The What's Wrong With Russell Wilson Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Largent80

Reaction score
Superfan?....so someone is a superfan if they are happy with winning?...If so, count me IN.

All the coaches and Russell himself said they deliberately dialed it back in the 2nd half. What more do you need...Moses to come down and shoot fire and brimstone on your ass?

When Russ needed a big play, he audibled for the Baldwin catch. I would say there is not a thing wrong with anything except people calling people superfans or any other derogatory remark. It is also against the rules around here.

ceej22

Reaction score
As many others have pointed out we have faced top defenses in the league recently but that only accounts for part of it so I won't stress to much on that. I will also give him a pass for Sunday's game. The weather was horrible and clearly impacting player performance on both teams. Players with far more experience than Wilson struggled including a HOF QB.

To me it comes down to 3 things.

1) Defenses learning to game plan vs his strengths and Wilson is struggling making adjustments.

2) Our WRs while good are overrated among Seattle fans and do not create consistent separation. This makes it even more critical that the pass is perfect. I know this isn't a popular opinion but how many times do you see one of our WRs with 3-5 yards separation on a post route? Tate's long TDs are a result of Wilson throwing it short so he can come back as the DB runs by. Again no separation other than by design.

3) Wilson has never been under this type of pressure and regardless of his training and poise it's a lot to handle. I think for the most part he is handling it well and making big plays when they are needed but the consistency is lacking.

plyka

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":6xhrkb81 said:
He can't complete passes over the middle. He's now the worst in the NFL at that stat with Rice gone.

I can buy short QB or short WR... but short QB + all short WR's is rough.

Never thought I'd be missing Sidney Rice so much, but man --- that 6'3+ wide reciever is almost a necessity in today's NFL.

I completely agree. I was the one saying that Rice was a better WRs than Tate and would get blasted for it. The reason is that Tate is not a true WR, he is a hybrid. You can just see the difference by watching them make a catch. Rice has the intangibles of a WR, Tate does not. And it is being missed greatly. Baldwin is closer to a WR, but still not a true WR.

When i think of a true WR, I'm thinking of players with great body control, that can fight with their HANDS in order to create space, that can position their body correctly (between the ball and the defender), that CATCH THE BALL AWAY FROM THEIR BODY WITH THEIR HANDS, and have those beauty extensions with the toe taps.

Watch the catch at 2:11 and 2:40 --the first is the extension with the toe tap, the 2nd is the most impressive where the ball is thrown behind him but he can still make the catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGBhgJ76wPU

Now this is all in Minnisota, no one is saying that he is still THIS GOOD or was the last year or two. I'm not even saying that the offensive woes are all due to missing Sidney (or even a majority). But I am saying that a true WR is a NECESSITY for this team, and right now it lacks one. In order to make up for it, the team needs to make use of their TEs. Both of them have good hands and are very large. But they can't get separation, which means the only way you can take advantage of the TEs is to "throw them open." I remember earlier in the year I was hoping for a Gonzales trade. Man, he would be the difference right now.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Largent80":1dooadsr said:
Superfan?....so someone is a superfan if they are happy with winning?...If so, count me IN.

All the coaches and Russell himself said they deliberately dialed it back in the 2nd half. What more do you need...Moses to come down and shoot fire and brimstone on your ass?

When Russ needed a big play, he audibled for the Baldwin catch. I would say there is not a thing wrong with anything except people calling people superfans or any other derogatory remark. It is also against the rules around here.

I am not aware of any rule banning the term "superfan," which I used in response to this statement:

"What is wrong?....NOTHING."

That is a simplistic view that in my opinion demonstrates an unwillingness to engage in critical thinking about what is being seen on the field, and is unfairly critical of those that want to discuss it. Complete and utter stiffing of DISCUSSION. To me, that is the behavior of a superfan. Questions such as "Can the Seahawk offense effectively pass the ball against the 49ers, and if not, can they still win the game?" are fair questions if you are interested in discussing such things.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lcfj3qs said:
Largent80":3lcfj3qs said:
Overanylizing. We just advanced to the title game, anyone notice?

What is wrong?....NOTHING.

LOL, it's a fan's nature to dwell on the negative.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with Russell, other than just pressing and over thinking a little. Too much separation in the preparation, sometimes a QB just needs to get a little Favre in him and just go with it, instead of worrying about whether he's making the PERFECT choice during the play.

Probably one of the most accurate posts we've seen around here in a while.

Someone else, I don't know who, said something along the lines of "Russ is throwing the ball when he only feels 100% super confident that a receiver is wide open" and I think that is fitting. He threw a few slants off his drop, finally, against Nola but was off target. Once he just relaxes and plays catch instead of trying to make every play perfect, all will be well.

NFLFan45

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1zr04oy3 said:
Largent80":1zr04oy3 said:

I am not aware of any rule banning the term "superfan," which I used in response to this statement:

"What is wrong?....NOTHING."

That is a simplistic view that in my opinion demonstrates an unwillingness to engage in critical thinking about what is being seen on the field, and is unfairly critical of those that want to discuss it. Complete and utter stiffing of DISCUSSION. To me, that is the behavior of a superfan. Questions such as "Can the Seahawk offense effectively pass the ball against the 49ers, and if not, can they still win the game?" are fair questions if you are interested in discussing such things.

He's obviously NOT interested in discussing those things. That's OK. But why knock the people that do?

NFLFan45

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3sbjfgvx said:
Sgt. Largent":3sbjfgvx said:
Largent80":3sbjfgvx said:

LOL, it's a fan's nature to dwell on the negative.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with Russell, other than just pressing and over thinking a little. Too much separation in the preparation, sometimes a QB just needs to get a little Favre in him and just go with it, instead of worrying about whether he's making the PERFECT choice during the play.

Probably one of the most accurate posts we've seen around here in a while.

Someone else, I don't know who, said something along the lines of "Russ is throwing the ball when he only feels 100% super confident that a receiver is wide open" and I think that is fitting. He threw a few slants off his drop, finally, against Nola but was off target. Once he just relaxes and plays catch instead of trying to make every play perfect, all will be well.

Love that AV bro. A lot of "Baghdad Bob's" around here.

And I'm not saying there IS anything wrong. But this thread is to discuss if there is or not. The "Baghdad Bobs" poke their heads in and wonder why in the hell anyone would ever want to approach having anything resembling a discussion about any perceived problems.

Anthony!

Reaction score
okay this pretty much sums it up, and this is one of several posts saying this

"“I think he’s doing great,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. “I think he’s doing what we need to do in these games. We can always do better. He’s very concerned about leading us in the way that keeps our philosophy intact, which is take care of the football and he’s done a great job of that and he’s done that all year long. We’re always looking for more and he is, too, and all that."

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcbqc?utm_ ... e-seahawks

"“I think he’s doing great. I think he’s doing what we need to do in these games. We can always do better,” Carroll said. “We’re always looking for more and he is too and all that. But as long as our football team is playing well and we’re playing within the formula and we’re playing good defense, we’re running the football, we’re playing on teams, and we’re taking care of the ball and getting it, we’re going to have a really good chance to win and that’s what’s most important to us.”"

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/pete-car ... ip-numbers

That says it, the game plan is mistake free, conservative football, which means Rw wil not get enough passes to get into a rhythm and there fore he will be a little less on target, add to that WR separation, an increase in drops, o-line, play calling and there you go. I Mean in games were he gets over 20 attempts he has a comp % of 68% in games were under 20 55% there you go.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
bemads":1n2fk9iy said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/3637/3637

“If we keep taking care of the football, it will give us our chance to get the wins,” Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. “We would like to make it easier and see the yards there, but as long as we’re playing within the formula, then we’re OK.”

Carroll thinks people are making too much out of the team’s lack of explosiveness on offense. And he has no problems with Wilson’s performance.

“He’s doing what we need to do in these games,” Carroll said. “We can always do better, but he’s very concerned about leading us in the way that keeps our philosophy intact, which is take care of the football. He’s done a great job of that, and he’s done that all year long.”

That pretty much defines and settles any discussion.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
So the lack of accuracy and not seeing wide open receivers is by design. Perfect! Nothing wrong at all here.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
No, I still have concerns about the way our passing game is constructed and implemented. Pete just confirmed the approach and expectations of Russ.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Does Pete ever say anything critical in public? The Clink could be on fire and he'd praise the ambience.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":300tftg4 said:
bemads":300tftg4 said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/3637/3637

“If we keep taking care of the football, it will give us our chance to get the wins,” Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. “We would like to make it easier and see the yards there, but as long as we’re playing within the formula, then we’re OK.”

Carroll thinks people are making too much out of the team’s lack of explosiveness on offense. And he has no problems with Wilson’s performance.

“He’s doing what we need to do in these games,” Carroll said. “We can always do better, but he’s very concerned about leading us in the way that keeps our philosophy intact, which is take care of the football. He’s done a great job of that, and he’s done that all year long.”

That pretty much defines and settles any discussion.

That is certainly a very interesting and relevant point from the head coach. I'm sure some think it's taboo to disagree with him. I don't think his statement ends the ability of reasonable people to discuss the way the offense played. But clearly, the plan worked and they held the lead, and thank god for that.

The fact is that the first five possessions of the second half produced three three-and-outs, five punts and a total of 52 yards of offense. I don't think that is a good thing. Even in a win.

Will that kind of offense get it done against the 49ers? What happens if the Seahawks get behind in the game? Could the offense bring them back from 10 or 14 down the way they are currently playing should it become necessary? All fair questions in my opinion. And of course I realize that the offense would be different if they were playing from behind. But that is why we all get on this website...to talk Seahawk football.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
MysterMatt":ufr8mb4h said:
Does Pete ever say anything critical in public? The Clink could be on fire and he'd praise the ambience.

Discussion: Impossible.

CANHawk

Reaction score
NFLFan45":2j3c92t3 said:
CANHawk":2j3c92t3 said:
Missing_Clink":2j3c92t3 said:
Largent80":2j3c92t3 said:

Pretty ridiculous to suggest that one should never be critical (or even analytical?) just because the team won the game. Give me a break superfan

No... we've won 14 games this year. I think our team has earned a little bit of faith from the fanbase. The amount of pessimism on this board lately is disturbing and frankly, a 10 page thread about "what's wrong with Russell Wilson" is downright embarassing.

Interesting.

So the Hawks have won 14 games this year. So Hawks fans should ignore any concerns they have and not discuss any of those issues with other Hawks fans on a message board.

Well, If/When the Hawks get matched up with the Broncos in the Super Bowl, both teams will have won 15 games at that point, i'm sure you won't try to break down any perceived weaknesses of the Broncos because, you know, they won 15 games and therefore are immune to any type of analysis. Oh wait. That's different right, cause that isn't your favorite team, so their success and winning 15 games won't mean as much and the issues or weaknesses that team has will be and should be pointed out and broken down constantly in an effort to show how the Hawks will beat them.

Have all the faith you want. Some folks are more analytical by nature than others.

Also, yes they have earned having faith that they will win, but that doesn't mean people should ignore any issues they feel like the team has.

Sorry, but who the hell are you again? I'M JIMMY! :th2thumbs:

No, there's discussing and analyzing and being concerned about deficiencies, then there's whatever the hell you people are doing.

How about Marshawn. Let's talk about him. He had a few games there where it looked like he was on the decline. He didn't put up a 100 yard game for what, a month? Month and a half? "OH NOEZ! WHUTS RONG WIT MURSHAWN!?" the people would complain whilst wringing hands and gnashing teeth. "WEER DOOMERD!" the pessimistic would snivvel. But what happened when we needed him in the playoffs? He hung a $1.40 on the Saints and carried his offense to a victory. No worries Boss. I got dis.

So, with this precident already being served on our own team, the same people are again ready to lie down and convulse in a pool of ytheir own self pitty about how we're all doomed because Russell Wilson maybe hasn't looked exactly like 2 time Pro Bowl selection Russell Wilson over the last month. "OH NOEZ! WHUT RONG WIT RUSSULL!? WEER DOOMERLATED! JUST GIV UM DA TROPHEE NOW! I SO SAAAAAD. :cry: " the same god damn people are snivveling (Well, same people plus some new guy who doesn't know who Jimmy is). Dude, that's not being analytical, that's being a manic depressive. That sounds, to me, like complete and total horse shit. Grow some testicles!!

Fact of the matter is that we have had SF's number for the past 3 years and if not for a fluky run in the final minutes, we would have beat them in their house this year too. They heven't changed, they're the same damn 53 guys doing the dame damn thing they've always done. I don't see ANY reasons to believe they're going to come up here now and beat us in our own house. To think they're going to come up here and hoist the NFC championship trophy right in the middle of our lawn is outright preposterous.

But hey. YOOZ GON KEEPS IT REAL! Aiight. Have fun with that. Crying yourself to sleep in the fetal position has theraputic bennefits I'm told... if your goal is to grow a vagina that is. I for one am going to enjoy the lead up to this monumental game all week and will bask in the glory of it all once we emerge victorious!

Germanotta

Reaction score
I think Wilson needs to work on stepping up in the pocket instead of trying to escape lateral at times.

The slant routes were good calls but just wasn't executed due to accuracy and drops.

Also, can anyone explain why for the past few games we have been running what appears to be the read option and Wilson has space to keep the ball for a great gain but he just gives it to lynch? He always does a great job getting down and not taking unnecessary hits so it seems strange that he no longer takes it.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Is there anything new that can be added to this discussion at this point?

I was down as much as anyone on RW’s recent performances but “Tell the truth Monday” is over.

He watches film more than any of us and I can guarantee he’s aware, and working on not making the same mistakes twice.

I have a good feeling that he will come up big this weekend, with or without Percy. He’s going make that clutch throw when we need him to.

This is what the season has come down to at this point. We are in the NFCCG!! You think RW is going to squander this championship opportunity?

I feel like the only way we lose this weekend is if the 9ers are aided by the refs or if penalties put us in 3rd and long situations.

RW will be fine.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":ro3j5lby said:
MysterMatt":ro3j5lby said:

Discussion: Impossible.
Oh, please...there's plenty of discussion to be had.

What I'm saying is that Pete is well known as the eternal optimist and is rarely specific with any kind of criticism. That is a valid point. So when you post a quote from him wherein he is very positive an upbeat about what seems to be several weeks of pretty mediocre play from the QB position (and offensive execution in general), it's fair to suggest that he's not being completely frank. In other words, I don't accept his comments as being the settlement of the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.