Is there a LB in the draft comparable to Roquan Smith?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Just curious, I like Junior Colson, but haven't been following him enough to know if he's a Roquan-like LB.

Having a LB background, and seeing how Roquan revitalized Baltimore's D, I'm sure MM is meeting with JS and telling him he needs that kind of LB to make this defense take a step up.

bileever

Reaction score
I want a LB like Fred Warner. He's the gold standard now, I think. I like him a lot more than Roquan Smith.

But I don't know if there is an outstanding middle LB in this draft. The only LB projected to go in the first round is Dallas Turner, the Alabama LB, but he's an outside backer, not a Mike.

Chevy

Reaction score
There is a stud ILB in next years draft, not this year though.

12forlife

Reaction score
Cooper Texas A&m is pretty damn good.
Wallace, Colson, Gray, Wilson, and Trotter are all interesting prospects

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No one possesses a similar skillset. Roquan was a complete stud coming out.

Edgerrin Cooper is very similar athletically. Like, very very similar. He's not particularly similar to Roquan on the field, though. Roquan was savvy in coverage and used all of his athleticism (4.5 speed, very quick accelerator) in the coverage game. Edgerrin is much more comfortable playing north/south but has upside to get better in coverage.

For us, I really think it's Colson or bust. I think he's easily the best overall LB prospect in the draft for us, and I think he's going to be drafted higher than anyone expects given how weird this LB class is.

NFL-ready off ball LBs are disappearing due to the evolution of the college game. They're going to start becoming a hotter commodity due to that scarcity. We're already seeing box safety/big nickel dudes preemptively transitioning to ILB in the pre-draft process, such as James Williams out of Miami. Guys like Ronnie Harrison, who were big-body "lay the mf wood" prospects, have also made that transition.

Actually, James Williams? That might be a dude to keep an eye on at LB.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I still think Payton Wilson is still the best MLB in this draft class. Major injury concerns though.

12forlife

Reaction score

Edgerrin Cooper is very similar athletically. Like, very very similar. He's not particularly similar to Roquan on the field, though. Roquan was savvy in coverage and used all of his athleticism (4.5 speed, very quick accelerator) in the coverage game. Edgerrin is much more comfortable playing north/south but has upside to get better in coverage.

For us, I really think it's Colson or bust. I think he's easily the best overall LB prospect in the draft for us, and I think he's going to be drafted higher than anyone expects given how weird this LB class is.

NFL-ready off ball LBs are disappearing due to the evolution of the college game. They're going to start becoming a hotter commodity due to that scarcity. We're already seeing box safety/big nickel dudes preemptively transitioning to ILB in the pre-draft process, such as James Williams out of Miami. Guys like Ronnie Harrison, who were big-body "lay the mf wood" prospects, have also made that transition.

I like the idea of Williams, add 15-20lb and he might give of Warner vibes?
One I think is under the radar is Wallace from Kentucky check out some film on him. If in order I like Cooper, Colson, Wallace, Williams, Gray, Wilson (would be higher if not for injuries)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I like the idea of Williams, add 15-20lb and he might give of Warner vibes?
One I think is under the radar is Wallace from Kentucky check out some film on him. If in order I like Cooper, Colson, Wallace, Williams, Gray, Wilson (would be higher if not for injuries)
Williams is already up to 230. Roquan came in at 236, so he's already close. Williams is a bit taller, though. Probably has the frame to get to 240 or 245, which is a fine weight for today's ILBs I'd think.

Wallace ain't bad, yeah.

Griff on Twitter turned me onto Jaylan Ford out of Texas as a linebacker who does a lot of things we'd look for a LB to do here. 4th-5th round stock right now.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score

I really like Colson. When he hits, people go backwards. Love Trevin Wallace too. Can’t decide if I like Williams better as a safety of Lb. I worry about Wilson’s frame.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I doubt Seahawks will draft a LB before round 3. I’d rather have free agent Devin White.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score

I think you're right. Many teams behind us in the 1st could end up reaching on an LB (Packers, Rams, maybe Cardinals).

HOF Hater

Reaction score
Edgerrin Cooper has similar traits but Roquan has an elite mind which very few possess. Junior Colston is intriguing and could be a steal, if Wilson wasn't so injury prone he'd be a lock for best overall. Alot of decent to good talent at LB in this draft

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score

Colston...appears like he can step in day one, and set the tone .
I just have this feeling about Williams...hybrid LB / S and could be Kam 2.0