This Years Cam Newton !?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
They are a business. If they weren't making money while being based in that city, they'd be gone. That's your San Diego example. Raiders are also about to display their loyalty to Oakland.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
idle Eric":1vkmzjs9 said:
Uncle Si":1vkmzjs9 said:

What city do the Patriots represent? How about the Jets and Giants?

Players represent the Seahawks organization, and more importantly the NFL ...and sure, their fans.

Patriots, Jets, Giants - Boston, the State, New York the community they play in........ The point is they represent more than just an "Organisation" ! That's at the heart of the problem with the NFL'S "Franchise" thing !!! If as fans we think of it as just an "ORGANISATION" ! ........ Well ask a San Diego fan.

Yes your right the players do represent the "Seahawks organisation and the NFL" . But for some reason you don't think they represent the city or area ?

No i don't... they are professional athletes paid to move to the area to play football. New England isn't a state its a region. Does Tom Brady represent New Hampshire? The Jets and Giants play in New Jersey. Does Eli Manning represent Wildwood (so close to Philly) or Syracuse (much closer to Buffalo)?

How do the Seahawks represent you as a citizen of Seattle? Do they share the same ideals that you hold so dear about the city? Do you want athletes of which you have no control over coming to Seattle to suddenly represent you?

How many people who live in Seattle don't care for professional sports? Are they suddenly represented by Doug Baldwin, born and raised in Florida and a graduate of a college in California? Are you?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Emotions get high in high level sports, sometimes it bubbles to the surface and boils over.

The same fire that takes Sherman from the 5th round to a perennial pro bowler, and takes Bennett and Baldwin from undrafted to the Pro Bowl is the same fire that makes them combustible - you gotta take the good with the bad, and the good far outweighs the bad. These are imperfect beings that we're talking about here.

As far as how they represent the city:

https://www.richardsherman25.com/pages/foundation

http://thebennettfoundation.org/

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ask-force/

As far as Cam Newton - he's an entertaining football player, good in the community in North Carolina, gives game balls to kids, a recent MVP, and stays off the police blotter. He happens to be a sore loser, which isn't ideal, but is far from damning,

Uncle Si

Reaction score
kobebryant":2viyj6ot said:

That's working for the city (also mandatory for NFL players). They do a great job.

But aren't these the same three players we are so disappointed in because of how they represent the city as Seahawks with all their mean yelling>

Does no one see the hypocrisy here?

I'm fine letting the Seahawks represent me as a fan of the Seahawks. I think it's far more complicated and convoluted to assume they represent me as a citizen of Seattle while playing for the Seahawks as well.

OP
OP
I

idle Eric

Reaction score
Uncle Si":6efzxr4z said:
kobebryant":6efzxr4z said:

That's working for the city (also mandatory for NFL players). They do a great job.

But aren't these the same three players we are so disappointed in because of how they represent the city as Seahawks with all their mean yelling>

Does no one see the hypocrisy here?

I do.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Back to the Cam Newton thing...

What's interesting about this team is that the outbursts are coming from defined leaders. These are not, as one poster put it, selfish individuals acting out. They are frustrated individuals who feel this is the way their team expects them to represent leadership (right or wrong). They are pushing for something better.

Cam, to me, over celebrates and pouts when they lose. I see the two not comparable in action. It is left to be seen the impact on the other players.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ocit57qt said:
sondevil89":ocit57qt said:
"Always Compete" that's the Seahawks' mantra. If you have been in serious competition you will understand their frustration.

Give me that all day over players who are joking around on the sidelines while they are getting their asses kicked.

NE's playing in their 7th SB in 15 years, are they not always competing? Cause I don't EVER see their players screaming at coaches or being distractions.

This is a flimsy excuse for some of our players acting selfishly and being distractions. You can have both, be competitive, focused and not put yourself over team with tantrums and selfish nonsense.

Not offered up as an excuse but as simply understanding that it is an emotional game and things happen. It happens with every team every year. You may not always hear about it but trust me, it's there.

People used to freak out about Marshawn and his "antics" too until he became such a legend around here that it was akin to sacrilege.

I'm sure both Bennett and Sherman have some dues to pay and I believe that they are both man enough to own up to their shit. Honest truth, it doesn't bother me one little bit.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I wonder how much Pete Carroll misses having more senior figures like Red Bryant, Michael Robinson and maybe even Chris Clemons around. I always got the impression that they played a big role in ensuring that egos stayed in check and focused on the common goal.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
idle Eric":3xp5u6u4 said:
The players, the "ORGANISATION" and the NFL are all hypocrites.

No more so than the fans who would gnash teeth over the actions of Sherman or ADB on the field, even calling them out on Social Media without taking into account the great things they do for the community or the sacrifices they make for their fans in the name of entertainment.

Whole business is hypocrisy..

OP
OP
I

idle Eric

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1y8yly31 said:
idle Eric":1y8yly31 said:
Uncle Si":1y8yly31 said:

What city do the Patriots represent? How about the Jets and Giants?

Players represent the Seahawks organization, and more importantly the NFL ...and sure, their fans.

Patriots, Jets, Giants - Boston, the State, New York the community they play in........ The point is they represent more than just an "Organisation" ! That's at the heart of the problem with the NFL'S "Franchise" thing !!! If as fans we think of it as just an "ORGANISATION" ! ........ Well ask a San Diego fan.

Yes your right the players do represent the "Seahawks organisation and the NFL" . But for some reason you don't think they represent the city or area ?

No i don't... they are professional athletes paid to move to the area to play football. New England isn't a state its a region. Does Tom Brady represent New Hampshire? The Jets and Giants play in New Jersey. Does Eli Manning represent Wildwood (so close to Philly) or Syracuse (much closer to Buffalo)?

How do the Seahawks represent you as a citizen of Seattle? Do they share the same ideals that you hold so dear about the city? Do you want athletes of which you have no control over coming to Seattle to suddenly represent you?

How many people who live in Seattle don't care for professional sports? Are they suddenly represented by Doug Baldwin, born and raised in Florida and a graduate of a college in California? Are you?

Yes New England is a state, that's why I said "the state". The point is the "organisation" represents the City, State, Area or community whatever you want call it. I'm not suggesting they represent you as an individual citizen.

The NFL is a horribly ruthless business. The players, their agents, the Organisation/franchise and the NFL don't see it any other way. They also don't see it as representing a community, city or area. That's why "franchises" move. The point is it's ok for the them to think that way but surely MOST fans see it very differently still !

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Well, idle Eric, what's it like in Britain in regard to professional soccer? Are the players on those teams compelled to feel that they represent the community that they are payed to play for? Do they hold themselves to a higher standard because of this?

kobebryant

Reaction score
The great 'Is New England a State ?' debate of 2017.

I'm gonna go with no.

OP
OP
I

idle Eric

Reaction score
Uncle Si":172ohtca said:
New England is a state? What's the capital?

:D my bad ! I'm from Britain it's a long way away , sorry :lol:
I think you got my point though.

OP
OP
I

idle Eric

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":odgphf39 said:
Well, idle Eric, what's it like in Britain in regard to professional soccer? Are the players on those teams compelled to feel that they represent the community that they are payed to play for? Do they hold themselves to a higher standard because of this?

It's much the same. They let themselves , the fans and Thier towns and cities down constantly . I have to say though I think most British fans see Thier professional sports clubs as representing what ever area the club is from.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
idle Eric":1l2d5fvp said:
Uncle Si":1l2d5fvp said:

No worries :)

My disagreement is not in that players should not be considered reflective of the city, but how the fans only use that as a bat to hit them with.

I've seen some fairly detestable comments about Sherman in particular on this board with barely an acknowledgement of all the tremendous things he does for the city and its people.

If we are going to harangue him to that degree over yelling at teammates or media members about football but ignore his actions as a citizen then it's simply disingenuous to say he represents the city.

Unless Seattle has turned into a manic, hyper sensitive puddle of hypocrisy..

sondevil89

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1nqom0se said:
idle Eric":1nqom0se said:
Uncle Si":1nqom0se said:

My disagreement is not in that players should not be considered reflective of the city, but how the fans only use that as a bat to hit them with.

I've seen some fairly detestable comments about Sherman in particular on this board with barely an acknowledgement of all the tremendous things he does for the city and its people.

If we are going to harangue him to that degree over yelling at teammates or media members about football but ignore his actions as a citizen then it's simply disingenuous to say he represents the city.

LOL, yeah, you would have to say it is somewhat disingenuous to thrust the whole "role-model" thing onto them when you have little league parents rioting in the stands over a game between 8-year-olds.

OP
OP
I

idle Eric

Reaction score
Uncle Si":zaqumcfu said:
idle Eric":zaqumcfu said:
Uncle Si":zaqumcfu said:

I get it . I do completely get that. :D
Sherman is great . I guess that's part of why it feels like it dose. I really do hold him as player and man in high esteme.