This was in my work email at Boeing today...

ZagHawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":34owiyv9 said:
ZagHawk":34owiyv9 said:
They're not too generous with the pride points where I'm at. Heck I have to guilt people into instant vouchers, and that takes no work to give.

Anyway, no I'm not a contractor, I'm direct, just not SPEEA or IAM.
Man.. I used to get 300-400 a year. Now I get about 100-150. At one point I had 1600, but with Xmas gifts and stuff I am down to 1050. Bought a bunch of Hawks gear too at the Boeing store right after the Super Bowl.

I feel like I'm generally liked and I do a good job because I do get my promotions in a timely/early manner as well as good PEs. But I think it took me like my first 3 years to get even 300 pride points, and even in the past 2 years where I've been getting demolished with work (and my most recent promo) I've had a total of maybe 150 pride points. So whenever I do get pride points now, I pretty much use them on small ticket items because it just takes waaay too long to get enough for anything big now :(.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Another employee here... engineer... SPEAA... it'll be 35 years for me come January.

Always in Everett except for a short stint in Renton helping them certify interiors of backed-up 737s immediately after the 40-day year 2000 SPEAA Strike was resolved. "No Nerds, No Birds" was our cry on the picket lines.

Currently working in Product Development in Everett.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3js0d69i said:
loafoftatupu":3js0d69i said:
ZagHawk":3js0d69i said:
They're not too generous with the pride points where I'm at. Heck I have to guilt people into instant vouchers, and that takes no work to give.

Anyway, no I'm not a contractor, I'm direct, just not SPEEA or IAM.
Man.. I used to get 300-400 a year. Now I get about 100-150. At one point I had 1600, but with Xmas gifts and stuff I am down to 1050. Bought a bunch of Hawks gear too at the Boeing store right after the Super Bowl.

I feel like I'm generally liked and I do a good job because I do get my promotions in a timely/early manner as well as good PEs. But I think it took me like my first 3 years to get even 300 pride points, and even in the past 2 years where I've been getting demolished with work (and my most recent promo) I've had a total of maybe 150 pride points. So whenever I do get pride points now, I pretty much use them on small ticket items because it just takes waaay too long to get enough for anything big now :(.
Zag.. you and I both know why the pride points went down. The big ones were always approved by management and since the introduction of people like Hammonds and Hinshaw there have been massive cutbacks on that stuff.

I got them because of being associated with projects that I didn't really even contribute a lot to on top of the ones I did. Now I see a few 25s and the occasional 50 from a once generous organization.

Hahaha. . Are you familiar with Plan, Build and Run?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
RockHawk":2l9funoh said:
Seeing who some of you are that work on Boeing Jets makes me want to use Airbus. :)
Whether you like us or not, I can honestly say that when a Boeing mechanic, especially in the Puget Sound builds an airplane, that there is a strong sense of pride. That there are a large number of extremely talented workers that share great concern with doing the best job they can.

I joke around here a lot and I offend a great number of people while goofing around, but as a mechanic I worked my ass off. It is not the "Lazy B" as so many imagine. We are perfectionists for the most part that take the responsibility very seriously. I haven't built a plane since 1999, but I wouldn't hesitate to put my family on any of the planes I built. I still look up at nearly every plane that flies over and admire it if it is one of ours.

There are flakes in every business, but for every flake there are 10 guys that know the flake to make sure the job is done well. Before we even allowed a customer to inspect a craft we have teams of our own mechs going over the plane with a comb. Even when the plane is within design tolerances, there is a guy going above and beyond to resolve a potential defect.

Trust me, the Boeing commercial jet is built by guys with skill and pride.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
+1 Production Engineering(ME) on 737 for the last year, trying to meander my way back up to Everett to be closer to home.

I have exactly 1 whole Pride point left. Spent the bulk of the ones I earned on Lowe's Gift Cards and a set of Bose earbuds. Didn't even know they still gave them out, nobody around here gets them.

drdiags

Reaction score
ZagHawk":mbys3mi3 said:
How many of us here work at Boeing?

I did 21 years at Boeing, most with Flight Controls Research (we were at Renton until a little after the 777 launched, then we moved across the street from Flight Test at Boeing Field). We became known as the IASL. I bounced back and forth between Flight Test and the Lab as our management joined us all under Roger Seeman at the time.

I am now pulling in my sweet Boeing pension (enough to buy wine/beer, but it's all good)!. I left in Feb 2001 because of the morale due to folks getting canned and the SPEEA-strike. I doubled my salary due to what I gained at Boeing. Will always have a warm spot in my heart for what we did while I was with the company.

[on-topic] I am jealous as heck that I cannot get one of those larger-scale models. Dang it!

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
Pride points have become much more rare in the last couple years.

And I don't have any to spend on this, I almost always use them to get Lowe's cards right away.

Always some damn thing to spend the Lowe's cards on around this house....

I work in the 2-25.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
nice got one of those to put together today along with some other trinkets from training camp and a flask I picked up at the smoke shop with the superbowl champions hawks logo on it.

JCUs1L6

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":1dlcrfx7 said:

And I don't have any to spend on this, I almost always use them to get Lowe's cards right away.

I work in the 2-25.

Heh.. the old executive quarters. Did you land one of those private offices? I was next door in 2-122 for a couple years. Went to Jalisco's and the other joint right there many times and of course the 2-25 cafeteria. The Lowe's gift cards, if my wife knew about those I would be working on stuff every weekend.

I am going to get the small version of the plane for sure, just because it is there and something different.

RockHawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":15rwdqvr said:
RockHawk":15rwdqvr said:
Seeing who some of you are that work on Boeing Jets makes me want to use Airbus. :)
Whether you like us or not, I can honestly say that when a Boeing mechanic, especially in the Puget Sound builds an airplane, that there is a strong sense of pride. That there are a large number of extremely talented workers that share great concern with doing the best job they can.

I joke around here a lot and I offend a great number of people while goofing around, but as a mechanic I worked my ass off. It is not the "Lazy B" as so many imagine. We are perfectionists for the most part that take the responsibility very seriously. I haven't built a plane since 1999, but I wouldn't hesitate to put my family on any of the planes I built. I still look up at nearly every plane that flies over and admire it if it is one of ours.

There are flakes in every business, but for every flake there are 10 guys that know the flake to make sure the job is done well. Before we even allowed a customer to inspect a craft we have teams of our own mechs going over the plane with a comb. Even when the plane is within design tolerances, there is a guy going above and beyond to resolve a potential defect.

Trust me, the Boeing commercial jet is built by guys with skill and pride.

I truly hope you know me well enough to realize it was sarcasm, otherwise I haven't been this disappointed since seeing Anguish in this year's Victoria Secret wings.

I have nothing but respect for you guys, and I know you build a damn fine piece of machinery, so quit being so sensitive! :thirishdrinkers:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
To be honest Air Bus actually makes a damn fine airplane (at least the few I've been on going Sea<->Tokyo). But of course if I'd prefer to be in a Boeing. I'm sad when I was in Everett I walked around the first 787 being built like almost every day. Now it's in service, and to this day, I have non stepped foot in one. I'm glad I'm on the MAX now. Finally involved with a plane I'll probably get to enjoy for once in my life (past programs were freighters or military).

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
ZagHawk":16j6cvy7 said:
To be honest Air Bus actually makes a damn fine airplane (at least the few I've been on going Sea<->Tokyo). But of course if I'd prefer to be in a Boeing. I'm sad when I was in Everett I walked around the first 787 being built like almost every day. Now it's in service, and to this day, I have non stepped foot in one. I'm glad I'm on the MAX now. Finally involved with a plane I'll probably get to enjoy for once in my life (past programs were freighters or military).
It is fine until you have to work on it. But flying on one you only notice the noise levels on the airbus (which are much higher with gear and flap movement)

Servicing one? Like re-sealing door thresholds and getting access to the nose in the cargo area. All the materials for the pre 87 jets are shared, even by Bombardier and they are all safe, but experience as a passenger is mostly on the airlines themselves. Seat configuration and head location.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3eg47n7a said:
ChiefHawk":3eg47n7a said:

I work in the 2-25.

Heh.. the old executive quarters. Did you land one of those private offices? I was next door in 2-122 for a couple years. Went to Jalisco's and the other joint right there many times and of course the 2-25 cafeteria. The Lowe's gift cards, if my wife knew about those I would be working on stuff every weekend.

I am going to get the small version of the plane for sure, just because it is there and something different.

Almost everyone in my group has their own office, I share with one other. The best part is the fact that I get a window - after so many years of USN secret-squirrel stuff a window rocks. Looks out into the atrium, right at the Lone Sailor statue.

Almost like they knew I was coming...

And now that the bridge is open again, many more lunch options, so if everybody would just STOP scheduling meetings over lunchtime...

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Did Paul Allen pop for this team plane, or do all NFL teams roll with 747s?

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":1g9xb49u said:

I'm pretty sure this was all Boeing's doing, seeing as Boeing is a Seattle icon along with the 'Hawks... I'm pretty sure most of the exec's with the power to do this are mostly Seahawks fans... But that's just speculation on my part.

And if you walk from one end of the Everett Boeing plant to the other, you see tons of Seahawks banners, signs, t-shirt, hoody's and hats... and even hand painted stuff. And we held Seahawk rallies, on company time. So it's not too hard to imagine spending a little money on a cool paint job. Maybe that's what the models are for... to recoup the money for the paint job! :)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2z2qppud said:

Nope.. he did buy a 757 executive jet that the Blazers and Hawks used to share, but they sold it. It was configured with face to face first class seating, single aisle and 2x2 seats. Now they charter business class. I think there might be something special coming though, it won't be a 47.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":3ecc1415 said:
Almost everyone in my group has their own office, I share with one other. The best part is the fact that I get a window - after so many years of USN secret-squirrel stuff a window rocks. Looks out into the atrium, right at the Lone Sailor statue.

Almost like they knew I was coming...

And now that the bridge is open again, many more lunch options, so if everybody would just STOP scheduling meetings over lunchtime...

I used to know a few guys with private digs over there. If you weren't virtual, it was certainly more plush. I do go on site a couple times every pay period, 3 of us share an entire corner with windows spanning half the way on each side (almost) we have a lab that needed to be secure so we have it all to ourselves.