The Saints fans are already discussing the Seattle game...

HawkWow

Reaction score
Easy stuff Big Easy fans: We win in our house, you in yours. Continue to look towards our match-up, but do so with dread. It will likely be the first of 2 losses you receive this year at the Clink. Your Saints are an awesome team and I'd be quite concerned if the schedule was reversed. But it's not. ; )

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Relly looking forward to the game. I am a huge DB. Fan and really want to see these 2 teams bang

HawkWow

Reaction score
Happypuppy":6ah8rha4 said:
Relly looking forward to the game. I am a huge DB. Fan and really want to see these 2 teams bang

I hope for RW to ultimately become DB. And I think he's on schedule to do so.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Yes, today he is. I am hopeful RW will continue to evolve / develop. Brees is way better than Tark ever hoped to be.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tark played in a different era the run game was much more focused on, and when they actually played outside in the elements, put Brees in Minnesota for most the season in the snow, ice and whatever else and lets see how well he would do in the 70's with no technology to warm things up, melt a field or keep it heated and soft, thermal ware was almost non existent, Namath got his pantyhose commercial because players wore them to keep warmer in the winter while playing etc.

HawkWow

Reaction score
chris98251":21tm3opp said:
Tark played in a different era the run game was much more focused on, and when they actually played outside in the elements, put Brees in Minnesota for most the season in the snow, ice and whatever else and lets see how well he would do in the 70's with no technology to warm things up, melt a field or keep it heated and soft, thermal ware was almost non existent, Namath got his pantyhose commercial because players wore them to keep warmer in the winter while playing etc.

Agreed. Brees got some off that at Purdue, but nothing compared to Tark and those hateful winters in Minn. But Tark had an all time great D and an awesome running game, too. Tark made a career out of basking in mayhem, Brees keeps the mayhem to a minimum while hitting his WRs in stride and / or on their marks.

That icy field actually assisted Tark as much as hurt him. When watching film, you'll see D players slipping, sliding all over the place trying to contain him. Such a scenario will always be to the advantage of the QB (and offense). Regardless, both great in their own rights, but I don't think too many would take Tark over Brees, all considered.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkWow":r9upy33b said:
chris98251":r9upy33b said:

Agreed. Brees got some off that at Purdue, but nothing compared to Tark and those hateful winters in Minn. But Tark had an all time great D and an awesome running game, too. Tark made a career out of basking in mayhem, Brees keeps the mayhem to a minimum while hitting his WRs in stride and / or on their marks. Both great in their own rights, but I don't think too many would take Tark over Brees, all considered.

I think it would be a generational vote and depending on who plays in what era, I would take Tark over Brees everyday in the 60's and 70's, remember the Saints defense up until last year was considered one of the best in the league also, Foreman wasn't as much of a runner as the backfield of the Saints is, but he was a enigma at the time because he was a hell of a receiver out of the backfield, very unusual in those days. He was a good runner but not a great one, and he could pass block.

You also have to remember, they played with a hard ball, I mean they didn't have all the warmers and stuff, didn't change the ball out like they do now, the ball was a frozen rock to grip and to catch. If you ever played and dealt with cold weather while playing and had a hard ball to catch and throw you know what I mean. Stickum was used for a reason back then.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Excellent points. I grew up a Packer fan, Vike hater, and played football as a kid in Milwaukee. I know of exactly what you speak. The ball was actually painful to catch.. especially when below zero. Not arguing, and it's apparent you know the era, but as good as the Saints D was, there's not been too many Ds like the purple people eaters. A generous portion of them, like Page, Marshall and Eller, I believe enshrined. They were the 85 Bears when Ditka was still catching balls for the Bears.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkWow":1c0mjvg7 said:
Excellent points. I grew up a Packer fan, Vike hater, and played football as a kid in Milwaukee. I know of exactly what you speak. The ball was actually painful to catch.. especially when below zero. Not arguing, and it's apparent you know the era, but as good as the Saints D was, there's not been too many Ds like the purple people eaters. A generous portion of them, like Page, Marshall and Eller, I believe enshrined. They were the 85 Bears when Ditka was still catching balls for the Bears.

Their front 4 is legendary granted, just as the Rams Fearsome Foursome was in that day, best two defensive lines in the game for that time, Pittsburgh came along after the fact and Dallas but they were first.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
SalishHawkFan":3ca9l78e said:
RW is more Fran Tarkenton that Drew Brees.

I was watching some Fran Tarkenton highlights. They both LOOOVE to escape the rush out of the back with a quick spin/swerve, what I call the "dipsy-doo" move. I mean, people are not overstating how much alike they look. The difference is that RW throws absolute lasers that I have never seen Tarkenton throw.

HawkWow

Reaction score
chris98251":33fctimg said:
HawkWow":33fctimg said:

Their front 4 is legendary granted, just as the Rams Fearsome Foursome was in that day, best two defensive lines in the game for that time, Pittsburgh came along after the fact and Dallas but they were first.

...and here come the Seattle Seahawks. ; )

IronSaint

Reaction score
Try not to pay those guys in that thread much attention. As my home forum, I can honestly say from experience of reading their posts that a lot of those guys are blind homers, especially the ones on that first page.

And LOL, after reading this thread, some of you guys are just as bad as some of the posters on the first page of the 'Lynch' thread. Talk about the pot calling the kettle 'black', huh?

sutz":2fqfcbym said:
You think the Saints fans are starting to feel about Seattle like we felt about Chicago, as in "Why in the hell do we always have to play there?"

;)

Nah, it's just the idiots that don't understand the scheduling rotation. 2010 ya'll played here, 2013 we play there, 2016 ya'll play here and 2019 we play there again. Any regular season games that occur between them dates are because we were the same seed in our respective divisions the previous year and the home/away is a 50/50 shot.

Latest posts