This Loss Proves We Aren't Elite (Yet)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, when the Hawks win close it's because they're lucky. When the Niners and other teams win close games (even giving up a ton of yards and points) it's gutsy. They gave up 46 points, 46. Can you imagine this board if the Hawks won a game and gave up 46? :shock:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ab3mpse said:
That's your opinion, not fact. And that's fine.
It is fact. Just look at all of the numbers. This team is good, but not great. We're not bad, we're better than mediocre, we'll probably have at least 11 wins but we're not a top tier team. I'm sorry but this team not going anywhere this season, too many major holes.

If we look at defense we rank 27th in the NFL. In offense we're trending down, we were near the top but after the last few weeks we've had a slump. Our pass defense is ranked 29th our run defense is ranked 13th. We're 22nd in points given up at 24 per game. We're not doing particularly well in the points for vs points against category.

Total overall offense, in particular rush offense is the only metric that we're above average in, and even that has been dropping lately.

Not an elite team by any stretch of the imagination and I expect that we're going to either be out in the wildcard round or lose in the divisional just like every year since 2014.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So it's FACT that they can't win it all because you said so? That's all I'm trying to point out.
Why bother even playing the games if they can't win? The playoffs are a brand new season. Just get to the Tourney and anything can happen. We can agree to disagree, and I'm not saying they are winning the Super Bowl. But, they CAN win it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2imzlum9 said:
So it's FACT that they can't win it all because you said so? That's all I'm trying to point out.
Why bother even playing the games if they can't win?
I'm saying that if we go by the numbers the Seahawks aren't that great, only good. I'm also saying that it is highly unlikely that we reach the Super Bowl. Since our last appearance we actually have a sub .500 winning percentage in the playoffs, and the team we're fielding this year while good has some huge weak points particularly on defense. All of these factors make us unlikely contenders for the big game.

I'm quite confident that we won't even make it to the NFC Championship game this season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Makes sense. What happened up to this point has nothing to do with what will happen in the upcoming games. Especially the playoffs. This team certainly has some holes, but they also can get hot and do some damage.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":32yud1wn said:
Makes sense. What happened up to this point has nothing to do with what will happen in the upcoming games. Especially the playoffs. This team certainly has some holes, but they also can get hot and do some damage.
That has not happened since 2014. Since then our playoff performance has been mediocre, and in 2014 we had arguably the greatest NFL defense in the modern era.

The only way we do something is we get back track on offense and abandon the current Carroll philosophy and put all of our eggs in the offense basket. I'm not confident that Pete Carroll will do that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1w6667ao said:
I can handle them losing on the road to a motivated and desperate Rams team.

What I can't handle is the team playing disinterested and sloppy with a clueless, spineless game plan. That's what really bothered me about this game. They were never in it.
Precisely. I'm not upset THAT we lost, I'm upset at HOW we lost.

Absolutely pathetic on offense, and we didn't show any hurry and hustle until what, like five minutes left.

Abysmal. Disappointing. Embarrassing.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Certainly making the SB is a possibility but it's not like 2013 where everyone and his dog knew we were the best team in the NFC and only one other team was vying for elite status (Those best all time offensive Broncos). We put them down and erased all doubt.

This year I don't think anyone has that 2013 vibe. But that doesn't mean we can't beat the odds. But it does mean we aren't the odds on favorites.

But until you are formally eliminated, there's always a chance and long shots do win sometimes. I'll take it but by no means am I counting on winning in the playoffs. Pass rush will be our achilles heel.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We were not at all in control in that game. Unlike the Saints and Ravens losses, and even the last Rams squeaker win, this time it looked like we weren't even trying (Diggs and Shaquem excepted).

IDK if Carson can handle all the runs by himself, and him getting hurt would gash our season. We have Hollister, DK and Gordon as realistic pass-catchers. Something is definitely going on with Ty, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him compromised in Week 17.

We got problems going forward than just one bad game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plenty of work to do. But it certainly doesn't run a season and/or erase the fact that they are 10-3 with a LOT right in front of them. One game doesn't mean this team is going to fall on their faces.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The odd part about this question is that we have HAD an elite team. We went to the SB with it. Twice.

We were dominant and able to beat any opponent no matter how good they looked.

Teams had to have their best games to beat us, and even when we had bad games we tended to win (though more closely).

We know what elite looks like. There is no way this is an elite team.

It is a very good team with a much better defense and an offense that is hard to stop.

It is clearly a playoff team, though I think expecting the division is a large ask. Not out of reach, we certainly have a 1 in 3 chance of beating the 49ers on our field (ideally it won't rain). But it will be tough.

And we cannot afford any slips or stumbles before that game. Overlooking the Cards or Panthers would be disastrous.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
1 in 3 chance at home? Likely in prime time? They just beat the Niners in their own house, and had the game in hand before the Refs literally chose to ignore a facemask that kept the game close on that "touchdown"
That game is a tossup if it's for the Division title on the 29th. The vaunted Niners D just gave up 46 points. 46.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We don't play well in the rain.

It is cold and wet out right now. Winters tend to be cold and wet, so I expect there is a good chance it will be raining or wet on that day. Ideally, hopefully, not.

I would give it 50/50 chance but for that factor.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":yu6eqqf4 said:
The odd part about this question is that we have HAD an elite team. We went to the SB with it. Twice.

We were dominant and able to beat any opponent no matter how good they looked.

Teams had to have their best games to beat us, and even when we had bad games we tended to win (though more closely).

We know what elite looks like. There is no way this is an elite team.

It is a very good team with a much better defense and an offense that is hard to stop.

It is clearly a playoff team, though I think expecting the division is a large ask. Not out of reach, we certainly have a 1 in 3 chance of beating the 49ers on our field (ideally it won't rain). But it will be tough.

And we cannot afford any slips or stumbles before that game. Overlooking the Cards or Panthers would be disastrous.

1 in 3 chance of beating the whiners??

71tr1PI90RL SS500

Can you pull a rabbit out of there also??

Wilson is 28-11 at home in the rain...please tell me more how the weather will determine this game. :roll:

D

DomeHawk

I was wondering when we would be exposed. We are a team with an elite record only.

Smoke and mirrors.

Our luck just ran out last night.

Onward!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We can't win in the Rain
We can't win on the road
We can't win at 10am
We can't beat the Niners, or the Vikings, or the Rams.

So many we cant's...…..

D

DomeHawk

And, we are not the same team without a healthy Tyler Lockett.

We don't have another player as proficient in the scramble drill.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":38at53bv said:
We can't win in the Rain
We can't win on the road
We can't win at 10am
We can't beat the Niners, or the Vikings, or the Rams.

So many we cant's...…..

I am drinking my beer and you CANT stop me. :mrgreen:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ejd7wofc said:
We can beat the 49ers. We are going to have to.

But we have gotten lucky. Some of that luck we refused to take advantage of - but it was there for the taking.

That Rams game could have easily been a loss.

We have faced 4 teams without their starting QB. (One of which, the Saints, we lost to anyway.)

We faced the 49ers without Kittle, who is one of their best players and most important players on offense.

For the most part, we took advantage of the breaks we were given.

But the 49ers have proven themselves on the road, against a team we couldn't beat at home...even though the Saints were not even playing their starting QB against us. More importantly, the 49ers came back from behind on the road with 50 seconds remaining in the game. They earned their spot. We will have to knock them off it - or we are what we expected, a wildcard team in a very tough division.

The bright side is no Rams to worry about. So this isn't even bad news.

But to overlook the role that luck played in some of our success would require willful ignorance. We are still a very good team but trying to say this team is elite would be stretching the definition mightily.

Willful ignorance?? Fine, I can easily use that logic:

We lost Dissly, who was on pace for a top 3 TE season.

Ed Dickson, who is a solid TE, is still injured

We lost Britt, who’s the main communicator on our O-line

We just lost Penny

Lockett has been injured since the Niners game. If we had a healthy Lockett during that interception drive, we likely don’t even need the Niners kicker to miss the field goal.

Meyers struggled with missing kicks

Carson and Metcalf have fumbled

I can go on and on. But it is absolute willful ignorance to focus ONLY on the other team’s mistakes and injuries, and not ours.

Actually I will go on. Clowney is injured. Diggs didn’t play the first 9 games of the season. Tedric Thompson is no longer on the field to get burned and giving up flukey plays. Ansah had to regain weight. Reed was missing for the first 6 games.

So sure, if you buy into the anti-Seahawks narrative of us being “lucky” great. But the fact that we won despite injuries and all those mistakes says a lot about this team. Please, for the love of God stop pretending as if our opponents haven’t gotten PLENTY of breaks too.

If we lose to the Niners, literally no 49ers fan will go “Well you lost your second best receiver and blocker(Dissly), you lost your best Center (Britt), and you lost your explosive home run RB (Penny). They will laugh and declare themselves the better team. And people like yourself will eat it up instead of looking at it from both sides