Things the Seahawks Have Taught the NFL

dogorama

Reaction score
I am reading an article on NFL.com this morning entitled "Seahawks Together Again" where the reporter writes, "It doesn't take long to figure out a trip to the Virginia Mason Athletic Center is unlike a visit to any of the other 31 facilities in the NFL." It's true, the Seahawks, like the innovative company Apple Inc., dare to "think different." So it got me to thinking about how the Seahawks have brought a combination of non-traditional and very-traditional concepts to the NFL in the last few years. These are just my quick thoughts, I will list a couple but feel free to expand on those or list your own:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... qb-derbies

(Not necessarily in order of importance)

1. Culture:

a. Respect: PC and Co. have created a culture that enables player buy-in by respecting the individual and individuality of the athlete, while also stressing the value of team togetherness.
b. Opportunity: There is a also a sense of fairness where the player knows that they will be judged by what they produce not by their respective status.
c. Fun: It's still a game that we played as children growing up. You can have fun and be competitive too.

2. Defense: Amidst the NFL's love of high-scores equating high entertainment, PC's core beliefs have not only brought a resurgence in the importance of a good defense but also an appreciation of the entertainment value of excellent defensive play. Without the gut-wrenching loss to the Seahawks in 48 the Broncos don't win 50.

3. Running back: With each successive year of skyrocketing passing yard statistics the NFL's tradition of running the ball began to diminish . Except for truly premier players, backs whose shelf life limited their value were relegated to lower round picks. PC and the Seahawks proved once again that a power running game combined with a stifling defense will limit your opponent's opportunities to beat you. Result? No losses by over 10 points in four years, the Seahawks are literally in every game.

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated, Seattle Seahawks!

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I would add that the team has hard coded the belief that they can always win regardless of how uneven the score is; (recent examples, Green Bay, Carolina almost comeback for the ages). This attribute is demonstrated every single play by Russell Wilson, and it's rubbed off on the rest of the team. And I don't think this is a lesson that can be necessarily adapted by other NFL teams, hence my belief that the Seahawks dynasty is inevitable.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Palmegranite":tu841z9j said:
I would add that the team has hard coded the belief that they can always win regardless of how uneven the score is; (recent examples, Green Bay, Carolina almost comeback for the ages). This attribute is demonstrated every single play by Russell Wilson, and it's rubbed off on the rest of the team. And I don't think this is a lesson that can be necessarily adapted by other NFL teams, hence my belief that the Seahawks dynasty is inevitable.
:ditto:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The coaches have also implemented a forward-thinking mind/body/spirit element to the mental aspect of championship-caliber ability in the way of meditation and visualization techniques I have never heard another NFL club implement.

AFI Russell Wilson meditating

chris98251

Reaction score
While it's great this stuff is being recognized the Seahawks have been teaching the NFL for just about day one about the importance of the fans, at first the NFL tried to make rules to limit how the fans interact, the Seahawks didn't buy it, then the NFL tried to use spies and research to debunk how the fans were making a difference and it only proved we were legit, then teams tried to copy what Seattle fans did with piped in noise and were caught, currently they try to nullify the fans here in Seattle by saying it's only because of Stadium design, yet other teams are trying to build noise enhancement stadiums.

The Seattle Seahawks are very, very good teachers :)

makkapakka

Reaction score
Tall corners with press coverage.

Go cheap on o-line

Converted o-lineman

2 qbs only

Pocket qb that happens to be mobile

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Grow a lot of your own draft picks so they can earn the next contract. Take a runner if you think it may work. If it doesnt.....Let it go. Cut your losses if you have to.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta cut bait and look foolish for believing in the first place to improve the team.

two dog

Reaction score
Tackling. They are teaching the NFL a better, safer and surer way of tackling.
Thank you Rocky Seto and thank you to the sport of Rugby.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Every game (and practice for that matter) is a championship opportunity.

It would be corny and cliché in a lesser coach's hands, but with Pete's ability to foster buy-in, it's a huge game changer. It raises the level of importance for everyday, mundane activities. Everything counts, everything matters. Those details add up to consistently being amongst the best of the best.

two dog

Reaction score
There was a lot of tittering across the league that Pete's "rah-rah" style
and "brotherhood" mantra would never work with the uber-cynical pro
players.
Who's preaching the same thing now? Damn near everybody.

Another thing you hear a lot is the "compete for their position" which also
arrived with Pete.

chris98251

Reaction score
two dog":1691wgk1 said:
players.

arrived with Pete.

What I find refreshing is that players come here and state WOW it's true, other places talk the talk but it's just that talk, exception possibly Jacksonville, other places adopting the catch phrases but it's business as usual.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Play your rookies. Pete has put the young guys in the rotations early to get them game experience and build them from the beginning. Holmgren didn't even recognize rooks

mikeak

Reaction score
Sunk cost is a common business concept few truly understand / is willing to live by

Seahawks will sign what they think will improve the team but will move on when wrong

Flynn, Percy Harvin, Cary Williams - costly and pretty quickly replaced much quicker so than I think other teams. They didn't fit and instead of compounding the mistake they recognized the sunk cost was past and eliminated future cost and kept the team happy

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
"Always Compete", "Doing it better than it has ever been done before" Pete Carroll's mantra just doesn't play out in football but it goes further than when it has to do with being a human being. I don't know for sure if other teams are the most charitable, but it seems like most of our players are philanthropist, even ex-Seahawks who played during Carroll's early years here.

two dog

Reaction score
chris98251":3ma3rps4 said:
two dog":3ma3rps4 said:
players.

arrived with Pete.

What I find refreshing is that players come here and state WOW it's true, other places talk the talk but it's just that talk, exception possibly Jacksonville, other places adopting the catch phrases but it's business as usual.

You are exactly right, it is hollow talk. Sort of "If we talk like Pete, maybe we'll win like Pete".

On a broader and deeper level it's working too. Not just the NFL vets who come here but kids
coming out of college.
This is probably best illustrated by Tyvus Powell. His quote was something like: "I don't want
to know about other teams, I want to play here". He presumably passed on other free agent offers
to come to Seattle.
Apparently he wants to be a legion of boomer. If he doesn't make it here I'm sure someone will
snap him up. I don't think we will ever get him onto the practice squad.