The Saints "Run" Game

Treefiddy

Reaction score
Been hearing and reading all over the Aints message boards about this awesome run game they plan to exploit our #1 ranked defense with. Why did they keep this awesome run game bottled up all year and end up with one of the worst run statistics in the league? I think it's the fact that they played a garbage D in Philly and I bet by middle of 2nd quarter they ditch this newfound run game.

Shock2k

Reaction score
If you listen to the Seahawks press conferences they are "encouraging" the Saints to run.

OP
OP
T

Treefiddy

Reaction score
I'm way more worried about quick 7 yard shots up the middle to Graham then anything Ingram and his 3.5 yd rushes do.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Seattle will be prepared. I am not concerned about the Saints and their attempt to rush the ball. Big Red and Mebane are licking their chops right now.

Exittium

Reaction score
Treefiddy":1q6jekq5 said:
I'm way more worried about quick 7 yard shots up the middle to Graham then anything Ingram and his 3.5 yd rushes do.

Thats fine Kam and Earl will just introduce him to VD

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
As an Eagles fan, I've been watching this team all year, and while the defense has had its moments, it has rarely been consistent and never been stellar. Much of that team's success has been the offense, particularly the Foles and Shady combo, but on the defensive side of the ball, it's like a game of Jenga.

When NO came out and started pounding the ball with their three different backs, I knew Philly was in trouble. This has been the game plan with Philly through and through, to pound up front, get your 4-5 yards a carry, and wear them down. I think analysts--especially those who predicted that Eagles might host the NFC Championship because GB beats San Fran and Seattle--were enamored with Nick Foles, who admittedly was impressive this season. But I, as a longtime watcher of the Iggles knew that much of this was smoke and mirrors.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Introduce him to VD? Boy, I didn't know Saturday was going to be that kind of party...

Largent80

Reaction score
Our run D is excelling right now. Hey Saints, check out the film....Oops. Fail on your hopes.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Philly & Denver are very similar. They need to put up a ton of points, since both defenses are suspect.

THe thing that stands out to me about the last game was the Saints first play from scrimmage. Big ol' Mebane coming in for a tackle with a 2 yard loss.

Exittium

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1fpr8byu said:
Introduce him to VD? Boy, I didn't know Saturday was going to be that kind of party...

Do i seriously need to clarify VD for Vernon Davis for you? If not I just did

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The only good thing they did in our house earlier this year was stop Marshawn, why's anybody blaming them for thinking they can do it again? It won't be easy, but it's certainly something legitimately viable for them to pin their hopes on.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Off topic, but aside from BB/Percy who else DNP on that Monday night for the Hawks?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
StorytellerMatt":37peph2i said:
As an Eagles fan, I've been watching this team all year, and while the defense has had its moments, it has rarely been consistent and never been stellar. Much of that team's success has been the offense, particularly the Foles and Shady combo, but on the defensive side of the ball, it's like a game of Jenga.

When NO came out and started pounding the ball with their three different backs, I knew Philly was in trouble. This has been the game plan with Philly through and through, to pound up front, get your 4-5 yards a carry, and wear them down. I think analysts--especially those who predicted that Eagles might host the NFC Championship because GB beats San Fran and Seattle--were enamored with Nick Foles, who admittedly was impressive this season. But I, as a longtime watcher of the Iggles knew that much of this was smoke and mirrors.
If Philly had actually put together some offense in the first half, the Saints would have been less committed to running. Every single three and out the Eagles had was permission for the Saints to try and pound the rock.

SaintsGuy

Reaction score
Saturday was the first time all year (besides in blowouts) that Sean Payton consistently stuck with the run game. Even a few weeks ago against Carolina, we were having success running Ingram, only for Payton to bench him and send in another one of his fancy personnel groupings. Like many say, Ingram is one of those backs who needs to be fed to be effective. But with the Saints, he has only one 100 yard game, which was against the Cowboys earlier this year when he got plenty of second half carries. I believe the reason our run game struggles is because of our constant personnel shifting along with the fact that our o-line is the worst it has been in years. I think the key to us having an effective offensive game against y'all is if Payton simplifies our offense, which includes limiting personnel shifts and the need for a lot of line-of-scrimmage communication, and stick with the running game as much as possible. Now, will it be effective? I have no idea, because besides last Saturday we have never come into a game this year with a run-first mentality.

But overall, if any Saints fan tells you that we WILL have a solid running game and duplicate the success found last week, I promise you they are lying.

2_0_6

Reaction score
SaintsGuy":2brm66uw said:
Saturday was the first time all year (besides in blowouts) that Sean Payton consistently stuck with the run game. Even a few weeks ago against Carolina, we were having success running Ingram, only for Payton to bench him and send in another one of his fancy personnel groupings. Like many say, Ingram is one of those backs who needs to be fed to be effective. But with the Saints, he has only one 100 yard game, which was against the Cowboys earlier this year when he got plenty of second half carries. I believe the reason our run game struggles is because of our constant personnel shifting along with the fact that our o-line is the worst it has been in years. I think the key to us having an effective offensive game against y'all is if Payton simplifies our offense, which includes limiting personnel shifts and the need for a lot of line-of-scrimmage communication, and stick with the running game as much as possible. Now, will it be effective? I have no idea, because besides last Saturday we have never come into a game this year with a run-first mentality.

But overall, if any Saints fan tells you that we WILL have a solid running game and duplicate the success found last week, I promise you they are lying.

Now THIS is a Saints fan who truly knows football. Great Post.

Cheers to a good game on Saturday. :thirishdrinkers:

Teqneek

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2d5ccma0 said:
The only good thing they did in our house earlier this year was stop Marshawn, why's anybody blaming them for thinking they can do it again? It won't be easy, but it's certainly something legitimately viable for them to pin their hopes on.

Because thats not what this is about? Its about.. THEIR run game?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Teqneek":30rw7rnw said:
RolandDeschain":30rw7rnw said:

Because thats not what this is about? Its about.. THEIR run game?
What the hell? I had a paragraph typed in that reply before what is visible, there. I must have inadvertently deleted it and not noticed, posting in a hurry. I started off referring to their running game with that added on at the end because of someone else's comment...Never mind, I guess; lol.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
StorytellerMatt":217yd9lb said:

I think their run success against Philly was also related to lack of preparation. Philly didn't expect the Sainst to commit that heavily to the run and were essentially caught off guard.

We have had a couple games this year like that. The first game against the Rams caught us off guard and we responded by holding them to 13 yards the second meeting.

We won't be surprised by a running attack this week.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
I think this game all comes down to our offense functioning and most importantly Mr.BEVELLS's play calling. Our defense can hold them down to 3 points and multiple interception, but if Bevell shows up with crap again, we lose!

Latest posts