This is very hard for me to say..............

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
But you can see it in the play calling. With marshawn you know what all three downs look like. Teams have 3 years of the same film to study the same plays. The biggest change on o isn't at the RB it's a drop three and throw, not drop five and look. The shorter routes open up running and longer passing.

Hot routes open the blitz. The RO lost its effectiveness this year because Russ always gave it on first and second and most always rolled left on our side,rolled right on their side of the field. In other words there were tendacies that surfaced.

We finally have a playbook for this offense. We maybe better statistically and in reality but we still would have lost to the Panthers. That team sustained very long drives with some flash but always got that small rush to move the chains.

With our offense clicking, we still need a d to put our o on the field more often so we can start creating point differentials between us and opponents.

Largent80

Reaction score
This s should be called the revolving door offense. Because that's what it is and should be with the always compete mantra.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3hsl72ix said:
I think it is too soon to say. Rawls is great, and runs more like alexander ran, but Lynch at the beginning of the season had a few things working against him.
1.) He was not at 100%. Partially his stomach stuff, and some physical issues. He is getting older, and we might never see the brutal force he was in 2013. He has been such an integral part of the teams success I think we have to give him another shot at it.
2.)The oline was still very fresh and learning. Communication up front was lacking and lynch ran into a pile of defenders every down. Because wilson was not able to open up the passing game for various reasons, teams focused on stopping our run. This worked well as in stopping the run they also broke down our front and collapsed the pocket.

Almost every team is having issues with the OL. I see a ton of posts on here angry that the coaches just don't go out and buy a line. They can't. College offenses have put much less of an emphasis on OL as it is a spread system that doesnt require the same level of play as the NFL. There are just not enough offensive lineman of high caliber coming out of the colleges.

Pete and John know this, and I think rightly decided to train their own. That money that would have been spent on OL can now go to other areas. It will take 2 or 3 years, but they are creating an OL system in which they have guys in the wings who they are training (like Nowak) to eventually take the reins when current OL contracts come up and get too expensive. It makes total sense to me, and I think the rest of the league will be following suit in years to come.

With this current line's effectiveness finally starting to come to fruition, I think Lynch will have much better stats when he comes back. The passing game has opened up as well, which in turn gives our RB's a much better chance to find holes.

The other thing, and maybe most important piece, is the attitude Lynch brings to this offense. The walk-in scores where he just just drops the ball like its a mic kills the opposing teams spirits. The guy is a baller, can carry 3 defenders on his back to get the first down. Completely frustrating for defenses that have the right scheme and defense called, and Lynch still could kill them.

I think the combination of the 2 will be great. Hopefully Lynch is back for the playoffs and can do what he does best, coupled with Rawls, to take us all the way this year.

GREAT point. I shall preface this as a bicycle principle. When you first learn to ride a bike...you are wobbley and may fall down and get hurt. Hopefully on the grass not on the pavement which will leave a scar on your knee for the rest of your life. (dunno how I know this :mrgreen: ) .. But you learn and get better and better. Soon you can start doing tricks and get jiggy with the bike. So after the draft we have mini camp, training camp, and preseason, and then beginning of season. All those times are the bike ride that you just started. With Nowak, we needed time to get him in as we learn the best when we fall and learn to keep our balance bicycle analogy. Not so much now an experiment is it?? Hands on training and then pull him when we get close to the end of our last second of getting our balance. We were at the end of the timeframe necessary for us to be in the post season. So now we have a trained bicycle rider in at Center and he knows where everything is at. His replacement is back on the learners permit on the bike.

Now to change the bike analogy a tiny bit.....So I ride or rode a bike a long time. But not a certain bike and certain methods. Well, my friend does hard core mountain biking. That means he locks his shoes in his bike. He gets more muscle work out that way rather than just the downpedal. Now for you to not acquire tons of pain and broken limbs you must practice falling as you have your feet as a part of the bike. If you dont learn how to fall without screwing up...YOU WILL GET HURT. So, To Nowak, now he has trained on the bike, has experience on the bike...and is back learning how to fall now and get back on the bike. The next group is on the practice squad learning on the bike. Hopefully they get time on the bike and then go to the next level where they clip into the bike.

Go Hawks.

byau

Reaction score
Well as people have said, Marshawn and Jimmy have caused "distractions". Maybe they themselves haven't, but the media, Marshawn's mom, all these people asking "How come you're not getting the ball to Marshawn more?" "How come you're not targeting Jimmy more?"

When Russell and Bevell and Pete don't have to worry about that anymore, look what they can do.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I said this in other threads.

Seahawks have become more unpredictable without Lynch. Defenses can't just gameplan around one player anymore... And that makes an uber elusive QB like Wilson who spreads the love even more dangerous.

It helps that the line is coming into form, Bevell is getting more creative with a spread offense plus bunch WR routes, and Wilson is getting the ball out quickly.

Its not just Lynch being out but I think his abscence has been one of the primary reasons for recent success for reasons stated above.

However, like I said... I would love for Lynch to return in the post-season and even next year if he takes a reasonable pay cut ($2-3m).

Then have the Seahawks play Thomas Rawls to start the 1st and 3rd QTRs. With Lynch coming in as the Primary in the 2nd and 4th QTRs.

That could be a recipe for an ultra physical 1600 -1800 yard, 12-16 TD running back in 2016.

However, I think Lynch retires after this season. But its definately something I want to see this post-season. Fresh Rawls, Fresh Lynch imposing thier physicality against Defenses with all-out play for 4 QTRs.

Uptempo Spread Offense with Rawls with the team looking to score every possession to put the Seahawks ahead.

More Read-Option looks with Lynch for clock-draining, soul-killing, defense tiring smash-mouth drives keeping the Seahawks D off the field and fresh.

With elusive Wilson continuing his elite play would just befuddle Defenses to all hell.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Lynch's 17.1% of attempts stuffed is the worst in the league. Same offensive line, different results (Rawls 5.7%).

Avoiding tackles for a loss or no gain is a big deal when it comes to extending drives. How much of that is defenses showing a six or seven man front instead of eight or nine? I'm not sure but the results are all that matter.

The numbers don't lie, Rawls has been better than the Lynch that we saw to begin the season.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2v0okx2q said:
I said this in other threads.

Seahawks have become more unpredictable without Lynch. Defenses can't just gameplan around one player anymore... And that makes an uber elusive QB like Wilson who spreads the love even more dangerous.

It helps that the line is coming into form, Bevell is getting more creative with a spread offense plus bunch WR routes, and Wilson is getting the ball out quickly.

Its not just Lynch being out but I think his abscence has been one of the primary reasons for recent success for reasons stated above.

However, like I said... I would love for Lynch to return in the post-season and even next year if he takes a reasonable pay cut ($2-3m).

Then have the Seahawks play Thomas Rawls to start the 1st and 3rd QTRs. With Lynch coming in as the Primary in the 2nd and 4th QTRs.

That could be a recipe for an ultra physical 1600 -1800 yard, 12-16 TD running back in 2016.

However, I think Lynch retires after this season. But its definately something I want to see this post-season. Fresh Rawls, Fresh Lynch imposing thier physicality against Defenses with all-out play for 4 QTRs.

Uptempo Spread Offense with Rawls with the team looking to score every possession to put the Seahawks ahead.

More Read-Option looks with Lynch for clock-draining, soul-killing, defense tiring smash-mouth drives keeping the Seahawks D off the field and fresh.

With elusive Wilson continuing his elite play would just befuddle Defenses to all hell.

Perfectly said.

warden

Reaction score
Cartire":329feju5 said:
I love reading how everyone feels like we were forcing the ball to Jimmy when just 4 weeks ago, All I heard is how he's not getting targeted enough.

This place is so much fun to read.

Hey don't go confusing posters here with facts

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1bqrjnbh said:
But this offense is better without Marshawn.

Now before you jump all over me, hear me out. With Lynch, our philosophy was being a physical pound the ball keep the game close until the 4th quarter when Marshawn could start wearing the defense out.

While that style was successful, it was also predictable and suffocated Russell's dynamic skill set because team's figured out that all they needed to do was put 8-9 men in the box to stuff Marshawn while containing Russell, which limited his effectiveness.

With Rawls Bevell and Russell can finally take the chains off the playbook and be as dynamic and fluid as they want to be, and IMO that's what great offenses are all about........being unpredictably explosive and efficient. That's what I see now.
Can't disagree with this ^
It takes a really special kind of Athletic Quarterback with a lot of smarts to run this system. :thirishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think it was Lynch, we seen the same bone headed stuff last year and it took changing the pace and the offense to a spread/read option and the inflict our will attitude versus the control the ball and play not to lose mentality we seen before. Up 28 points and we go for it on 4th down is an example. We are playing killer instinct football on Defense and Offense now. It shows. Rawls is a beneficiary of that change, he has some skills that are different then Marshawn like as others have said hitting the hole quicker, but I have also heard that he needs to learn patience in hitting the hole as well from many analysts.

I think we were just beginning to see the incorporation of no specific target offense and make the reads and throw before Graham went down, I also think we have given Wilson more on field control now as well and that shows. We all seen the offense looking forced to get it to Harvin and then Graham and then Lynch when there has been criticisms, I think the taking off the governor on Wilson will and has helped that. Wilson also has hot reads now that he didn't have before that he can go to.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Lynch didn't have the line or the health to put up the numbers. I would say though, eventually, this needs to be Wilson's team, period. Lynch's injury is giving everyone the chance to see a "Wilson Owned" Seahawks, and personally I like the results. So from a Lynch perspective, I'm glad Russell is getting his chance to show that he is and can be the epicenter of Seahawk success.

Even without the defense... (Pittsburg game)

If Lync was healthy he would still be putting up great numbers at this point with the O-line falling into better play. (in my opinion). Though he wouldn't have had a 200 yard game.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Shock2k":1bh7p1qy said:
Lynch didn't have the line or the health to put up the numbers. I would say though, eventually, this needs to be Wilson's team, period. Lynch's injury is giving everyone the chance to see a "Wilson Owned" Seahawks, and personally I like the results. So from a Lynch perspective, I'm glad Russell is getting his chance to show that he is and can be the epicenter of Seahawk success.

Even without the defense... (Pittsburg game)

If Lync was healthy he would still be putting up great numbers at this point with the O-line falling into better play. (in my opinion). Though he wouldn't have had a 200 yard game.

If rawls can stay healthy I really like our offense in the next couple years. Wilson, Baldwin and Okung are the oldest and they are only 27 right now.

QB - Wilson 27
HB- Rawls 22
WR1- Baldwin 27
WR2- Lockette 23
WR3- Kearse 25
TE- Willson 25

LT-Okung 27
LG- Britt 24
C- Lewis 24
RG- Sweezy 26
RT- Gilliam 25

I could see them brining in some oline talent. Maybe another TE/WR

Sac

Reaction score
The difference between Lynch and Rawls is that Lynch seeks contact, while Rawls will avoid it if he can and only hit a defender to finish a run.

Lynch doesn't run through the tiny holes we've seen Rawls exploit. He'd rather try and make a guard or a linebacker his bitch and get YAC.

Really though, that's the only difference between the two. Or at least the major one that I see. I think the play calling would only be different because Lynch's style has a tendency to get him stopped for short gains early during a game, and that forces a lot more 3rd and 5s instead of 3rd and 1s and 2s.

samwize77

Reaction score
I say platoon them. Doesn't matter to me who starts, I'm not to sentimental. Whomever has the hot hand gets the majority of the carries. Situational football does play into this though. Certain down and yards might play to a particular players strength.

A

Anonymous

Whatever they are doing, they are doing it right. (No more "we", right...?)

I totally see what Sarge is saying, and I agree with those saying we are a lot more unpredictable with Rawls in there.

I also agree with Scotte, that Marshawn will blend into things just fine. It's not like he trots on and they say "Okay, yeah..., we know what to do" and start shutting the O down again. No, the way teams are playing the Hawks on D, they will still have issues when the Beast is in.

Especially if we ease him back in.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":iakax189 said:
Whatever they are doing, they are doing it right. (No more "we", right...?)

I totally see what Sarge is saying, and I agree with those saying we are a lot more unpredictable with Rawls in there.

I also agree with Scotte, that Marshawn will blend into things just fine. It's not like he trots on and they say "Okay, yeah..., we know what to do" and start shutting the O down again. No, the way teams are playing the Hawks on D, they will still have issues when the Beast is in.

Especially if we ease him back in.

See I don't know if Marshawn will come back and be OK with sharing carries equally, or being the change up back.

Would his ego be OK with not being THE man?

The idea of both Lynch and Rawls pounding the rock seems awesome, but I'm not so sure he'd be OK with getting less carries than Rawls, especially in the playoffs.

Pete's presser yesterday kinda came off like Lynch might be done here, as Pete didn't seem all that concerned with even where the hell Marshawn is right now.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, but...

Pete is the master of media manipulation. He's like a mixture of Belichick and Sean Payton, but much better at it. He cares, he's just not going to allow anybody to get a grip on what the plan(s) really are.

Although I agree that Marshawn has a level of pride in what he does, I want to believe he has a willingness to allow the team concept to prevail when it comes down to flat out winning.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2dadj3k8 said:

Although I agree that Marshawn has a level of pride in what he does, I want to believe he has a willingness to allow the team concept to prevail when it comes down to flat out winning.

Maybe, but he's had instances like in Arizona where he flipped off the coaches for not giving him the ball where it might spell trouble if he comes back and Pete tells him he's not the #1 back anymore.

I could see that not going well.

This is not Pete's first rodeo with Marshawn, so IMO if Pete gets that vibe from Marshawn that he doesn't want to come back (even if healthy) if he's not the primary back getting his 25 carries a game he'll just tell Marshawn to stay away. He won't let that be a distraction going into the playoffs.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1b6mugr2 said:
HoustonHawk82":1b6mugr2 said:

Maybe, but he's had instances like in Arizona where he flipped off the coaches for not giving him the ball where it might spell trouble if he comes back and Pete tells him he's not the #1 back anymore.

I could see that not going well.

This is not Pete's first rodeo with Marshawn, so IMO if Pete gets that vibe from Marshawn that he doesn't want to come back (even if healthy) if he's not the primary back getting his 25 carries a game he'll just tell Marshawn to stay away. He won't let that be a distraction going into the playoffs.

Didn't Marshawn go out of his way to get Forsett extra carries? Something about saying he was tired, I can't quite remember the whole story.

Google for the win.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/art ... 259f7b99e8

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2y81a1t7 said:
Maybe, but he's had instances like in Arizona where he flipped off the coaches for not giving him the ball...

Thats still an unconfirmed reason. We have no idea who he was flipping off. If he was doing it out of anger/spite or out of playful banter. You dont know if it was directed at the coach or another player. I found it really weird how fast everyone just assumed he was flipping off Bevell though and ran with it as fact.