The Seahawks released LB John Lotulelei

C-Dub

Reaction score
DavidSeven":20yu9sjr said:
Why did we lock the BJ Daniels thread for this one? Little help?
That's what I was wondering. Lock a thread about a Seahawk and keep one going that's about a Free Agent. Makes sense.
:sarcasm_off:

Didn't care for Lotu, but I had hopes that he'd make it to year two. However, I have no clue why Lotu was kept over Bradford. That guy had stud written all over him. Must have been special teams play or something.

C-Dub

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":jobjervt said:
I don't see T-Jack leaving here to go back up another rookie. If had the choice I believe he'd stay here. He did after all have a choice when released by Buffalo and he told his agent he wamted to come back to Seattle.

There is also one thing that I don't remember anyone bringing up is that this guy was released in favor of keeping Colt McCoy.
:13:

T-Jack knows he's on the downside of his career and has accepted it. He's stated that. If we're winning, I'll bet he'll want to stay. This team loves T-Jack and I'm stoked he's back. There were a lot of TJ haters on this forum.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":z17o7po1 said:
That's idiotic. He's whining about them keeping Spitz over Lotulelei, but that completely ignores the current O-line situation and the fact that Lotu was going to be gone when Bruce got added anyway.

Exactly.

Unfortunately he gives the impression he's inflexible or unwilling to admit an error in judgement. He makes a decision and then that's it. The Jacksonville display should've been a major eye opener on just how limited Lotu was.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I do like Lotu..a lot more than a lot of you. It's hard for me to criticize any JS/PC move because they have been better than anyone else in the league at personnel decision making over the last 4 years. Sure they have made mistakes, but they've been the best- hands down.

SirTed

Reaction score
A new take on the claiming of BJ Daniels:

RANSOM!!!!

Asking price?

Chris Harper!!!! :sherlock:

PNWJoshua

Reaction score
Brilliant move imo. TJ has a high trade value right now and RW is showing no signs of being...well i wont say it cause you just dont point out someone isn't something just to jinx them...

I think JS and PC like TJ and he deserves to make lots of money and have a shot somewhere else. If BJ can learn the system and be decent then we can get some value from trading TJ. I think we can get a couple mid to low round picks for TJ which is in the JS/PC wheel house in drafting!

As far as Lotulelei, i liked him, he was fearless but lacked the size. Also, our defense is stacked...I am waiting to hear who picks up him up...

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
PNWJoshua":3b0feiqf said:
TJ has a high trade value right now

Does anyone really believe this?

We're talking about a guy who turns 31 next April, who has done very little in his time as a starter, couldn't beat out a bunch of nobody's in Buffalo and landed comfortably back in Seattle to be our backup.

He has zero trade value. If a guy like Josh Freeman can't get a gig, while younger guys like Ryan Mallett and Nick Foles also ride the bench, Jackson isn't going to generate anything on the market.

The Daniels thing for me is about this team seeing something in a guy during the draft process and wanting to take a closer look. They can work him out a little, see if he's worth keeping around. He'll become another Josh Portis style project. If he really does well then maybe he acts as a cost effective backup in the future? Or maybe they cut him in two weeks and that's that.

All the while they get to wind up the 49ers a little.

sutz

Reaction score
I think this may be a 'futures' move. If (big IF maybe) Russ Wilson is a trend setter QB, more teams will be looking for 'clones' of him in the near future: mobile, makes all the throws, small by past standards but can play the game.

In a year or two, BJD might be worth more than a very late round pick. Maybe we could turn him into a 3rd or 4th (maybe a 2nd? :)).

Assuming he pans out, of course.

PNWJoshua

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":6oybogak said:
PNWJoshua":6oybogak said:

I wouldn't base TJ's being released by Buffalo as a knock on him. They totally revamped their coaching staff and TJ did not fit in with their program. Its not like he was there for a long time and was released on the merit of his work. He was released before fall camp and preseason.

He had a great preseason here and really didn't do badly two years ago with us. Lets not forget he was playing injured that entire season...

I think absolutely TJ has a high trade value right now. Not first round value but like i said, two mid to late round picks.

Who has more value in the market...BJ or TJ or Lutulelei? TJ hands down...If BJ can step in and be adequate in practice (make PC/JS feel like he could step in and maintain possession if needed) then why not cash in TJ now? Like you said, not like TJ is getting any younger...More on that note...If we keep TJ for next year, how much is that going to cost compared to BJ?

SirTed

Reaction score
PNWJoshua":1kxuo3if said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1kxuo3if said:
PNWJoshua":1kxuo3if said:

I wouldn't base TJ's being released by Buffalo as a knock on him. They totally revamped their coaching staff and TJ did not fit in with their program. Its not like he was there for a long time and was released on the merit of his work. He was released before fall camp and preseason.

He had a great preseason here and really didn't do badly two years ago with us. Lets not forget he was playing injured that entire season...

I think absolutely TJ has a high trade value right now. Not first round value but like i said, two mid to late round picks.

Who has more value in the market...BJ or TJ or Lutulelei? TJ hands down...If BJ can step in and be adequate in practice (make PC/JS feel like he could step in and maintain possession if needed) then why not cash in TJ now? Like you said, not like TJ is getting any younger...More on that note...If we keep TJ for next year, how much is that going to cost compared to BJ?

No way.

1. If BJ was capable of being a quality backup, then why would the 9ers release him in favor of John freakin' Skelton. Have you seen that dude? Horrible. Obviously they liked Daniels but they got caught being cute with him. Same with us and Harper.

2. John Lutulelei - LOL. I swear people just see the hair, the Samoan thing and relate Lofa and Troy.

3. I like TJack, we all do. But he really doesn't have any value. As stated - Josh Freeman can be had for pennies. And while I'm glad to have him back, I'm not sure it was a "system fit" problem in Buffalo. He's not that far off from Manuel in capabilities, body type. I think they just didn't value him based on league wide perception (accurate or not)

PNWJoshua

Reaction score
Freeman? Really? Who really knows what is going on down there in tampa? Besides, he has lots of playing time and everyone knows what he brings to the table....TJ has more of an unkown to him. His upside has never been realized and what he has shown it looks like he could have a very high up side if given the chance. Similar thing to Flynn...had such a high upside that he was worth the risk to pay the money for him. There is no other back up quarterback in the league right now that would be more sought after than TJ right now when considering all the factors (money, ability, age, resume, experience, etc). Ok, there MIGHT be a couple but not many...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Throwdown":1ypyrnjq said:
lukerguy":1ypyrnjq said:
Do you think there's a chance BJ Daniels could be converted to a different position?

Nah, dudes a QB, no fatal flaw in game, only knocks are he's only 6'0, and went to USF.

...the knock on his accuracy, which I haven't seen personally (meaning: I haven't personally seen an issue with his accuracy) is as big if not bigger of a knock on him as those other two. 9ers media had been reporting through pre-season that similar to Nate Davis he had a couple solid quarters in pre-season, but his ball tended to be all over the place in practice on most days.

As for him being converted to a different position, I think that's possible too. The 9ers had him playing QB, WR, and working out on punt return duties. The hope at one point was that he could be a 3rd QB/jacknkife type of player that could contribute enough on ST to be suited up on game days.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SirTed":afe917im said:
1. If BJ was capable of being a quality backup, then why would the 9ers release him in favor of John freakin' Skelton. Have you seen that dude? Horrible. Obviously they liked Daniels but they got caught being cute with him. Same with us and Harper.

My read on what happened here:

1) The 9ers (rightly) didn't think that BJ is a capable #2 QB right now, but they were interested in trying to develop him into that role in the future.

2) BJ being cut and Skeleton being signed wasn't a comment on BJ (the #3 QB), it was a comment on McCoy (the #2 QB). The 9ers have been very unhappy with Colt in the #2 QB role. They made him restructure his contract (and according to Seneca Wallace they even temporarily signed Wallace a scheme just to get Colt to cut his cap number), and still aren't confident in him. Basically, the 9ers signed Skeleton to come in, learn the system, and allow them to cut Colt.

3) Their plan was: A) Cut BJ to make room for Skeleton. B) Sign Skeleton to eventually replace Colt McCoy this year. C) Stash BJ on the practice squad. D) Cut Colt when Skeleton got up to speed. E) Resign BJ to the 53 or leave him on the PS this year and go with 2 QBs on the 53.

It obviously broke down at step "C", but I'd bet serious money on this sequence being their intentions.

pehawk

Reaction score
Can we all give a shout-out to Popeye Jones here? Not sure how many remember one of my favorite NBA scrubs, but he's to the NBA All-Ugly team what Jordan is to NBA All-Time team.

I salute you, Popeye Jones! Great screen name.

SirTed

Reaction score
Popeyejones":c83qnc37 said:
SirTed":c83qnc37 said:

My read on what happened here:

1) The 9ers (rightly) didn't think that BJ is a capable #2 QB right now, but they were interested in trying to develop him into that role in the future.

2) BJ being cut and Skeleton being signed wasn't a comment on BJ (the #3 QB), it was a comment on McCoy (the #2 QB). The 9ers have been very unhappy with Colt in the #2 QB role. They made him restructure his contract (and according to Seneca Wallace they even temporarily signed Wallace a scheme just to get Colt to cut his cap number), and still aren't confident in him. Basically, the 9ers signed Skeleton to come in, learn the system, and allow them to cut Colt.

3) Their plan was: A) Cut BJ to make room for Skeleton. B) Sign Skeleton to eventually replace Colt McCoy this year. C) Stash BJ on the practice squad. D) Cut Colt when Skeleton got up to speed. E) Resign BJ to the 53 or leave him on the PS this year and go with 2 QBs on the 53.

It obviously broke down at step "C", but I'd bet serious money on this sequence being their intentions.

I don't disagree with this possibility at all.

My point was, I don't think the Hawks make this move with Daniels in mind as a back up this year, therefore trading TJack and his "high trade value".

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Oh yeah, sorry, 100% agreed with you on that.

Thanks, pehawk. :)

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
BJ is similiar height to Russ (both between 5'11"-6'0"), but slower (4.77 to 4.55 40's) and with significantly smaller hands (9" to 10.25"). I like the athleticism and game savvy, but admittedly, was a little disappointed to see this.

Is this comparable to buying a Nissan Pathfinder when you already have an Infiniti QX4? Same vehicle but lesser features?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":1v3pbpj8 said:
BJ is similiar height to Russ (both between 5'11"-6'0"), but slower (4.77 to 4.55 40's) and with significantly smaller hands (9" to 10.25"). I like the athleticism and game savvy, but admittedly, was a little disappointed to see this.

Is this comparable to buying a Nissan Pathfinder when you already have an Infiniti QX4? Same vehicle but lesser features?

Almost like having a backup vehicle?