The offensive line, who gets paid?

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
As of right now I would keep Okung till his contract is up after next season (he's still above average when healthy and he would be playing for a new deal, so you know how that goes most of the time), drop Carpenter after this season, keep Unger till his contract is up, but maybe rework said contract if he can't stay healthy or move on from him if he's not interested at that time. I would give Sweezy and extension, he is a solid, above average RG. As for Britt he has some time, so who knows what he will look like in 2018, but I would guess he is not going anywhere for 3-4 years.

As far as the rest of the backups go, I would hope some of them pan out to be at least serviceable players in the future, but I would guess there is some turnover among the starters and backups over the next two years. There have been to many injuries and to many mental mistakes this season to think that most of the players on the O-line are locks to be on the team next season.

Sac

Reaction score
The trick to paying linemen, or any player really is to extend them before they hit the market.

The price is gong to keep going up year over year regardless.

Paying free agents is usually a bad idea. But you do have to be able to develop your own.

firebee

Reaction score
At this point... I keep Sweezy and Bailey... That's about it. Carp is just too one dimensional and short-space.... Not really effective on the pull and doesn't get downfield into the 2nd level to make springing blocks for our backs. Okung is a solid OT when he's healthy, but he's just been dinged entirely too much for, pretty much, his entire career. Just not a reliable starter. Unger is good when he's on, but he's inconsistent even when healthy. When the drop off from your starting center to a 3rd string Center is barely noticeable, that pretty much says it all. Britt is a wait and see prospect for me. Can't judge the guy by his rookie year. He's really not playing too horribly bad for a rookie.

Next Question is - Who will be available when these guys' contracts come up?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think we should follow the Saints lead with Drew Brees and keep two stud guards and a center to protect the middle for Russell, and not break the bank on left tackles.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ivotuk":2xmssami said:
I think we should follow the Saints lead with Drew Brees and keep two stud guards and a center to protect the middle for Russell, and not break the bank on left tackles.

That's nice idea. I didn't really think about that. Russell is more mobile than Brees and Brees uses the pocket more than Russell. With Russell's strengths, do you think it would be more effective to have better tackles? Russell has been effective rolling out and then throwing on the run...wouldn't make more sense to upgrade the tackles? If Okung is healthy and regains his pro bowl play the LT is taken care of. Britt is the question mark, hopefully he improves and the tackles could be set.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm not as sure as some of you are that Okung will get big bucks from somebody. His injury history is a big deal and it would take a very certain sort of desperate team that thought they were close enough to throw money at him. Maybe Dimitroff if he is still in Atlanta but a lot of the other desperate teams (Skins, Vikings, Jets) already have a guy, and I don't know that the Falcons would replace an injury prone LT with an injury prone LT.

There will be 20ish tackles drafted in rounds 1-4 next year playing for peanuts that will go to the rebuilding teams and tackle needy teams. Jags, Bucs and Panthers looks like they will have the draft position to take one of the highly regarded ones if they choose this year.

Ultimately this will be heavily influenced by how we do in the draft. I imagine we will draft 4+ OL over the next two years and the question will be whether those new additions can beat out the incumbents or not. We're not just going to move on from Okung or Unger for cost reasons unless we think their replacements are capable, and I don't think those replacements will be Bailey and Jean-Pierre.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Is Lemuel Jeanpierre expected to be back? I thought his neck injury could be career ending.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'd extend Sweezy, love his run blocking and 2nd/3rd level nastiness. I think he could be done relatively cheaply considering the player he could develop into. Just his 3rd season as an OL, Dielman was a college DT that didn't even get a start until his 3rd season. Arrow is pointing up there.

chet380

Reaction score
So many nay-sayers on this site - Okung "glass", Okung "washed up", etc,etc.

The reality -- RO was a two-time All-America, a Pro Bowler and is showing heart by playing with a torn labrum -- does anyone really believe that RO could be replaced with a draft pick given where the Hawks will be picking with their record?

Give the guy some credit -- he could easily claim injury and sit out, but instead shows up game after game and guts it out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
chet380":xppoxbum said:
So many nay-sayers on this site - Okung "glass", Okung "washed up", etc,etc.

The reality -- RO was a two-time All-America, a Pro Bowler and is showing heart by playing with a torn labrum -- does anyone really believe that RO could be replaced with a draft pick given where the Hawks will be picking with their record?

Give the guy some credit -- he could easily claim injury and sit out, but instead shows up game after game and guts it out.
I have no problem with Okung being re-signed. I hope they get a good swing tackle though, and I wonder if Okung would sign for a deal smaller than his rookie deal, which was pretty damn big.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think people question Okungs healthy ability, they question his ability to be healthy.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I agree when healthy Okung is a good LT. But he misses a lot of games and is not getting younger. Sweezy I'd keep and extend Okung but not at 8 million. Unger is 30 I believe and hurt too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Get past the 30 age level for Offensive lineman, if they have not had multiple injuries especially Knees they are usually very good into their mid thirties. 36 year old offensive Lineman are not all that rare that can still play well. You just have to be smart about who you sign and what their history is with injuries in their careers.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":12qov7py said:
I don't think people question Okungs healthy ability, they question his ability to be healthy.
This. As a result, he's not worth top-5 LT money and I believe that's what he's making this year. He has had ONE season where he played every game.

Oh and btw Chet, what he did in college, good or bad, is utterly irrelevant to what he is as a player in the NFL at this point in time.
Richard Sherman in college was a WR buried on the depth chart at Stanford and then considered a below average prospect as a CB. He's now a top-5 CB in the NFL, very rich for a good reason and playing his ass off for the defending SB champs. What he was in college only affected his draft position but no longer affects his NFL career.

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":232breux said:

Yes, I referred to him as glass, which is how he's been other than 2012.

My concern is whether he will EVER get his ability back, or if all the injuries and physical beating have taken such a toll that Okung will never again play at such a high level as in 2012. We might think, "when he comes back from (injury du jour) he'll be good again", but we really don't know if he'll be good after that or if some other ailment will crop up.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":34u9az9k said:
36 year old offensive Lineman are not all that rare that can still play well.

Actually they are damn rare. Even Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson were out of the league by age 36.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
While ever Tom Cable is with this team, I think we can forget about any big investment (draft or FA) at guard. I suspect it'll either be Carpenter at a modest deal at LG next year, Alvin Bailey or some guy they drafted in the later rounds.

At tackle -- Okung plays out his deal and tests the market. Sweezy could and should be extended. Unger need to stay healthy or could potentially be replaced before the end of his current deal.

I don't see major changes to the OL this off-season. Continuity is key for any line.

chris98251

Reaction score
kobebryant":2upz99pt said:
chris98251":2upz99pt said:
36 year old offensive Lineman are not all that rare that can still play well. .

Huh? like who?

Average retirement age is 35 to 36 years old. That's not forced by injury.