Random thoughts on the Packers game

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Packers D cant out-physical anyone, so they have to resort to NBA cheap flopping techniques to try to stop anyone. Matthews is the king of flops. I'd be embarrassed to see my star Defensive player have to resort to that crap instead of just beating the man in front of him.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
Bruce irvin had a couple nice pressures on one had got a holding call. On the play where maxwell broke up the long pass irvin brought the pressure.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Game ball to Carp and Sweezy! Both guards played like raging rhinos! The beast was great but don't forget the guys who made the wholes! Seriously they laid out some vicisious punishment.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
A nice win for you guys! A couple thoughts on it:

*Sheesh, as a football fan it's just tons of fun to Watch Lynch, Percy, and Wilson on the field together. Even as a 9ers fan I have to love it, just a ton of fun to watch these guys playing with each other.

*Loved a lot of the offensive playcalling, particularly adding the wrinkles to the read option.

*In one play we learned why neither Thomas or Sherman should be on special teams. Big mistakes by both of them on that play, and another near fatal mistake by Lane (?) on another one. Do the Hawks really not have anyone else who can return punts or cover the gunners?

*The Packers just aren't built to beat power teams. With the Patriots they're a holdover to the mid-2000s style of play. Really curious to see what the Saints end up looking like, as it seems like they may have been the only team in this mold to successfully transition into this new era of teams like the Hawks, Panthers, and 9ers -- definitely a move the Broncos seem to be trying to make this year too, although we'll see if that works).

*The Packers, on top of getting beat, really shot themselves in the foot tool. The Hawks had two scoring drives on which the Packers had gotten them off the field only to give up stupid penalties.

*Overall I thought the Packers' game plan on offense was a sound one, it just didn't work out at all. Running the hurry up both mitigates against the Hawks' use of D-line rotation, and I think CAN mitigate to some degree against the 12th man (in the hurry up all the yelling means the Hawks' defense has trouble communicating too, and in the first half it sounded like the crowd needed some recovery time on the Packers' long drive also :lol: ). I don't think the Pack are the last team that will try to do this while playing in the Clink, the downside of course being that if it doesn't work the game can get out of hand really quickly.

*So too with going after Maxwell, which I thought worked, save for a fluky INT off a tipped pass. As is Pete's way the Hawks just kept up lining it up straight, but I'm guessing the Packers were waiting for the Hawks to shade coverage before going to the other side of the field and trying their luck with Sherman (it just never happened).

*Lacy exposed himself as the overrated back that he is (too soft of a runner until he hits the second level, and is way, way too plodding to try to break off the play and bounce around the edge over and over again as he did. Marshawn is excellent at this; if the hole isn't their cut back and take the first lane behind the first line of the defense, don't try to get all the way outside and give the d time to recover.

*What % of Wilson's incompletes were throwaways? He has always been a smart player, but is getting even smarter. He still isn't stepping into the pocket and there might be less gigantic game breaking plays as a result, but by just throwing it away rather than spinning back again he'll also limit those deep back breaking sacks that happen with him sometimes. Overall what he was doing last night seems MUCH more in line with the Hawks strategy.

*Overall, it's a really good win over what is an incomplete but really good team. Definitely a win to be proud of.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
We followed our usual pattern of playing close the first half then wearing them down physically and making great adjustments the second half.

Things to keep an eye on:

Miller. Guy did a fantastic job helping out Britt and made some great catches. We could have two TE's who are threats this season.

Okung. Is he rusty or is he never going to be that good? Guy didn't put on the glass slipper, his foot IS the glass slipper. I'm starting to wonder if that foot spells the end of Okung. Wilson didn't scramble as much because with Britt and Okung getting not just beat, but blown past, he has no way to scramble. The fact Pete's game plan was for Wilson to make those quick passes in the pocket tells you that preseason practice exposed how bad our OT situation is and how easy it will be to contain Wilson this year. Wilson looked ready for it.

Carpenter/Sweezy/Unger. Last year Marshawn didn't get nearly as many 100 yd games as in 2012. I think we'll see a lot more 100 yd games thanks to that interior line. Wilson ran one up the middle and I thought it was about time he realized where the running lane was.

Baldwin. Very short yardage for ADB and only 3 catches. He was Wilson's go to guy when Wilson was scrambling, Baldwin got open for a lot of first downs last year. If both OT's are as poor as I think they are this year, Wilson will be contained a lot this season. That's why they've implemented that quick passing game we saw last night. This means they'll have to find a way to work Baldwin into the offense because the guy's too clutch not to. The passing game can't be all Harvin. We need more than 4.7 ypc from Baldwin.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I predicted Maxwell would lead the team in interceptions. So far, that's looking like a good call.

Really impressed with Coleman and the run blocking last night. (I also predicted Peppers would get horsed in the run game. One of the first few plays, I remember Britt absolutely trucking him.) In fact, I thought Miller, Britt, and Sweezy had an excellent game, overall. Britt is showing real promise. Unger also looked more 2012 than '13. Carpenter was road grading.

How about Burley? He looked pretty stout as a slot corner; he might end up better than Lane. That would be a hell of a pickup by Schneider for a 6th.

Lynch deserves special recognition. You could see how Lacy would get caught in traffic and he'd get kind of stuck. (He broke a few back out, but for the most part, he stopped churning.) Meanwhile, Lynch's drunken master style of running opened up a lot of 10 yard gains. It's like a wobble and go. He may have his best year yet.

Lockette, I think, has benefited from ST gunner. He looks really good in open space, and I honestly was surprised to see him look a valuable asset instead of a guy who's just on the team.

Avril and Bennett look like they're going to be a special pair again this year. One thinks they were working on technique rather than sacks in the preseason. Paid dividends tonight. Avril got around Sherrod so fast, the right tackle looked like he was waving goodbye.

(Finally, my wife, who is a Packers' fan, did not like my intimation her team got run off the field. Though she let me say the team got dominated. She's weird.)

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2566qfoj said:
A nice win for you guys! A couple thoughts on it:

*Sheesh, as a football fan it's just tons of fun to Watch Lynch, Percy, and Wilson on the field together. Even as a 9ers fan I have to love it, just a ton of fun to watch these guys playing with each other.

*Loved a lot of the offensive playcalling, particularly adding the wrinkles to the read option.

*In one play we learned why neither Thomas or Sherman should be on special teams. Big mistakes by both of them on that play, and another near fatal mistake by Lane (?) on another one. Do the Hawks really not have anyone else who can return punts or cover the gunners?

*The Packers just aren't built to beat power teams. With the Patriots they're a holdover to the mid-2000s style of play. Really curious to see what the Saints end up looking like, as it seems like they may have been the only team in this mold to successfully transition into this new era of teams like the Hawks, Panthers, and 9ers -- definitely a move the Broncos seem to be trying to make this year too, although we'll see if that works).

*The Packers, on top of getting beat, really shot themselves in the foot tool. The Hawks had two scoring drives on which the Packers had gotten them off the field only to give up stupid penalties.

*Overall I thought the Packers' game plan on offense was a sound one, it just didn't work out at all. Running the hurry up both mitigates against the Hawks' use of D-line rotation, and I think CAN mitigate to some degree against the 12th man (in the hurry up all the yelling means the Hawks' defense has trouble communicating too, and in the first half it sounded like the crowd needed some recovery time on the Packers' long drive also :lol: ). I don't think the Pack are the last team that will try to do this while playing in the Clink, the downside of course being that if it doesn't work the game can get out of hand really quickly.

*So too with going after Maxwell, which I thought worked, save for a fluky INT off a tipped pass. As is Pete's way the Hawks just kept up lining it up straight, but I'm guessing the Packers were waiting for the Hawks to shade coverage before going to the other side of the field and trying their luck with Sherman (it just never happened).

*Lacy exposed himself as the overrated back that he is (too soft of a runner until he hits the second level, and is way, way too plodding to try to break off the play and bounce around the edge over and over again as he did. Marshawn is excellent at this; if the hole isn't their cut back and take the first lane behind the first line of the defense, don't try to get all the way outside and give the d time to recover.

*What % of Wilson's incompletes were throwaways? He has always been a smart player, but is getting even smarter. He still isn't stepping into the pocket and there might be less gigantic game breaking plays as a result, but by just throwing it away rather than spinning back again he'll also limit those deep back breaking sacks that happen with him sometimes. Overall what he was doing last night seems MUCH more in line with the Hawks strategy.

*Overall, it's a really good win over what is an incomplete but really good team. Definitely a win to be proud of.

Good post. I appreciate good football, too, regardless of which team is playing. I just love it it that it's the Hawks this time!

A London Hawk

Reaction score
Having missed most of the game as I had to be up early, and you know, 1:30 am start time in the UK, I headed here first thing this morning hoping random thoughts was here. I'm glad I wasn't dsappointed, thanks Kearly.

Been doing some more reading since then and per MMQB (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/05/seattle-s ... fl-week-1/) the pop pass or whatever it's being called was apparently Pete's idea.

That said, Peter King laid out 5 things that needed to happen for that play to work, the last being

5 . Bevell has to have the guts to call the play. He does.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Thunderbird":17k185rd said:
Kearly,

You should get paid for this kind of insight. I love your posts (they rock!).

Thank you...
I am certain Kip will take your money. PM him for the details.

HansGruber

Reaction score
kearly":34ktezp9 said:
Seahawk Sailor":34ktezp9 said:
I dunno, man. The only "ooooo's" I heard on Lynch's runs were of the "ooooooo damn dude just got trucked" variety.

The way the crowd expressed it.... that's generally not how people say that kind of "oooo" normally. It's like their saying "bluuuuuuuue" or something but not enunciating the consonants. It's damn weird. The fact that nobody has mentioned this anywhere and yet fans have been doing it now at home games for a while has me puzzled. Maybe my memory is wrong, but I remember hearing it in the preseason (and Lynch only had like 3 carries in the preseason).

They were yelling Beast Moooooooooooooooooooooooode!! At least that's what I heard in my section.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3pmwxe8w said:
glad2bdada3":3pmwxe8w said:
Get on the phone to Champ Bailey. We got no Corners left. Pick'em up for the Nickel......what the hell

Alright, can we time this guy out for a while here? This is like the 4th thread he's tried to troll with this nonsense.

Don't cry..............I have a different opinion than you so I should be banned?

Tical21

Reaction score
I didn't get the Lynch thing either. I think what you're hearing is that everybody wants to say SOMETHING when he gets the ball, but nobody knows what to say, so you get kind of an oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. We might have to work on that.

I'm really glad you went into as much detail as you did for this write-up. For the first time in a long time, I just watched for the enjoyment of it, and largely followed the ball around the field, rather than focusing on the trenches. Percy and Marshawn were just too entertaining, and the Packers passing game was largely a trainwreck.

I think what we saw was the absolute floor for Percy. If he wasn't so anxious out there, and gets 16 touches, he gets a couple of those to the house.

Is it just me, or did we basically run out of the gun just about all night? If Marshawn is going to run against 5 and 6 man fronts, it is over. That was the easiest 110 of Marshawn's Seahawks career. You couldn't tell if Marshawn lost a little willingness to put his head down for a 2 yard gain, because he wasn't asked to do it. I hate the read-option game and all of the versions that come with it. I really do. But we are darn dangerous with that action.

Avril and Bennett stepped up with the pass rush. That was great, but we need to see some other folks. Jordan Hill didn't look very effective. I didn't see Schofield do much. Irvin seemed to be in there a bit later in the game.

There were so many plays where our WR package was Kearse, Walters and Lockette. I didn't expect to see that. I'd be anxious to see a snap count at WR.

I don't understand how people are going to stop Percy and Lynch. Then throw in Baldwin and the TE's, and oh yeah, if you manage to bottle all that up, Russell is just going to scamper for the first down. If I was playing Madden, and my opponent wanted to use the Seahawks, I would quit.

Largent80

Reaction score
I only saw Miller miss ONE block. Other than that, he made the best catch a Hawk TE has ever made and blocked like ....well...a Beast

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
After Bennett strip-sacks Rodgers and forces the safety, NBC brings up Bennett's pictures with his stats and everything. Well, the first picture they show has Bennett's signature along with "Black Santa" just underneath it. Haha, love that guy.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Largent80":3vxkg9ip said:
I only saw Miller miss ONE block. Other than that, he made the best catch a Hawk TE has ever made and blocked like ....well...a Beast

Yeah, he missed that early chip block that allowed Clay Matthews to run Lynch down from behind, but once he got that out of the way, he was excellent in the blocking game (and of course, the passing game).

HansGruber

Reaction score
Tical21":31ccanwt said:
I didn't get the Lynch thing either. I think what you're hearing is that everybody wants to say SOMETHING when he gets the ball, but nobody knows what to say, so you get kind of an oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. We might have to work on that.

NO. The crowd was yelling Beast Moooooooooooode! Some people were yelling Beast, and I think that's why it came across as a soft O on the television broadcast. But in person it was clear as day.

BEEF MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE!!

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
This. Incredible.

richard-sherman.png

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
HansGruber":zj613cdw said:
They were yelling Beast Moooooooooooooooooooooooode!! At least that's what I heard in my section.

Thanks!