The Fire is building

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Very long time member here , don’t post much but read a lot and game day chat .
With that said I’m not sure why I’m feeling this way but the fire is starting to build again for me .
Hear me out . And I will apologize right now for the punctuation etc…..
I’ve always been a Seahawks fan since the very early 80s living on the East Coast it was really rough growing up being the box scores in the newspaper and catching the two minute highlights on Monday night football was my fix . I’ve always cheered for the Seahawks but never was totally obsessed with them. Until Super Bowl 40 . Now I knew we had a good team I was watching every game on satellite TV since 1996 at that point and I knew we had the tools to win and I was excited as all hell but I still wasn’t obsessed. That game blew the top off of it for me! I was so angry over that game all I wanted was a championship that’s all I thought about was a championship because of the events of that game. The straight outright thievery that train wreck was . Well it became a fire that totally consumed every last minute of my free time . I had been on here already but I’ve never posted like I posted after that game here for those few years after XL . I read every post every sports writers articles every training camp video every interview , Chase every rumor for years. If the Seahawks lost on Sunday it absolutely ruined the first part of my week it was insane!
Then the magic happened and we finally win a Super Bowl! The ride that was was exhilarating to say the least! It felt like this absolute huge weight off my back for some odd crazy reason! I could watch football for football again not because I was obsessed with a championship ! just for the love of the game . Even losing SB49 !! the spear the dagger the most unbelievable thing I’ve ever seen in my life happened and Still didn’t effect me to the point of past years . It was rough AF but I moved on pretty quick . Now these years after that still haven’t been fired up . Until now .
I feel that I want to just win games pretty bad to throw it in all the “expert’s” face . All this sky is falling chicken little stuff ain’t gonna work for me . I fell the disrespect from the pundits and I’m fine with it . It seems to ignite a spark with every stupid negative Piece I read .
I’ve seen a lot of bad Seahawks football in my time , Believe it but we are no where’s near Kelli Stouffer Rick Mirer Dan McGuire bad as they would have you believe.
All in all enjoy the rebuild ! we’re gonna Have to climb the mountain again ,earn the respect.
Now people can get on this wagon whenever they want and get off whenever they want I don’t call people bandwagon fans but I’m telling you right now the ride to the top is pretty freaking awesome when you start at the bottom.
Go Hawks

BigMeach

Reaction score
There's something about escaping mediocrity in sport that makes it the most thrilling. It's why the underdog is so commonly rooted for. And in that vein I do look forward to us restarting and revamping. How long it takes to get back on top is the question though... I will remain hopeful.

Jac

Reaction score
I always find the "building" phase to be the most fun (as long as there is a coherent plan, and this draft felt like there was a roster-building plan). The "playoff/championship" phase is fun but also stressful with losses gutting. Every game matters, and windows are so short. Obviously, the "decay" phase (where we've been for a few years) is the worst.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I was as vocal as anyone in saying we screwed up the Russ sitation and that it could be a while before we are good again. But I also love a rebuilding phase and a fresh start and seeing if we can build it again. I personally wish it was a complete rebuild with new staff etc but regardless I'm excited to see how it plays out and I hope I'm wrong and we become contenders again. The NFL is set up for parity so it can easily be done and done quickly.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think you touched on something quintessential to being a Seattle sports fan. The East coast roots for their local teams non-stop. There will be more column inches written about the New York Giants this year than the entire NFCW combined. So yeah, I love it when we beat those teams. In general, if I'm watching to teams I have no connection to, I'll root for the western-most based team just because.

As for the Seahawks, yes! I am enjoying the rebuild. I've hated the past few years where we were good enough to get to the playoffs, but not good enough to dominate. Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, Brees -- all those 'franchise' QBs we supposedly have to have -- only have one SB win each. I felt like we were doomed to that same Stockton/Malone repeating heartbreak.

I'm looking forward to surprising people again. I'm looking forward to young stars emerging again. I'm looking forward to everybody being afraid of us in December again.

Go Hawks!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
...Then the magic happened and we finally win a Super Bowl! The ride that was was exhilarating to say the least! It felt like this absolute huge weight off my back for some odd crazy reason! I could watch football for football again not because I was obsessed with a championship ! just for the love of the game . Even losing SB49 !! the spear the dagger the most unbelievable thing I’ve ever seen in my life happened and Still didn’t effect me to the point of past years . It was rough AF but I moved on pretty quick .

Funny you mention not being absolutely crushed regarding the way SB49 ended. Had we lost SB48 and we were still looking for our first Lombardi, that fateful play may have taken years off my life. Instead, while I was super bummed, I remember not really getting that fired up about it. That ambivalent attitude could have ONLY happened if I got to check off my #1 Bucket List item which was to witness my beloved Seattle Seahawks winning the Super Bowl.

While don't get me wrong, it WAS a gut-wrenching way to lose when we were a mere 1 yard away from back-to-back Super Bowl championships (and possibly the start of a dynasty, we will never know), I recovered a hell of a lot faster thanks to that incredible previous year's success. While I hope to see the Seahawks hoist another Lombardi (or two or three) before my time on this earth expires, I will always be satiated that I got to witness one, and boy was it in extraordinary fashion.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
While don't get me wrong, it WAS a gut-wrenching way to lose when we were a mere 1 yard away from back-to-back Super Bowl championships (and possibly the start of a dynasty, we will never know), I recovered a hell of a lot faster thanks to that incredible previous year's success.
The thing about our loss in SB49 was that we actually lost it. The Patriots did what they had to do to win the game, and we didn't. It sucks, but I can live with that.

SB40, on the other hand, was a game that was stolen from us. If it had been officiated fairly, maybe we win, and maybe we don't -- and if we didn't, if we lost the game fair & square, I could have lived with that. But that opportunity was stolen from us, and that took a reeeeeeeally long time to get over. Still not fully over it. After SB49 though, life went on as normal.

Aircrew

Reaction score
The thing about our loss in SB49 was that we actually lost it. The Patriots did what they had to do to win the game, and we didn't. It sucks, but I can live with that.

SB40, on the other hand, was a game that was stolen from us. If it had been officiated fairly, maybe we win, and maybe we don't -- and if we didn't, if we lost the game fair & square, I could have lived with that. But that opportunity was stolen from us, and that took a reeeeeeeally long time to get over. Still not fully over it. After SB49 though, life went on as normal.
100% this. I will always, and I mean always, feel sick to my stomach if the slightest reference to that game comes across TV or the internet. An absolute shame that it not only happened but that NFL a$$ kissers in the media tried covering it up and making us Hawks fans look like whiners who couldn't take a loss. And Joey Porter will always be a POS in my book.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
100% this. I will always, and I mean always, feel sick to my stomach if the slightest reference to that game comes across TV or the internet. An absolute shame that it not only happened but that NFL a$$ kissers in the media tried covering it up and making us Hawks fans look like whiners who couldn't take a loss. And Joey Porter will always be a POS in my book.
Wasn't it Porter who accused the NFL of trying to steal a game from them just two weeks earlier? Or was it a different Steeler lowlife scumbag?

Slick

Reaction score
I look forward to having lower expectations for the first time in a decade. Watching every game and expecting (my fault) a win every time was getting ridiculous. Watching the team reload/rebuild/grow is going to be a fun thing. I think this is Pete's last push and would be fitting to re-apply his program as he calls it to a new batch of players and see where things go in 2-3 years :).

chris98251

Reaction score
Wasn't it Porter who accused the NFL of trying to steal a game from them just two weeks earlier? Or was it a different Steeler lowlife scumbag?
Bettis, Rapistburger, Porter, Ward, pick one and there were more.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score

I've noticed that game is rarely mentioned in football media. I think the reason is obvious. It's hard to speak about a game when the most common reaction is shame and embarrassment at what happened, even by non-Seahawk fans.

We got to rewrite the Seahawks narrative with SB48, and I hope we get to add another win in the future. I, too, am excited about seeing this new-ish iteration of the Seahawks.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I've noticed that game is rarely mentioned in football media. I think the reason is obvious. It's hard to speak about a game when the most common reaction is shame and embarrassment at what happened, even by non-Seahawk fans.

We got to rewrite the Seahawks narrative with SB48, and I hope we get to add another win in the future. I, too, am excited about seeing this new-ish iteration of the Seahawks.
Doesnt help one of the officials came out in what 2010? 2011? Saying calls were made that haunt him and shouldnt have been made and he wished he could change.. and some probably changed the outcome?
If anything I can see why its barely mentioned.

acer1240

Reaction score
Football is still fun even when the Hawks are mediocre. I look back fondly at the days when the team needed a dozen scenarios to make the playoffs going into the last week of the season. Usually we'd have 11 go our way and just miss out because we'd typically lose. Berman always saying "c'mon Seattle" was always funny to me.

Personally I don't need a dominant team to enjoy the season although I wish we were at that level. This season is looking like a throwaway, but I'll still watch every game rooting for the upset. The fact that the Mariners may be very interesting heading to late September will help a bit.

Kudos to all that will hang in there. I'm sick of hearing that the Seahawks only have bandwagon fans.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Great thread. I concur with everything above. I'm more interested now than I have been in years. I think we have a great young nucleus that has the potential to be world beaters in a few years depending on how we draft. I'm pumped. Let's fly!

chawx

Reaction score
Great post, OP. Everything you wrote I 100% agree with and am on the same exact page as you. Just wanted to come out of about a 5 year posting hibernation on this site to say that. A+ and I'm super-excited to prove the naysayers wrong...I don't think Pete wants it any other way. LFG HAWKS!

rigelian

Reaction score
Doesnt help one of the officials came out in what 2010? 2011? Saying calls were made that haunt him and shouldnt have been made and he wished he could change.. and some probably changed the outcome?
If anything I can see why its barely mentioned.
It's not a good enough response. Pretty much everyone knows what calls shouldn't have been made. However, there was no explanationas to why those calls were made. Superbowl XL still pisses me off.

JPatera76

Reaction score
It's not a good enough response. Pretty much everyone knows what calls shouldn't have been made. However, there was no explanationas to why those calls were made. Superbowl XL still pisses me off.
Oh 100% agree, it still pisses me off more than "the run that never happened" Sb loss