobebryant":nnv972ex said:

That's working for the city (also mandatory for NFL players). They do a great job.

But aren't these the same three players we are so disappointed in because of how they represent the city as Seahawks with all their mean yelling>

Does no one see the hypocrisy here?

I do.

Then Eric?, you're probably taking it way too personal....Unlike most sports adoring kids.... some grown ups are expecting standards from the players that they themselves couldn't live up to.
Some grownups seem to look too hard for flaws in everyone but themselves. (glass houses & rocks)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
idle Eric":1vsahk6n said:
The Organisation/franchise and the NFL don't see it any other way. They also don't see it as representing a community, city or area. That's why "franchises" move. The point is it's ok for the them to think that way but surely MOST fans see it very differently still !
OrganiZation with a Z

chris98251

Reaction score
If your looking for a moral code in the NFL by men raised in some of the worst areas of our country and then ask them to all of a sudden become Reverend Sherman, Baldwin, Bennett your probably are looking in the wrong place, the hypocrisy that is the NFL saying one thing but always going where the money is as far as player safety, salary's, ownership in itself a statement.

There are people in the city of Seattle that don't know Doug Baldwin, Richard Sherman or any of the other players, so how can they represent people that don't even know or care about them.

People putting THEIR moral code of ethics on others is dumb, look at every aspect of our society, liars, cheats, thieves. The higher the income bracket the more they commit this stuff because they become untouchable.

sondevil89

Reaction score
scutterhawk":xm0gv8h2 said:
idle Eric":xm0gv8h2 said:
The Organisation/franchise and the NFL don't see it any other way. They also don't see it as representing a community, city or area. That's why "franchises" move. The point is it's ok for the them to think that way but surely MOST fans see it very differently still !
OrganiZation with a Z

Not the spelling monitor here BUT since we are correcting an Englishman, it would seem somewhat disrespectful given that it is, after all, their language.

Organisation: it is correctly spelled with an "s" in England's Oxford dictionary.

Seems only fair, eh mate?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spell ... d-spelling

OP
OP
I

idle Eric

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm sure most of you have English far superior to mine but thank you.

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1db216uj said:
Dave Boling wrote about this very subject Wednesday, as compared to how the Patriot's with seemingly less roster talent have sustained their high level of play, while we've taken a couple steps back since SB 49.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sp ... 01719.html

The most damning sentence for me is this one;

Coach Bill Belichick will not allow complacency, divisiveness, inconsistency or predictability, and he benefits from handing the ball to incomparable quarterback Tom Brady.

Pete does allow divisiveness, and on the field we've been very inconsistent and predictable scheme and playcalling wise.

Lastly complacency? Certainly an argument could be made that some of the players and maybe even the coaches have become complacent now that they got paid and think they don't have to give full effort each and every snap/game.

Their seemingly high level of play comes from playing a murderer's row of quarterbacks including the likes of:
Brock Osweiler
Matt Moore
Trevor Siemian
Jared Goff
Charlie Whitehurst
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Colin Kaepernick
Landry Jones

And we're a team that's battled through injuries all season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22a8z1ut said:
Uncle Si":22a8z1ut said:
Sgt. Largent":22a8z1ut said:

It's true, I can only speak for myself............but from watching and listening to a lot of national sports, I'd say I'm in the vast minority.

Most people around the country see Sherman as a petulant loud mouth that needs to just shut up already.

Obviously this is Seattle, we tend to give our own players a little longer leash if they continue to play well and win. So yes I disagree with the OP, I don't think just throwing tantrums on the sideline affects the love for Richard here. But everywhere else? Yes.

I agree with you 100% on Sherman.. all of the players really. The team has been hurt by what made it great in the past. They need to recover.

My point was I don't think it goes as far as some fan from Pittsburgh cancelling his vacation plans to Seattle because Sherman thugged out on Andrews of Baldwin pooped a football.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
idle Eric":204mgos8 said:
Thank you. I'm sure most of you have English far superior to mine but thank you.

You're doing well and started a very good thread... with your first post no less.

nash72

Reaction score
I think the players respect Pete as a coach that allows them to be themselves, but not as an authority figure. Its a fine line. Take Sherman for example, after his sideline tirade, Pete went over to his locker after the game and they exchanged words, Sherman basically told him to piss off or whatever because he just walked away from him. Pete was left walking away shaking his head and that was that. A real authoritative coach would have benched that player for a game or at least fined him, but with Pete,,,,nothing. I remember when Holmgren would get that look on his face and it meant trouble. When he was in Green Bay, Dorsey Levens held out for more money, when he finally settled and came back, Holmgren ran him like 30 times that next game. Yeah, he got hurt, but the example was made. You cant let the inmates run the asylum.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
themunn":ix88h3fg said:
Sgt. Largent":ix88h3fg said:
Dave Boling wrote about this very subject Wednesday, as compared to how the Patriot's with seemingly less roster talent have sustained their high level of play, while we've taken a couple steps back since SB 49.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sp ... 01719.html

The most damning sentence for me is this one;

Coach Bill Belichick will not allow complacency, divisiveness, inconsistency or predictability, and he benefits from handing the ball to incomparable quarterback Tom Brady.

Pete does allow divisiveness, and on the field we've been very inconsistent and predictable scheme and playcalling wise.

Lastly complacency? Certainly an argument could be made that some of the players and maybe even the coaches have become complacent now that they got paid and think they don't have to give full effort each and every snap/game.

Their seemingly high level of play comes from playing a murderer's row of quarterbacks including the likes of:
Brock Osweiler
Matt Moore
Trevor Siemian
Jared Goff
Charlie Whitehurst
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Colin Kaepernick
Landry Jones

And we're a team that's battled through injuries all season.

Didn't we also play half these guys.

We also had the league's easiest schedule going down the stretch compared to the other playoff teams. So nonsense on the Pat's going 14-2 cause they played these QB's.

The Pat's are perennially great because they have a no nonsense coach that simply doesn't allow distractions, and if there is one, it's over by morning.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2invcdwm said:
The Pat's are perennially great because they have a no nonsense coach that simply doesn't allow distractions, and if there is one, it's over by morning.

Aaron Hernandez?

Gronk party bus?

Brady getting into it with offensive coaches, over and over again?

Distractions happen. And they certainly last longer than just the morning.

The difference here is that New England has allowed for two spokespeople, and thats it. Pete doesn't want that type of culture. He allows more than one "Brady"

I don't think you give enough credit to Pete and the culture he has constructed here. I look back on other very successful "dynasties" like the 80s/90s Cowboys or 9ers. Those were teams riddled with malcontents, criminals, societal blights only enabled by being professional athletes. Pete's players are anything but... and if they are he gets rid.

However, his players have let him down by turning this trust into something negative. Their frustration was not properly channeled. And we are criticizing them. These are good people letting their emotions out on the field. And let's be clear, they are frustrated because the team is not winning. Nothing more. Will be interesting to see how the team responds in the off season.