The Seahawks released LB John Lotulelei

The Outfield

Reaction score
Hopefully we'll have a blowout victory sometime soon so that we can see this kid play.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
They felt confident starting the season with 2 QB's. Now they don't feel as confident anymore so they went out and got a third QB. They know more about the state of our olinemens health than we do, but this says something to that imo.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The Outfield":238r97qt said:
Hopefully we'll have a blowout victory sometime soon so that we can see this kid play.

That would be Jackson. This kid ain't suiting up on game days and time soon.

The 9ers were hoping to stash him on the PS. Really, they were hoping to stash him on the PS after pre-season but then he messed around and played really well in a couple fourth quarters of pre-season and they got stuck having to roster him. Overall, he's supposed to be really inconsistent, but did get 9ers fans pretty excited against the other scrubs, and looked pretty good (was calling him nouveau nate for Nate Davis, but in all honesty, I liked what I saw from him).

Of course, I doubt he'll ever matter, but as far as #3 developmental QBs go, I'd rather have him than not.

Not a bad move for the Hawks, IMO. In the very least you guys can be pacified in knowing that no shortage of histrionic and silly 9er fans are pissed about it. Probably worth it for that alone. :)

(sidenote: I would also like some undeserved credit for doing what I'm supposed to do and not shrieking about how the Hawks must suck because they're picking up the 9ers scraps a la what happened when the 9ers picked up Chris Harper. :) )

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3mez6i2q said:
They felt confident starting the season with 2 QB's. Now they don't feel as confident anymore so they went out and got a third QB. They know more about the state of our olinemens health than we do, but this says something to that imo.

I don't think so. I think it was just an opportunity that presented itself. This kid was a guy they were looking to draft, albeit the 7th round, but they still liked him

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":36bs3ikz said:
Lotulelei was one of my least favorite 53 man roster makes of all time. BJ Daniels was one of my favorite late round QB prospects of all time.

This makes me happy.

Same here. Lotu was from the school of 'if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS'. The kid was too helter skelter and I'd be surprised if he makes another roster.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Do you think there's a chance BJ Daniels could be converted to a different position?

Tical21

Reaction score
They made this move in an attempt to save money. They think there is a decent chance TJack goes elsewhere either for a shot to start or because at the least he has played himself into a modest raise. This would leave them with one QB. By adding a QB now, you get the chance to teach the guy your system for most of a year, and possibly play himself into an uber cheap backup role next season. Either that, or you're going to have to go out and pay a guy to come be your backup.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Tical21":hybbkdfk said:
They made this move in an attempt to save money. They think there is a decent chance TJack goes elsewhere either for a shot to start or because at the least he has played himself into a modest raise. This would leave them with one QB. By adding a QB now, you get the chance to teach the guy your system for most of a year, and possibly play himself into an uber cheap backup role next season. Either that, or you're going to have to go out and pay a guy to come be your backup.

NICE!!

Great explanation and totally consistent with PC/JS. Basically a poor man's emergency Wilson, save a few bucks while TJack gets another shot somewhere else.
They went to all the trouble to keep Lotulelei, but now this seems like clearly higher value in the longer-term scheme of things, enough to let a prized speedy LBer project go.

Throwdown

Reaction score
lukerguy":2im6zgix said:
Do you think there's a chance BJ Daniels could be converted to a different position?

Nah, dudes a QB, no fatal flaw in game, only knocks are he's only 6'0, and went to USF.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tical21":10mnzaho said:

You might be right but I think the ship has sailed on T-Jack being a starter and I think he may know that as well. It could save money just because of T-Jacks vet status I suppose.

As far as him being a Russ clone JS has stated that is one lesson he has learned not to do so I think thats less of a factor than one may think.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2zkzw5x6 said:
CALIHAWK1":2zkzw5x6 said:
Did we need a third QB? I didn't love the dude but Mike Morgan is a weaker link IMO.

How so?

Morgan is a decent LB, is an even better STer, and is a versatile player who can line-up at any LBer position as well as LEO.

And when he was asked by Quinn over this off-season to put on 15-20 pounds and compete at LEO, Morgan didn't complain, he just put in the hard work.

And yeah you could use an extra QB always if that guy possesses the talent and skillset you want but it could be that Russell Wilson has been taking a lot of damage and might be getting worn out running for his life every game.

I dont really see him being as versatile as you say he is especially as you mentioned him putting on the added weight to play leo. I'll also add that we have five other guys counting Bennett capable of playing the leo spot.

As far as Coleman I just don't get needing another guy being inactive on game day. If it comes down to Russ and T-Jack bith going down I think they would sign a vet before starting Coleman.

NYCoug

Reaction score
NOOOO!!!!!!

What about the hair!?

I guess I have to step up and assume the position of long-haired Seahawk now. Wait, what? The dude who bangs on the side of the railings during games non-stop already got the gig? I guess I can settle for PygmyHawk, as I think Dom coined over the weekend in Houston. Not a bad gig. I'll take it.

McGruff

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":xuseqipz said:

All it says is that they didn't like the developmental potential of the QB's on the market at the time and they they do like daniel's potential.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3bof00ck said:
Tical21":3bof00ck said:

You might be right but I think the ship has sailed on T-Jack being a starter and I think he may know that as well. It could save money just because of T-Jacks vet status I suppose.

Possibly, but you can bet that GMs for QB-needy teams around the league are paying attention to what Tarvaris does in his backup role here. If they think, "He finally matured and can be a caretaker for us for a couple of seasons," then he could get another starting gig shot. You don't think he'd be welcomed in Jacksonville, for example? Maybe the Jags go for their QBOTF in the coming draft and want a reliable backup (i.e., not Gabbert or Henne).

McGruff

Reaction score
-The Glove-":pxz3pbh3 said:
SalishHawkFan":pxz3pbh3 said:

I don't think so. I think it was just an opportunity that presented itself. This kid was a guy they were looking to draft, albeit the 7th round, but they still liked him

They valued him higher than the 7th round, but didn't value his roster impact that highly.

Subzero717

Reaction score
volsunghawk":umjeo63x said:
CALIHAWK1":umjeo63x said:
Tical21":umjeo63x said:

Possibly, but you can bet that GMs for QB-needy teams around the league are paying attention to what Tarvaris does in his backup role here. If they think, "He finally matured and can be a caretaker for us for a couple of seasons," then he could get another starting gig shot. You don't think he'd be welcomed in Jacksonville, for example? Maybe the Jags go for their QBOTF in the coming draft and want a reliable backup (i.e., not Gabbert or Henne).

I don't see T-Jack leaving here to go back up another rookie. If had the choice I believe he'd stay here. He did after all have a choice when released by Buffalo and he told his agent he wamted to come back to Seattle.

There is also one thing that I don't remember anyone bringing up is that this guy was released in favor of keeping Colt McCoy.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I noticed Hawkblogger compared the cutting of Loutlelei to the cutting of Michael Bennett several years ago.

Not even close IMO.

Not sure what the big fuss was about this guy. He looked completely out of his depth in garbage time against the Jaguars. The fact is, he hasn't got close to knocking off the USC backup crew and Benson Mayowa has shown so much more potential as a 'stash for the future' type prospect.

Subzero717

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":h15c55f5 said:
I noticed Hawkblogger compared the cutting of Loutlelei to the cutting of Michael Bennett several years ago.

Not even close IMO.

Not sure what the big fuss was about this guy. He looked completely out of his depth in garbage time against the Jaguars. The fact is, he hasn't got close to knocking off the USC backup crew and Benson Mayowa has shown so much more potential as a 'stash for the future' type prospect.

Hawkblogger thought Flynn got jobbed in the QB competition last year.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He had a serious man crush on Lotulelei. Not sure why.

The Jacksonville game really exposed how limited he was. On their final touchdown he was totally at fault... couldn't get off a block and the guy just waltzed in. Any of us would've scored. That was the final straw for me. His whole performance in garbage time that day was weak and no shocks he was inactive against Houston.

We need the backup lineman right now due to injuries and Mayowa has shown so much more potential as a redshirt type of guy. I wouldn't bet against Lotulelei making the PS.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1pzvasl4 said:

That's idiotic. He's whining about them keeping Spitz over Lotulelei, but that completely ignores the current O-line situation and the fact that Lotu was going to be gone when Bruce got added anyway.