The Running game

chris98251

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of posts condemning the Pick of Small as a Fullback, what I remember is everyone screaming about how we sucked running the ball when Mike Rob was cut and how we looked the first part of the season. Coleman didn't have Lynchs confidence for whatever reason, Coleman also didn't attack the hole like Mike Rob or Mack String used to do. Spencer Ware I think was thought to be a Fullback being groomed but looks more power back to me, both Coleman and Ware have good hands and can help that way but we have a lot of backs that can catch.

Enter Small, He looks to attack the hole and first man to plug it, enjoys the contact and laying lumber, smart and can catch the ball as well, he will be hard to see coming due to his height, this isn't going to diminish his effective ability to keep a hole open since he is 255. A confident Lynch is a whole different type of runner. If we can't move the ball on the ground we suffer badly in other areas, defense on the field to long, teams can focus on Wilson and stack the box and send exotic run blitz and pass blitz packages etc.

If Small (or any of the others) can be the ignitor for Lynch,Turbin and Michael we all will be happy, if we can't run effectively week in and week out the board will be in implosion mode about the Line, the Fullback, the WR's not getting open, Wilson holding the ball too long, Cable failing to coach up guys, Pete being stubborn and one dimensional and not trusting Wilson to win it for us and on and on.

Remember the Broncos, Giants, Saints, no running game and it was their demise, more and more teams are going to try to emulate what our defense does, the kind of victory we had in the Super Bowl is a statement game for change, the league seen and is addressing it as each team can, some will have a bit of success, other less based on coaching style and how the implement it and teach as well as patience to let it work.

So when being underwhelmed and not appreciating what Small can bring think of what he can open up for the team over all.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong and you're right. To me, it looks like a real waste of a pick. Succeeding as a college fullback at 5'8 is extremely impressive. But his blocking itself does not impress me. To make matters worse, he has no moves in the open field and goes down on first contact. This is seemingly a pick with no upside.

[youtube]r7ZtRbf4T8o[/youtube]

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2014":j5htnt9r said:
I hope I'm wrong and you're right. To me, it looks like a real waste of a pick. Succeeding as a college fullback at 5'8 is extremely impressive. But his blocking itself does not impress me. To make matters worse, he has no moves in the open field and goes down on first contact. This is seemingly a pick with no upside.

His job is a relief valve nothing more, you are not putting him out there to be a primary target, he pass blocks as well so splitting Michaels out after an initial line up gives the TE chance to get in the pattern also.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
chris98251":3mgnhfef said:
His job is a relief valve nothing more, you are not putting him out there to be a primary target, he pass blocks as well so splitting Michaels out after an initial line up gives the TE chance to get in the pattern also.

Sorry, I don't see the good pass blocking. He can get manhandled or beaten to the outside due to his lack of power and length. Turbin looks like a better pass blocker to me. Small gets knocked back at the line of scrimmage more times than he knocks the other player back. He's a solid cut blocker; I will give him that. And again, it's a feel good story that someone with such physical limitations could grow into a starting fullback for a major college program. I just don't see him as a successful NFL fullback. I will be surprised if he blocks well.

chawx

Reaction score
I like what I see with Small. He'll get a shot, and that's all you can ask from a guy.

I guess we should have taken Michael Sam instead...then the media would love us. and I think that's the point of post-draft, pre-anything-football-related days. Right now with our draft, the media would seem that we're going to be basement dwellers in about 2 years from now.

Lithium

Reaction score
I like the pick. He's the same size as Mike Tolbert who's a pro-bowler so his size is of no concern to me. I have faith our coaches know what they're doing and didnt just take a random FB for the hell of it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Making the team is an upside on most NFL rosters as a 7th rounder. There are a great many players on the preseason roster that are not going to make the Final 53. You can't expect every single player drafted to make the team because it isn't realistic. And even if they did, it would mean some current Hawk gets cut to make room. You can't keep everyone.

The FO and the team live of competition and that is exactly what Small offers. FB is a dying position, yet desired by our FO. They could have picked anyone they wanted and they went with him.

Time to let camp sort things out.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2014":fb1sv1w0 said:
chris98251":fb1sv1w0 said:

Sorry, I don't see the good pass blocking. He can get manhandled or beaten to the outside due to his lack of power and length. Turbin looks like a better pass blocker to me. Small gets knocked back at the line of scrimmage more times than he knocks the other player back. He's a solid cut blocker; I will give him that. And again, it's a feel good story that someone with such physical limitations could grow into a starting fullback for a major college program. I just don't see him as a successful NFL fullback. I will be surprised if he blocks well.

You don't see the good pass blocking ?

They routinely put him on the edge against DE's and blitzing OLB's with no help at all. He's blocking guys 6" taller than him and in some cases 15 + lbs heavier than him, who have a head start off the edge. And all he does is mirror them and wash them to the outside. Sure he gets beat sometimes, but even elite OT's get beat sometimes.

He'll help the run game, IMO. But what helps the run game even more is Harvin staying healthy and Richardson pulling Safeties off the top of the defense. We won't be seeing a lot of 8 man boxes with Richardson and Harvin on the field.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
hawknation2014":6ggnybcz said:
chris98251":6ggnybcz said:

Really.... Such psychical limitations? Lol the dude weighs 240+ at 5'8.5, he's not physically limited by any means. Hold your thumb and pointer finger a few inches apart and that's the difference between him and Wilson, harvin, Baldwin, lynch, Turbin, Thomas, etc... Barely anything huh? Crazy! I know... And like another poster said, Mike Tolbert, MJD, Ray Rice, Doug Martin, are all short dudes who can ball. I'm glad you're not the ones calling the shots on this team because apparently to you 2 inches in size difference makes or breaks a player.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Unlike Ware and Coleman, who were both converted running backs, this guy is an actual fullback. He knows how to play fullback. He leads through the hole, pins guys on his shoulder and seals them. It's pretty obvious that Arkansas thought highly of his pass protecting as the schemes consistently called for him to take on defenders one on one.

Lynch didn't trust Coleman, as Chris said, because Coleman was indecisive and plodded around trying to find the right path. Small instinctively knows what to do.

The negativity on here kills me, we are really slamming a fullback because he isn't athletic in the open field? I saw Mack Strong juke two guys in his entire career. Doesn't mean he wasn't an amazing fullback.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2p173ktk said:
The negativity on here kills me, we are really slamming a fullback because he isn't athletic in the open field? I saw Mack Strong juke two guys in his entire career. Doesn't mean he wasn't an amazing fullback.

Mack Strong was 6'0, 253; he knocked guys back.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
And I saw Small knock guys back too...its about power and leverage.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Good post topic. Our run game did suffer before we re-signed Mike Rob. It's obvious FB was a position in dire need of competition. It was a good pick from that standpoint.

I've watched the videos, and from what I've seen, I like Smalls. He looks like a real FB. This is going to be a fun battle to watch over the off season because he looks legit and has a real chance to catch on here blocking for Beastmode.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1js5r4bc said:
seahawk2k":1js5r4bc said:

Mack Strong was 6'0, 253; he knocked guys back.

He's up to 255, you didn't see the picture that was showing him at 243 vs 255, he is ripped, he has no wasted motion out of his stance.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
From JS's interview with Brock and Danny this guy will be the hammer for Lynch. JS loves the way he roots guys out of the hole, as JS puts it. He was not brought here to pass block. As I see it after listening to JS Small will be the goal line and short yardage dozer.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I love the pick. Coleman seems like a guy who is still figuring out the finer points. Small seems like a guy who will smash the finer points.

(stolen from the other thread)
[youtube]xk2WAHkTDvI[/youtube][/quote]