This is going to be a great game

Canuck49

Reaction score
Hi folks - 49ers fan here. Been a lurker on your boards for quite some time. You've got an informed, passionate and dedicated fan base. This is the best rivalry in the NFL these days because it isn't just about hype and media. It's about the two best teams in the NFL going head to head and beating the snot out of each other. Two dominant defences. Two young, dynamic and improving quarterbacks. The next ten years in the NFC West are going to be a battle - especially if the Cardinals and the Rams continue to improve.

Here's my take on the game (hoping to have a good back and forth discussion on matchups etc. To me arguments such as "OUR FRONT SEVEN IS THE BEST ZOMG!" are kind of pointless.)

1) Kaepernick has to play very well for us to win. Wilson doesn't have to play very well for the Seahawks to win. Your home field advantage is real. The Saints game showed that Beast Mode and the defence can win a game when your QB is subpar (that's not intended as a shot. But Seattle passing game hasn't been clicking past month). This is especially true at home where your 12th man makes the late shifting and last minute snap approach of the 49ers offence very difficult to execute effectively. In my opinion, Kaepernick needs to generate two TDs (passing or running) by himself with no turnovers for us to win.

2) A healthy Crabtree, Boldin and Davis makes a difference for the 49ers as does an emerging Patton. But I still give the edge to your secondary. The niners needs the passing game to do enough to stop you guys from playing that Bear or Eagle front or whatever it is called when you stack 8 across the line. Gore has to be an impact player in this game. He hasn't been able to do that, especially in Seattle, in the most recent matchups. I think the 49ers offence is much better going into this game than it has been all year.

3) Our pass protection needs to hold up. The niners offensive line is excellent. But its strength is really in the run game. It struggles at times against the pass. And that is especially true in obvious passing downs against speed rusher. That package of pure pass rushers you guys can run out there is a big challenge. The niners need to stay ahead of the chains and keep the 3rd downs to less than 5 to go as much as they can.

4) Niners pass rush has to keep Wilson in the pocket. Containment is even more important than sacking him. Wilson is a dynamic player. He clearly has a good football IQ. But he isn't the same player when force to pass from the pocket as he is on the edge or when he is scrambling (at least that's how it looks to me). When he breaks contain that's when the shot plays happen. The niners and the cardinals did a good job with this in the two most recent games.

One common thing I've noticed between the 49ers fan base and the Seahawks fan base is the total frustration we have in our offensive coordinators. The sheer number of "Bevell sucks!" threads is only rivalled by the sheer number of "Roman sucks!" threads. It's really quite hilarious. Two teams built around running and defence running what many casual fans consider to be sub part offensive schemes with a lot of questionable play calling. And yet, here we are, 14 wins each and one win away from the Superbowl.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't provoke flames and yelling (but this IS the internet). Just wanted to give my take of what our side needs to do. And curious to get your collective take on what your side needs to do. I think whoever wins this game will win the Superbowl. I don't think those AFC teams can handle the beating the NFC West can deliver.

What matchups worry you guys? What are your keys to the game? Eager for some good football talk and friendly banter. I think this is our best shot to finally get a win at the CLink. But this game is still a pick 'em to me.

GO NINERS!

HawkStar3

Reaction score
I mostly just wanted 'hawk fans to read this again. Have some perspective folks!!!
"One common thing I've noticed between the 49ers fan base and the Seahawks fan base is the total frustration we have in our offensive coordinators. The sheer number of "Bevell sucks!" threads is only rivalled by the sheer number of "Roman sucks!" threads. It's really quite hilarious. Two teams built around running and defence running what many casual fans consider to be sub part offensive schemes with a lot of questionable play calling. And yet, here we are, 14 wins each and one win away from the Superbowl."

My analysis is that we have very similar teams and a fantastic home field advantage. I think the Seahawks win this game by 10.

OP
OP
C

Canuck49

Reaction score
We have a lot of niner fans who overreact to every sub 200 yard passing game Kaepernick has. They lament the Smith trade and even post openly about drafting a QB high to pressure Kaepernick. They also beg for Roman to be fired, the whole while forgetting the 9 year playoff drought and the revolving door of offensive coordinators who sucked.

I'm grateful that my team is relevant again and part of an epic rivalry. Sundays are way more fun when your team matters. And these two teams are going to matter for a long time.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Canuck49":1ut8yl3q said:
Hi folks - 49ers fan here. Been a lurker on your boards for quite some time. You've got an informed, passionate and dedicated fan base. This is the best rivalry in the NFL these days because it isn't just about hype and media. It's about the two best teams in the NFL going head to head and beating the snot out of each other. Two dominant defences. Two young, dynamic and improving quarterbacks. The next ten years in the NFC West are going to be a battle - especially if the Cardinals and the Rams continue to improve.

Here's my take on the game (hoping to have a good back and forth discussion on matchups etc. To me arguments such as "OUR FRONT SEVEN IS THE BEST ZOMG!" are kind of pointless.)

1) Kaepernick has to play very well for us to win. Wilson doesn't have to play very well for the Seahawks to win. Your home field advantage is real. The Saints game showed that Beast Mode and the defence can win a game when your QB is subpar (that's not intended as a shot. But Seattle passing game hasn't been clicking past month). This is especially true at home where your 12th man makes the late shifting and last minute snap approach of the 49ers offence very difficult to execute effectively. In my opinion, Kaepernick needs to generate two TDs (passing or running) by himself with no turnovers for us to win.

2) A healthy Crabtree, Boldin and Davis makes a difference for the 49ers as does an emerging Patton. But I still give the edge to your secondary. The niners needs the passing game to do enough to stop you guys from playing that Bear or Eagle front or whatever it is called when you stack 8 across the line. Gore has to be an impact player in this game. He hasn't been able to do that, especially in Seattle, in the most recent matchups. I think the 49ers offence is much better going into this game than it has been all year.

3) Our pass protection needs to hold up. The niners offensive line is excellent. But its strength is really in the run game. It struggles at times against the pass. And that is especially true in obvious passing downs against speed rusher. That package of pure pass rushers you guys can run out there is a big challenge. The niners need to stay ahead of the chains and keep the 3rd downs to less than 5 to go as much as they can.

4) Niners pass rush has to keep Wilson in the pocket. Containment is even more important than sacking him. Wilson is a dynamic player. He clearly has a good football IQ. But he isn't the same player when force to pass from the pocket as he is on the edge or when he is scrambling (at least that's how it looks to me). When he breaks contain that's when the shot plays happen. The niners and the cardinals did a good job with this in the two most recent games.

One common thing I've noticed between the 49ers fan base and the Seahawks fan base is the total frustration we have in our offensive coordinators. The sheer number of "Bevell sucks!" threads is only rivalled by the sheer number of "Roman sucks!" threads. It's really quite hilarious. Two teams built around running and defence running what many casual fans consider to be sub part offensive schemes with a lot of questionable play calling. And yet, here we are, 14 wins each and one win away from the Superbowl.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't provoke flames and yelling (but this IS the internet). Just wanted to give my take of what our side needs to do. And curious to get your collective take on what your side needs to do. I think whoever wins this game will win the Superbowl. I don't think those AFC teams can handle the beating the NFC West can deliver.

What matchups worry you guys? What are your keys to the game? Eager for some good football talk and friendly banter. I think this is our best shot to finally get a win at the CLink. But this game is still a pick 'em to me.

GO NINERS!

Who are you and where do you come from?

No way, you're a Niners fan.

OIC, Canadian....that explains it. Good post, enjoy the pre game build up, should be epic.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Canuck49":2bhf8w45 said:

So true. I've lurked over there on occasion and the one constant on that board is people being irate over Roman's "predictable" formations and conservative approach. Of course, if Gore doesn't get 20 carries, then they kill him for that, too. It's all so familiar. I even remember posts over there marveling at Bevell's schemes and remarking that he did a way better job of coaching the receivers.

And now these are the last two OCs standing in the NFC. Funny how that works.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think the AFC teams lack defense all around. They're score heavy teams that rely on getting a jump on the scoreboard and try and coast it. I don't see the AFC winning the SB I see them getting punched in the mouth by the NFC only to realize how soft and easy the AFC has been to them. And how real and dominant the NFC has been

DrDix

Reaction score
Exittium":kiae8wl1 said:
I think the AFC teams lack defense all around. They're score heavy teams that rely on getting a jump on the scoreboard and try and coast it. I don't see the AFC winning the SB I see them getting punched in the mouth by the NFC only to realize how soft and easy the AFC has been to them. And how real and dominant the NFC has been

I think you're exaggerating the AFC teams lack of defense. The Broncos defense completely shut down the Chargers for 3 quarters, and the Pats picked off Luck four times...

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Canuck49":19w5xd0c said:

It's true about Wilson. FACT: Wilson was just 8/19 in the first game when the Seahawks won by 26 points

The reality is, the running game will probably decide this: FACT: The team that has ended the game with more rushing yards in 8-0 in this rivalry since 2010

Myth #1: Michael Crabtree Changes Everything

FACT: Crabtree has never scored a touchdown against Pete Carroll's Seahawks

FACT: Crabtree averages 3 catches and 34 yards per game vs Seattle since 2010

FACT: Crabtree played in Seattle last year during the Seahawks 42-13 victory

True for both teams.

Wilson is great in the pocket.

GO NINERS!

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Just wanted to say great post. I'd love to start a dialogue about this but I think you hit a home run with it. Very realistic and hard to argue against a very level headed rationale. Bravo good sir!

hawk45

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1n1ho3sm said:
Canuck49":1n1ho3sm said:

So true. I've lurked over there on occasion and the one constant on that board is people being irate over Roman's "predictable" formations and conservative approach. Of course, if Gore doesn't get 20 carries, then they kill him for that, too. It's all so familiar. I even remember posts over there marveling at Bevell's schemes and remarking that he did a way better job of coaching the receivers.

And now these are the last two OCs standing in the NFC. Funny how that works.

Come on, it's a near-historical defense, I give credit for being smart enough to hand the ball off half the time. Now, that's about all that's called for, so that doesn't make Bevell the worst OC in the league, but nobody is looking at us like we have this symphonic offense.

That said, I think both fanbases now realize how important their #1 WRs are to their passing offenses. Matching up #2 WR talent with #1 corners in the NFL and so forth is a recipe for futility, and much of the frustration can be attributed to that. So the two teams can definitely thank their stars that their team is built to win games with sub-par passing offenses due to injury or whatever.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Nice post..I would question the characterization of Patton as emerging..he had 3 catches all regular season even with Crabtree and Manningham hurt and had 1 catch last week. and against the Packers had 1 rush for a total of minus 1 yard.

Anyway, I agree, it will be a great game..potentially an all time classic.

OP
OP
C

Canuck49

Reaction score
Vetamur -- emerging needs some context re: Patton i suppose. I likely didn't use it correctly. He's clearly not an established nfl player. But in the games he has been back Kaepernick has shown a willingness to target him and Harbaugh has shown a willingness to play him. In that context he is emerging as a player who will get some snaps and allow the niners to play some three wide sets. That's been lacking all year. The kid has shown good upside.

Also Patton had a broken foot. Missed a bunch of games. He's only been back since week 15 or 16.

chris98251

Reaction score
Patton is the 49ers answer to Harvin really or to a degree, they just have the same issues, being able to stay on the field. I did like what I saw from the kid when he did play though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Great post. I appreciate the candid comments. Interesting that someone found you out...You are a Canadian. Good call on him and on you. This is in the most respectable tone too. :)
P.S. Was not Patton a general in WW2?? OH not that Patton. oops.
Gotta have fun with it. It will be a fantastic game. It could only be a 21 pt total game. I dont think so. But It could. Hope for no injuries and a great game. Go Hawks.