The obsession with how many titles we have

OP
OP
B

BreesIsOverrated

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":ts5frf2i said:
Here is some history for ya......
The Cardinals were founded in 1898, and are the oldest continuously run professional American football club in the United States. 1898 and have never won a championship. I think that is funny. That's what they get for naming their mascot after a whimpy, non-predatory bird.
Wow, that is absolutely terrible. I think San Diego and Phoenix get a free pass despite their garbage sports teams because they are in warm weather areas. The media thinks it rains here every day and that we are all permanently depressed.

Ninerg

Reaction score
Polaris":2ngza5jr said:
60niners":2ngza5jr said:
I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.

Except don't you think it's just a little bit foolish to talk about "five rings" when the last one happened before Seattle was even part of your division. Talk about irrelevant (at least if you want to compare to Seattle)!

No. Just like the poster said above, once you get a ring you will understand. So far you don't have a ring. In fact, you want to be crowned without even getting to the Superbowl. Right now, Seattle is like some upstarts, you're really good this year, but still haven't won it. Last year you beat the Niners, but still had to stay home and watch us play in the Superbowl.

I personally think Seattle is better than the Niners this year, probably the best team in the league, but if you don't win the big one, you will still be the same ole Seahawks, make a lot of noise but never can win the big one. The Niners, Cowboys, Steelers, NY Giants are storied NFL franchises, we're always looking to win SB's. Fans of those cites will always kind of thumb their noses at you until win a trophy.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
OP,
It's simple really. "You don't have no rings" is a simplistic insult. Most people are simple-minded and limited in their ability to roll out quality insults. Therefore that one comes up a lot. There's not much more to it.

Ninerg

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2dtwyrvk said:
OP,
It's simple really. "You don't have no rings" is a simplistic insult. Most people are simple-minded and limited in their ability to roll out quality insults. Therefore that one comes up a lot. There's not much more to it.

Unfortunately that's how its. The Niners, Steelers and Cowboys are racing for the most SB's trophies, not regular season wins or the most division titles. It's SB or bust.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Ninerg":25kwp3fo said:
Unfortunately that's how its. The Niners, Steelers and Cowboys are racing for the most SB's trophies, not regular season wins or the most division titles. It's SB or bust.

True or false: if a person brags about trophies their team won before they were actually born, they should forever be considered a drooling moron, or worse.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
For instance, upon going to grad school at IU, I've adopted the Hoosiers as a secondary college team. I enjoy cheering for Hoosier basketball (I follow and cheer for Hoosier football too, but umm...that hasn't gone well so far). Lots of longtime Hoosier fans like to brag about the "five banners on the wall" for national titles in basketball. Out of a lack of desire to become morally obligated to beat the ever-living crap out of myself, I will never brag about those banners because they pre-dated my existence as any sort of fan of the program. If I ever do that, I hope that someone kicks me in the balls as hard as they can with a steel-toed boot and then stands over me laughing at the fact that they destroyed my ability to procreate.

Ninerg

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1nqg2dpy said:
Ninerg":1nqg2dpy said:

True or false: if a person brags about trophies their team won before they were actually born, they should forever be considered a drooling moron, or worse.

Let's compare to another sport. Do you think Yankee fans ignore their past championships? They still take great pride in the championships that were won going back to the Babe Ruth era. They would laugh at Boston, their most heated rivals, and accuse them of being cursed since had not won any titles since they let Babe Ruth go.

You can't just be a prisoner of the moment. Right now, Seattle is a very good team, however you still haven't won anything. Why on earth do you want the rest of the NFL to worship at your alter when you don't have one single solitary trophy in your cupboard.

Even if you get home field and trounce every NFC opponent on your way to the SB and you lose, you will be still be back to square one. If you win it, you will be forever spoiled and will expect win every year, if not, the season will be a disappointment.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":xrnrnwi3 said:
Ninerg":xrnrnwi3 said:

True

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm OK with bragging about past championships. Isn't that what it's all about?

I envy storied franchises like the Yankees who if you're a fan you've been going to ticker tape parades for 25% of your life.

OP
OP
B

BreesIsOverrated

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11jlqrn7 said:

I envy storied franchises like the Yankees who if you're a fan you've been going to ticker tape parades for 25% of your life.
So you envy teams paying $200+ Million to buy a championship? Or their mythical titles when their was no true playoffs?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Ninerg":3aqsdbz2 said:
No. Just like the poster said above, once you get a ring you will understand. So far you don't have a ring. In fact, you want to be crowned without even getting to the Superbowl. Right now, Seattle is like some upstarts, you're really good this year, but still haven't won it. Last year you beat the Niners, but still had to stay home and watch us play in the Superbowl.

I personally think Seattle is better than the Niners this year, probably the best team in the league, but if you don't win the big one, you will still be the same ole Seahawks, make a lot of noise but never can win the big one. The Niners, Cowboys, Steelers, NY Giants are storied NFL franchises, we're always looking to win SB's. Fans of those cites will always kind of thumb their noses at you until win a trophy.

Condescension suits you.

I would like a picture of your ring. You know, the one the Niners gave you.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BreesIsOverrated":m1xkbpi6 said:
Sgt. Largent":m1xkbpi6 said:

So you envy teams paying $200+ Million to buy a championship? Or their mythical titles when their was no true playoffs?

Yes to both.

We have the richest owner in the NFL, does that mean we have an unfair advantage because we have the nicest practice facility, team plane and financial support pot to pay coaches, etc?

The Yankees spend a lot, but you also have to spend it wisely. IMO if you think that diminishes their rings, I'd say you're in the minority. Fans don't care, feels just as good.

plyka

Reaction score
60niners":33x9123h said:
I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.

:pukeface:

If you're putting this much importance on a trophy OTHER PEOPLE WON this many years ago, you need a more exciting life.

HansGruber

Reaction score
And how many have the 49ers won in the salary cap era? ZERO. Hell, they've only been relevant a couple times.

Further - where were all you 49er trolls a few years ago? I'm partner in a neurology practice in San Francisco, and am down there frequently on business. Never saw Niner fans in the Bay Area until this last year or two.

I've been to multiple Seahawks-49ers games at Candlestick over the years, almost every game since 2002 actually. Back in the old days, I could pickup tickets to Candlestick for $20 by just showing up to the park and asking any old person if they wanted to sell their tickets. They'd be happy to sell them cheaply, even though I'm standing there in my Seahawks jersey.

The fans were notoriously quiet, too. I'll never forget how, during the Singletary era, Matt Hasselbeck was holding his hand to his ear after completing a long pass. There'd be like 100-200 people in the stadium. It was like a golf tournament.

My girlfriend preferred going to games in San Francisco because it was so quiet and laid-back. The only people at the game would be a handful of older fans who never even mentioned rings. You had to stay out of the 300 level though, because it would be full of drunk gangbangers who could never afford to attend a game in a real NFL city, but could easily get into Candlestick after buying tickets for $5-10 in the parking lot.

The "fair-weather fan" label fits almost everyone in a 49ers jersey. They didn't even exist until a few years ago, and only show up when they're winning. The 49ers have the weakest fanbase in the NFL, so I literally have to stop myself from laughing whenever they speak up.

Compare that to games I've attended in Cleveland, Detroit, Washington and Philadelphia - where the teams sell out even when they're doing poorly, and it's almost impossible to get tickets. I can respect those fans because they're there even when they're losing.

You never see that in San Francisco. My friends down there say it's just because you have too many teams to root for. Your average 49er fan over the last decade went through phases - they started out a Raiders fan, moved on to the A's, then it was the Sharks, then it was the Giants, and now it's the 49ers. Open up their closet and you'll find all kinds of team gear, but you won't find any Niner gear purchased between 1995 and 2010, guaranteed.

OP
OP
B

BreesIsOverrated

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2db2mjao said:
BreesIsOverrated":2db2mjao said:
Sgt. Largent":2db2mjao said:

Yes to both.

We have the richest owner in the NFL, does that mean we have an unfair advantage because we have the nicest practice facility, team plane and financial support pot to pay coaches, etc?

The Yankees spend a lot, but you also have to spend it wisely. IMO if you think that diminishes their rings, I'd say you're in the minority. Fans don't care, feels just as good.
This is the dumbest argument ever. MLB has no salary cap, NFL does. And spend it wisely? Give me a break... Ok then, lets see how the Yankees would do with a $23 Million payroll instead of a $228 Million payroll. Money is everything in maintaining a championship franchise in the modern MLB.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Ninerg":2k4ckzco said:
You can't just be a prisoner of the moment. Right now, Seattle is a very good team, however you still haven't won anything.

Hey, quick question... are the Sharks any good this year?

Oh wait, why do I have to even ask? You're on a football forum, being a "49ers fan". Which can only mean that the Sharks suck worse than the Niners right now. So I'm going to go ahead and guess the answer - no the Sharks are probably not that great this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BreesIsOverrated":23g1gb8n said:
This is the dumbest argument ever. MLB has no salary cap, NFL does. And spend it wisely? Give me a break... Ok then, lets see how the Yankees would do with a $23 Million payroll instead of a $228 Million payroll. Money is everything in maintaining a championship franchise in the modern MLB.

THAT'S the dumbest argument ever. I guarantee you if the M's had the biggest payroll we wouldn't be saying "oh well we're not very excited about this World Series championship, we had an unfair advantage." We'd be dancing in the streets just like Yankee fans do.

But that's what I expect out of Seattle fans, we're great at justifying mediocrity for our sports teams. Falls right in line with all the other loser mentality excuses like "the league hates us"..............."the media hates us"..............."the refs hate us"................and all the other hairbrained conspiracy theories people puke up on here.

One thing matters, and ONLY one thing. Rings. Doesn't matter how you get em. Period.

OP
OP
B

BreesIsOverrated

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":333ql4q0 said:
BreesIsOverrated":333ql4q0 said:

THAT'S the dumbest argument ever. I guarantee you if the M's had the biggest payroll we wouldn't be saying "oh well we're not very excited about this World Series championship, we had an unfair advantage." We'd be dancing in the streets just like Yankee fans do.

But that's what I expect out of Seattle fans, we're great at justifying mediocrity for our sports teams. Falls right in line with all the other loser mentality excuses like "the league hates us"..............."the media hates us"..............."the refs hate us"................and all the other hairbrained conspiracy theories people puke up on here.

One thing matters, and ONLY one thing. Rings. Doesn't matter how you get em. Period.
Biggest if ever. And Super Bowl XL was officiated terribly and the outcome was impacted, even Bill Leavy himself said it. But I agree the media and league doesn't hate us, but the refs seem to.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Ninerg":3f77dqll said:
Polaris":3f77dqll said:
60niners":3f77dqll said:

Except don't you think it's just a little bit foolish to talk about "five rings" when the last one happened before Seattle was even part of your division. Talk about irrelevant (at least if you want to compare to Seattle)!

Ridiculous.

No one "wants to be crowned" anything. As long as Seattle goes further than they did last year, they are not "the Same old Seahawks" with a bunch of talk that amounts to nothing. First of all, this team is different kind of team to begin with. Built on youth and depth to supplement that youth as players in a system designed to take advantage of physical play and speed, with genuine competition in play at practice to hone their skills.

Competition at practice makes the actual game for this team a lot more fun than it is for other teams. The Hawks feed on the chance to win and in case you haven't noticed the Hawks have been competitive in every game they have played since week 2 of the 2011 season. All they have done is improve since then. As long as they continue to do so, they are successful.

The Hawks are guaranteed nothing, but their chances of getting to a title improve as the season becomes closer to ending. If the Hawks get the division and HFA for the playoffs, the chances become even greater. It is exciting and honestly a truly unique situation. If we just sat their worrying about the possibility of losing we would be robbing ourselves of the enjoyment of difficult ascension to the top. As long as the Hawks improve every year I see it as successful. At some point there is no higher accomplishment than the top. Niner fans told us that making it to the Superbowl means nothing in the 2005 season. They laughed at our pride for getting there. Then last year took the same pinnacle and turned it into an accomplishment to be proud of.

You will never hear a Seahawks fan criticizing another franchise for not having a championship. Whether the Hawks win 1, 5 or ZERO. You say we don't know because we don't have one, but I can only argue that with you don't know either because the Hawks don't have one.

I am hoping we will find out soon. Seattle fans don't want to be crowned, they simply want their dedicated rivals to respect them as such and acknowledge that they are a quality team rather than just constantly making up reasons to diminish the quality of the game they bring.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33xgscl4 said:
BreesIsOverrated":33xgscl4 said:

Yours is kind of a dumb argument because you are arguing something entirely different than what he said, and you never disproved his point. He said baseball championships are bought. Which they are. We all know who will be in the World Series before it ever happens, and there are only a few teams worth watching, who all continually try to outbid each other for a championship. Are you arguing that is false?