The What's Wrong With Russell Wilson Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

smerfy01

Reaction score
There's a lot going on that i've noticed since Rice went out.

1. Receivers aren't getting separation. We see it on the slants, we see it on the designed bootlegs, we see it on the play action passes for deep plays. Russel holding the ball, looking downfield and either running it back to the line of scrimmage/throwing it away or taking a coverage sack.

2. The playcalling hasn't facilitated getting Russel Wilson into a rhythm. What do I mean by that? How many hot reads do we have? Short passes? Screens? We ran a lot of slot plays on 3rd down today, but we've been lacking in the short-intermediate passing game the last half of the season and defenses have been exploiting this.

3. In the case of this game, we did very little passing except on 3rd down and the occasional 1st or 2nd. Throughout the 3rd quarter and into the 4th, the playcalling gave Wilson no ability to get into a throwing rhythm.

4. We aren't utilizing our Tight Ends in the middle of the field. Miller and Willson are targeted maybe 3 times tops in the game, which allows the secondary to cheat their coverage on our WRs. We're not exploiting the open space in the middle of the field and we haven't all year.

5. We're a run-first offense right now. We have been all season. Sometimes quarterbacks need a game where the team needs them to throw in order to get back into a season rhythm. Wilson hasn't had that since the game against the Bucs probably.

6. Wilson has taken far too many hits this season. He's keeping his hands up on read-option plays, so he gets decked by the spy. Receivers aren't separating so coverage sacks are a problem. We've had offensive line issues all season. He does not feel comfortable in the pocket and I don't blame him.

7. Bevell in this game made very few adjustments to what the Saints defense was giving them in the 3rd quarter. A majority of Wilson's passes were OOB when no one was open, or it was to a slot receiver. No screens, no checkdowns to Lynch in the flat, nothing to keep the Saints secondary honest.

All of these points lead me to believe that there is something wrong scheme-wise with what we are doing in our passing game. It's become very predictable and pedestrian. 3rd down? slot. Play action bootleg? looking for the long ball. TE's are extra blockers and not a threat to coverage most of the game. Our WRs have difficulty separating from DBs. We're not spreading the ball out as much as we should and need to.

We had a balanced attack for about 3 weeks on offense. It involved everyone getting involved. Tate, Baldwin, Miller, Kearse, Rice. Rice gave the other receivers that needed separation because he commanded attention on the field due to his size, speed and athleticism. Harvin gave us that in the 1st half. Without throwing our offensive playbook in the trash, we need that Harvin/Rice level receiver to command some attention and force the secondary to gameplan around that, instead of Tate and Baldwin. They are not, nor will they ever be, #1 receivers. They are utility receivers that are great in space.

So it's an amalgamation of a lot of things that is hampering Wilson's efficiency. At least he's not turning the ball over...

lobohawk

Reaction score
smerfy01":1m1ve14k said:

1. Receivers aren't getting separation. We see it on the slants, we see it on the designed bootlegs, we see it on the play action passes for deep plays. Russel holding the ball, looking downfield and either running it back to the line of scrimmage/throwing it away or taking a coverage sack.

2. The playcalling hasn't facilitated getting Russel Wilson into a rhythm. What do I mean by that? How many hot reads do we have? Short passes? Screens? We ran a lot of slot plays on 3rd down today, but we've been lacking in the short-intermediate passing game the last half of the season and defenses have been exploiting this.

3. In the case of this game, we did very little passing except on 3rd down and the occasional 1st or 2nd. Throughout the 3rd quarter and into the 4th, the playcalling gave Wilson no ability to get into a throwing rhythm.

4. We aren't utilizing our Tight Ends in the middle of the field. Miller and Willson are targeted maybe 3 times tops in the game, which allows the secondary to cheat their coverage on our WRs. We're not exploiting the open space in the middle of the field and we haven't all year.

5. We're a run-first offense right now. We have been all season. Sometimes quarterbacks need a game where the team needs them to throw in order to get back into a season rhythm. Wilson hasn't had that since the game against the Bucs probably.

6. Wilson has taken far too many hits this season. He's keeping his hands up on read-option plays, so he gets decked by the spy. Receivers aren't separating so coverage sacks are a problem. We've had offensive line issues all season. He does not feel comfortable in the pocket and I don't blame him.

7. Bevell in this game made very few adjustments to what the Saints defense was giving them in the 3rd quarter. A majority of Wilson's passes were OOB when no one was open, or it was to a slot receiver. No screens, no checkdowns to Lynch in the flat, nothing to keep the Saints secondary honest.

All of these points lead me to believe that there is something wrong scheme-wise with what we are doing in our passing game. It's become very predictable and pedestrian. 3rd down? slot. Play action bootleg? looking for the long ball. TE's are extra blockers and not a threat to coverage most of the game. Our WRs have difficulty separating from DBs. We're not spreading the ball out as much as we should and need to.

We had a balanced attack for about 3 weeks on offense. It involved everyone getting involved. Tate, Baldwin, Miller, Kearse, Rice. Rice gave the other receivers that needed separation because he commanded attention on the field due to his size, speed and athleticism. Harvin gave us that in the 1st half. Without throwing our offensive playbook in the trash, we need that Harvin/Rice level receiver to command some attention and force the secondary to gameplan around that, instead of Tate and Baldwin. They are not, nor will they ever be, #1 receivers. They are utility receivers that are great in space.

So it's an amalgamation of a lot of things that is hampering Wilson's efficiency. At least he's not turning the ball over...

Best description yet. All this with the fact that Wilson's number of attempts are low and he often is throwing in critical down situations, thus all his incompletions seem magnified. How hard must it be for a QB to pass so rarely, yet be able to make that completion when finally asked to throw (the rhythm thing).

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow, there are some really good responses in here. I would add:

1. Luke Willson not being up to par

2. Zach Miller didn't seem to be running many patterns.

3. Cameron Jordan is an absolute Beast! Why was Kellen Davis blocking him? Dumb.

4. 30 MPH Winds and Wet Ball, Wet Field.

5. Percy Harvin out. We really need a game breaker to make our average receivers (and running game) more effective and when he was in, there was a notable difference.

6. New Orleans Saints have the #4 Defense, including the #2 Passing Defense.

7. I like the point several made about a QB needing to get in to a rhythym. Even Drew Brees struggled to get in to a rhythm Saturday, but when he did it was noticeable.

scifly

Reaction score
Maybe more competition at QB is needed during camp, he's had it too easy with TJ at back up.

Bux005

Reaction score
davidonmi":3ney054r said:
Diezel Dawg":3ney054r said:
jewhawk":3ney054r said:
Our offense ran 42 plays on 1st and 2nd downs. Only nine of those were passing attempts, and two of those passing attempts were screens. There were also two QB scrambles and two sacks (for 0 and -1 yards). You can't hand the ball off on 29 of 42 plays on 1st and 2nd downs and expect your QB to be able to get into any kind of rhythm.

Bingo. Brees got I to a rhythm because they started throwing. I that is part of Russells problem is no rhythm for lack of pass attempts. He only threw 18 times. I think Russell needs between 25-30 attempts to be more efficient. That all goes on to Bevells head
this is another thing I think about when russell is struggling. We didn't need to pass it today but if we do I'll be interested to see how rhythm helps RW.
the offensive struggles are IMO
40% Bevell
30% RW
30% WR's

Good posts. I also would like to point out that we have the least amount of 1st downs out of every team in the playoffs, even the teams that lost:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs

Yeah, we rely on our defense more than most but I don't think we can get away with that kind of an offensive performance again. I would just like a little unpredictability and in-game adjustments to the offense. We have the ability to run a very good offense so it kind of baffles me that we have regressed. The 3 and outs are so hard to watch. I really hope we improve next week and have some better weather as well. This is the best team in the NFL, not a doubt in my mind. I'm a little concerned now that we may beat ourselves.
I am gonna try and convince myself before next weekend that it was just the weather. Right?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Offense looked much better with Harvin in which leads me to believe our wr's just don't get open. Harvin plays and magically the offense looks good against the #4 defense. We need Harvin...

Hawksfan76

Reaction score
Although Russell isn't playing great I think with our great defense both he and our coaching staff are playing to not turnover the ball. no stupid mistakes to hand the other team easy chances. they want to let our defense win the game. if we get behind then Russell's passing stats will go up. we are playing it safe on offense and letting our defense make the plays. sure i'd like to see Russell throw for 3 td's and 300 yards but as long as we win then it don't matter. we are playing to our strengths and that's our defense.

Beachie

Reaction score
They said the same thing about Kaepernick earlier this year - hesitant to run, doesn't pull the trigger on open receivers, doesn't trust anyone to get open , misses reads, etc. He overcame that. So can Wilson.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
austinslater25":3u2py538 said:
Offense looked much better with Harvin in which leads me to believe our wr's just don't get open. Harvin plays and magically the offense looks good against the #4 defense. We need Harvin...

I don't know about that...I think Wilson doesn't pull the trigger on tighter windows more than it is that our guys just don't get open. Whether that's Wilson's comfort level or Carroll has drilled that into him, who can say?

Legion12Boom

Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with Russell Wilson, look at the defense's he's had to play against over the last month an a half. Now were in the playoffs so were going to get the other teams best game, they have nothing to lose. I don't think the problem lies with RW3, it's with Darrell Bevell. You can't tell me that you weren't ready to rip your hair out at certain points of the game yesterday because of the play calling? I was cursing at me tv at points cause of the play calling. Anyways, this is an easy fix, so let's hope this issue will be resolved by next weekend. 49ers/Panthers starts in about 25 mins, I think will be ready for either of them.

Go Hawks!!!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I can't tell about the playcalling really. I can call a mean set of plays on Madden, but that's about it.

I have a harder time being critical of Bevell because I really don't know how to evaluate some of this stuff. For example, there were plays that would have worked yesterday, but were down to execution on the part of the QB/WRs. That would indicate that Bevell called an alright game.

Also, I think the buck stops with Pete Carroll, who has a pretty clear idea of what he wants from this team (explosive plays, no turnovers), and which seems to mirror the types of plays Bevell has tended to call this year (all long routes at some times, conservative calls at others).

Ozzy

Reaction score
Tim Hasselbeck broke down tape and said what I and others have been saying. The receivers flat out don't get separation. Its hard to pull the trigger if every time you have to throw a perfect ball. I love Baldwin and Tate but they work best in tandem with a legit #1. I think Harvin provides that. The defense has to put extra help on him which allows Baldwin and Tate to do their thing getting open underneath and Baldwin working in the slot.

Harvin solves a lot of problems directly and indirectly. Pete and John knew what they were doing when they went out and got Harvin and I think we saw a little bit of that early in the game.

Has Wilson played great? Obviously not. He's missed multiple throws and he had a guy wide open down the middle of the field and didnt pull the trigger. He's human and is capbable of playing much better. I get why people are worried. Where is the guy who threw for 380 and ran for 80 against the Falcons? We know he's capable and they are smart enough to figure this out. I think the line played well enough so that wasn't the issue. Bevell is horribly predictable at times and that hurts them too. He would probably argue he's limited by his personnel but regardless he needs to get creative.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
This thread is chock-full of stupid. How easy do some of you mouth breathers think it is to develop a rhythm passing in rain and 35 mph gusting wind with only 18 attempts against a top 5 defense?

General Manager

Reaction score
I will say this the Hawks can't count on Lynch to carry the Offense against SF they have to be able to make plays in the passing game.

NFLFan45

Reaction score
"49ers established in 1946, took till the 80's to win their first Ring, you would think they came into the league wearing those by listening to the fans"

I hate the 9ers as much as anyone, but how does this sig make any sense whatsoever??

The Niners were established in 1946. They went to and won their first super bowl in 1981 taking 35 years to get it done.

I get the "5 rings" getting annoying and all I just don't see how pointing out that it took them 35 years to get their first ring is some kind of slam coming from Hawks fans when the Hawks when it took the Hawks 29 years (a whopping 6 year difference) to get to a super bowl and they didn't win it.

The Hawks are on year 38 of their existence and haven't won a ring yet. And if or when they do this year, it still took them 3 years longer to get theirs than it did SF.

So how is that sig any kind of legitimate slam against SF?

Just had to point that out. When I read that sig I laughed, cause it really makes no sense.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
NFLFan45":46vy95zu said:
"49ers established in 1946, took till the 80's to win their first Ring, you would think they came into the league wearing those by listening to the fans"

I hate the 9ers as much as anyone, but how does this sig make any sense whatsoever??

The Niners were established in 1946. They went to and won their first super bowl in 1981 taking 35 years to get it done.

I get the "5 rings" getting annoying and all I just don't see how pointing out that it took them 35 years to get their first ring is some kind of slam coming from Hawks fans when the Hawks when it took the Hawks 29 years (a whopping 6 year difference) to get to a super bowl and they didn't win it.

The Hawks are on year 38 of their existence and haven't won a ring yet. And if or when they do this year, it still took them 3 years longer to get theirs than it did SF.

So how is that sig any kind of legitimate slam against SF?

Just had to point that out. When I read that sig I laughed, cause it really makes no sense.

Troll alert!!! Mods? Ban Hammer please. Thanks. :49ersmall:

Anthony!

Reaction score
smerfy01":1krwi9sg said:

Great post spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts