"The Pass" written by Ricardo Lockette on Player's Tribune

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGruff

Reaction score
What a brilliant piece of writing by Ricardo. And what it lets you know is that the players didn't doubt the call. Not one bit. 100% completion rate in the regular season. The matchups they wanted.

Two men made that play fall apart. Brandon Browner read it, and Malcolm Butler jumped it. End of story.

For this story alone I hope Ricardo makes the team. I don't think he's a good receiver, and I think he's overrated as a gunner (when healthy I think both Lane and KPL are better), but I want redemption for the man.

A

Anonymous

Aros was left wanting with Ricardo, a while back.

Perhaps "The Pass" may bring at least some of the closure he needed from Lockette.

I'm good.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":29gqoa5f said:
100% completion rate in the regular season.

Those plays were definitely not in the red zone. I would like to see those three plays, as Lockette says all three went to him for completions.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2jnxb6ru said:
McGruff":2jnxb6ru said:
100% completion rate in the regular season.

Those plays were definitely not in the red zone. I would like to see those three plays, as Lockette says all three went to him for completions.

I don't think he meant all 3 went to him.. I remember we threw a similar pass play to Lynch against the Broncos.. but that was also on the 5 and not the 1.

That said, I don't care if that play was 100 out of 100 on the year.. in that instance, Lynch should have got the football. I'm sorry. It's the Super Bowl.. if you lose because your best player can't get in from the 1, so be it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1kuves47 said:
We ran it three times during the season in the same situation, to 100 percent completion. Perfect. Unstoppable play.

The play always goes to me.

Yeah.. in that case, I don't remember any of those. He had two TD's on the year, one in the opener on the Malzahn concept pass and the other against the Broncos on a go route

Here's his game log.. maybe someone else will recognize which plays he's talking about
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_ ... o-lockette

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3v0qz6g2 said:
hawknation2015":3v0qz6g2 said:
We ran it three times during the season in the same situation, to 100 percent completion. Perfect. Unstoppable play.

Yeah.. in that case, I don't remember any of those. He had two TD's on the year, one in the opener on the Malzahn concept pass and the other against the Broncos on a go route

Here's his game log.. maybe someone else will recognize which plays he's talking about
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_ ... o-lockette

He also says these three plays happened "in the same situation," implying that these plays happened on the goal line or at least in the red zone. Yet, I can't recall a single slant play that went for a TD last year. Can you?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's been successful (maybe 100%?) in past seasons at the goal-line, though not to Lockette. Off the top of my head, Golden Tate scored on the play in St. Louis from the 2 (2013), Zach Miller scored on the exact same play against the Saints from the 1 (2013 MNF), and Marshawn scored on a play of similar concept against the Broncos (2014).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
hawknation2015":30dn6xpm said:

One was against I believe arizona. Twas on the 45 or so and it was a completion. Twas in our howse.
Also, what he is referring to is the same pick/slant quick toss to him. Does not have to be in the endzone...just to him as a quick slant for yardage.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He could mean they've used the play three times near goal-line with 100% success during the regular season irrespective of what year it was. That's basically true (Tate/STL, Miller/NO, Lynch/DEN).

And as a separate comment, "the play always goes to me" is probably just an exaggeration meaning that he's the one that the play is called for in practice and in other areas of the field.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":28pxi2bw said:
He could mean they've used the play three times near goal-line with 100% success during the regular season irrespective of what year it was. That's basically true (Tate/STL, Miller/NO, Lynch/DEN).

And as a separate comment, "the play always goes to me" is probably just an exaggeration meaning that he's the one that the play is called for in practice and in other areas of the field.

I don't know about that. During "the season" makes me think he is talking about the 2014 season.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2yluj2lf said:
DavidSeven":2yluj2lf said:

I don't know about that. During "the season" makes me think he is talking about the 2014 season.

I agree, but it's really semantics at that point. His overall point about it being run three times near goal-line with 100% success is still valid whether it happened in 2014 or over the last two seasons.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anyway, the point is already pretty weak considering it is such a small sample size.

It gets even weaker if he is not referring to his own involvement in the plays, and if he is referring to plays that occurred in previous seasons.

McGruff

Reaction score
The bottom line though is that the players in the huddle believed in the play call.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
McGruff":2wjucjio said:
The bottom line though is that the players in the huddle believed in the play call.

Not necessarily true.. Maybe Wilson and Lockette .. but we already know there were many players wondering why it didn't go to Lynch.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":v9wr4f28 said:
McGruff":v9wr4f28 said:

Not necessarily true.. Maybe Wilson and Lockette .. but we already know there were many players wondering why it didn't go to Lynch.

Baldwin said he thought they were going to run it in, but that the players have to trust the coaches to know better than they do.

That's the point. Why does it matter if the players believed in the play call, if it was objectively terrible? They're paid to run the play as called to the best of their ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.