The What's Wrong With Bevell Thread

plyka

Reaction score
Smellyman":31ldiqxt said:
nothing. It's how Pete wants to play

Thank god someone else but me finally says this. Pete and Wilson both admitted it in the post game.

I believe Pete is defensive minded and bevell is a yes man. Horrible mix. This also explains how the hawks have a tendency to start slow. They don't want to take risks.

At USC Pete had great offensive minds. Norm choi and sark. These are great offensive minds and big personalities. I believe that they engender confidence in Pete. Pete then loosens the leash a bit. Bevell simply is not the same.

Don't worry when the hawks fall behind by 14 points you'll see bevell and Wilson let loose and you will see an awesome offense.

plyka

Reaction score
storm74":29fkfwg7 said:
I think he is a great architect of plays, and a idiot play caller. He does not adjust to the game being played. His understanding of game clock management is that of a 2 year old child. The receiver routes are too deep almost every pass play. He forgets that we have tight ends on third down. His love for the empty backfield on third and short makes me puke in my mouth. Bevell doesn't exploit weaknesses of a defense, he tries to exploit the strength of the defense with plays that obviously won't work. He takes one of the most physical downhill running backs in football, and runs him sideways. Make no mistake he is the weakness of this team and needs to be shown the door. If we lose on the way to the superbowl it will be because of him. Other hawk fans may say that players are at fault for playing poorly, I say you can't pound a square peg into a round hole no matter the effort.

The absolute worst was the 1st and goal from the three where lynch lost 6 yards and the hawks eventually settled for a FG. A huge possession right before half.

Lynch needs to understand that this is not a play from midfield where a six yard loss is not the end of the world. It's from the three on first down. Even if you gain nothing it's still 2nd from the three! You will get two or three more shots by running. If you lose 6 yards the run is eliminate from the play calling. It's is dire!

So why doesn't bevell and the coaches explain this to lynch? It's almost as if they don't explain strategy to their players. Just horrible.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
plyka":2cgksuuu said:
The absolute worst was the 1st and goal from the three where lynch lost 6 yards and the hawks eventually settled for a FG. A huge possession right before half.

Ah yes, that wonderful toss for negative yards that he thought would be a good decision on 3rd and 6 later in the game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Watch the Patriots. They change formations and looks practically every single snap, EVEN WHEN THEY RUN THREE TIMES IN A ROW.

We look the same. All the time. Defenses take one glance and go, "yep, run play" or "yep, passing play" with near-perfect accuracy.

That is entirely on the offensive coordinator. God, I want Bevell hired away somewhere. We make it so freaking easy for defenses to know what we're going to do, it's pathetic.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Things that piss me off about our gameplay:

NEVER GO DEEP ON FIRST DOWN
NEVER GO DEEP ON SECOND DOWN
EMPTY BACKFIELD ON 3RD AND 4

Congratulations on rushing for 170 yards, it's easy to gain 7 yards on 2nd and 10. How many of those turned into 1st downs?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":23vbm28f said:
plyka":23vbm28f said:

Ah yes, that wonderful toss for negative yards that he thought would be a good decision on 3rd and 6 later in the game.

All of a sudden we stop being a power run team when we get in goal to go situations? Now we get cute and rush Lynch to the outside?

I HATE Bevell.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Exactly.

He telegraphs plays.

Here is the circumstance:

We have no idea who we play next week. Our defense played so phenomenally it was one of the best playoff performances ever by our team (and many others). Yet are you at all feeling confident that we win next week?

Why not?

That is the problem.

We have so little confidence in our offense that we are worried we are going to lose to an imaginary opponent even knowing who we play, while at the same time we have one of the best defenses we have ever seen and will be playing AT HOME.

So yeah. That is because of him and he needs to step up, take chances and redeem himself.

Even worse is knowing this is the best team we will have in a while, because we are clearly going to lose a few guys after this year. Which means I am going to hate Bevell forever if he squanders our best chance at a SB because he is barely adequate at his job.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
plyka":1lavnz6d said:
Smellyman":1lavnz6d said:

Thank god someone else but me finally says this. Pete and Wilson both admitted it in the post game.

I believe Pete is defensive minded and bevell is a yes man. Horrible mix. This also explains how the hawks have a tendency to start slow. They don't want to take risks.

At USC Pete had great offensive minds. Norm choi and sark. These are great offensive minds and big personalities. I believe that they engender confidence in Pete. Pete then loosens the leash a bit. Bevell simply is not the same.

Don't worry when the hawks fall behind by 14 points you'll see bevell and Wilson let loose and you will see an awesome offense.
The problem with this thinking is that Wilson said he had to convince Bevell to call that 3rd and 3 pass to Baldwin the one that was a potential winner. I liked how Bevell called the zone read with Harvin open for the bubble screen. RW clearly missed that one. The Harvin end around was a staple in Minny as was the wr screens so nothing new for Bevell who did the same while in Minny. I hated the poorly designed slants he comes up with. Also hated that he called passing plays on obvious 3rd downs but then calls a pass play and bootleg in the final minutes of a game when we need to run clock?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":192odpad said:
plyka":192odpad said:
The absolute worst was the 1st and goal
RolandDeschain":192odpad said:
Watch the Patriots. They change formations and looks practically every single snap, EVEN WHEN THEY RUN THREE TIMES IN A ROW.

We look the same. All the time. Defense's take one glance and go, "yep, run play" or "yep, passing play" with near-perfect accuracy.

That is entirely on the offensive coordinator. God, I want Bevell hired away somewhere. We make it so freaking easy for defenses to know what we're going to do, it's pathetic.
^ This. Thank you.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1qnowmhk said:
Same Stuff I Said Was WRong After Houston And GOt Flamed Over

There ya go. I got flamed too. But you know what? We WIN. And you know what else? We've outscored NO, SF and Carolina over the course of the season with very few dominant offensive performances and a LOT of wtf is wrong with our offense performances all year long.

That sputtering offense puts up more points than any of the four NFC teams that were left going into today.

And our defense allowed less points than any of them.

And the game will be in OUR HOUSE.

So how bad can Bevell really be?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":17c55tp3 said:
plyka":17c55tp3 said:

But I do think a fake toss would have netted big yards. The Saints read that play and were all over it but a miss direction play could have screwed them good. There must be a good reason why Russell isn't running the ball with authority any more.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Just saw on the ticker that the Vikes have apparently moved past Bevel and Quinn. Maybe they just wanted to screw with us after all. I also wonder if interest in that job had an affect on how Bevel called this game? I mean if you want the Vikes HC job you probably want to show AP that you are going to run the ball right? Just spitballing though. Ugly as it was his game plan did win the game.

plyka

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":21v79fj4 said:
plyka":21v79fj4 said:
Smellyman":21v79fj4 said:

The problem with this thinking is that Wilson said he had to convince Bevell to call that 3rd and 3 pass to Baldwin the one that was a potential winner. I liked how Bevell called the zone read with Harvin open for the bubble screen. RW clearly missed that one. The Harvin end around was a staple in Minny as was the wr screens so nothing new for Bevell who did the same while in Minny. I hated the poorly designed slants he comes up with. Also hated that he called passing plays on obvious 3rd downs but then calls a pass play and bootleg in the final minutes of a game when we need to run clock?

I'm not saying bevell is a good OC, I think he is atrocious. But I think some of his ineptness has to be attributed to the ideology of Pete. An I don't even blame Pete/ he is a defensive minded coach. It's up to the OC to fight for putting more trust in the offense.

Bevell is unfortunately a yes man. Even when they take risks they are bad calls.

Seahawks fans should thank the football gods this is the best defense on the nfl for at least the last five years. With an average defense this is a 500 ball club.

Anthony!

Reaction score
As mush as I hate saying it, because I think the play calling is our biggest issue on offense, both Rw and PC both said in their interviews they came out in the 2nd have very conservative, and RW had to plead to try the one to Baldwin. So it appears once we get a lead we can count on a very conservative offense as of now.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Absolut, let's make a fan club where the only requirement to join is you have to be on record as disliking Bevell's play calling before it was cool. :)

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3a3bv15m said:
Absolut, let's make a fan club where the only requirement to join is you have to be on record as disliking Bevell's play calling before it was cool. :)

Im also a somewhat big vikings fan. Live in the PNW but the Seahawks and Vikings are my 1a and 1b teams, I love them both. I hated Bevell before he was even on the Seahawks :) Having said that we could have Musgrave who is 10X worse than Bevell haha.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
plyka":3jawt7s0 said:
I'm not saying bevell is a good OC, I think he is atrocious. But I think some of his ineptness has to be attributed to the ideology of Pete. An I don't even blame Pete/ he is a defensive minded coach. It's up to the OC to fight for putting more trust in the offense.

Bevell is unfortunately a yes man. Even when they take risks they are bad calls.

Seahawks fans should thank the football gods this is the best defense on the nfl for at least the last five years. With an average defense this is a 500 ball club.
Nope. His conservative playcalling tendencies were apparent even in Minnesota under Childress an offensive minded coach. In fact his philosophy of conservative playcalling goes back to his Badger years under Alvarez where he learned to be a great game manager quarterback and the running game was both option 1 and 2. His father was a coach probably with the same philosophy.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3s78kkz5 said:
plyka":3s78kkz5 said:
Smellyman":3s78kkz5 said:

Actually if you go back and look at the one screen RW kept on there was a NO player busting in right in were the flight of the ball would have had to be, so there was a chance it might have been an INT which is why he did not throw it.