The obsession with how many titles we have

Chaosist

Reaction score
BreesIsOverrated":11kmbrhc said:
I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.
Giants fans do like poking at Eagles fans that they have never won a Super Bowl and that their last Championship was in 1949.

We also like mentioning to them that since the ending of the Pittsburgh-Philly Steagles merger during the '43 season, the Eagles haven't done too much, while Pittsburgh has been one of the more successful franchises in the SB era. They kinda hate that.

Polaris

Reaction score
60niners":2s06ofo8 said:
Either way you cut it though, 5 is more than zero :p

Sorry, had to lol.

Sorry, but zero is equal to zero. Seems to me that since 2002 when Seattle (re)joined the NFCW (comparing apples to apples) our teams have the same number of superbowl appearences (1), same number of superbowl victories(0), and we have 4 division titles to your two.

Just saying.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2in8thao said:
HawkWow":2in8thao said:
If only the Nordstroms had been mobsters. ; )
Hell, if only we had hit our early 30-years-into-the-franchise mark before the salary cap era.

"You couldn't buy championships before there was a salary cap!" <-- 49ers fans.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA good one, noob." <-- Yankees fans.

I actually did LOL.

dunceface

Reaction score
60niners":2bxultdv said:
I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.

that's beautiful man

HawkWow

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1dboh5cz said:
HawkWow":1dboh5cz said:
It's more difficult to win a National Championship than it is to win a SuperBowl. Seattle's UW has 2 such championships.

People outside of the Seattle area recognize U of Washington having 1. Officially the Huskies only has 1 and not 2 like most Husky fans believe.

And I recognize it's likely the Cougs, Ducks and Beaver fans, that are also Seahawk fans, contributing to the impression Seattle hasn't won anything. ; )

60niners

Reaction score
Polaris":36a9efov said:
60niners":36a9efov said:
Either way you cut it though, 5 is more than zero :p

Sorry, had to lol.

Sorry, but zero is equal to zero. Seems to me that since 2002 when Seattle (re)joined the NFCW (comparing apples to apples) our teams have the same number of superbowl appearences (1), same number of superbowl victories(0), and we have 4 division titles to your two.

Just saying.
That comment was made in jest, as I just finished saying how I don't care for that argument.

That's a perfect example of the point I was trying to make; they don't expire. It is through no fault of the fans, or the 49ers that the NFL decided to realign the divisions. It doesn't erase the championships.

Anyway, right now is right now. Both teams are doing great. When the lean years come again though, and they always will... You'll remember the good years, exipred super bowl rings and all.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think it's damn impressive SF has 5 rings. At least one of those rings, compliments of arguably the greatest team in NFL history.

As a Hawk fan, I find it very difficult to argue with a Niner fan once he brings championships into the conversation. The battle is lost. Unsure how those titles can be ignored while remaining unbiased. It's our job to keep them from getting a 6th.

rsm650

Reaction score
They should know some 49ers history.

1946-1949: Zero AAFC championship games won
1950-1969: Zero NFL championship games won
1970-1981: Zero Super Bowl championship games won

So, it took the 49ers 36 years to finally bring home a real championship trophy...and when did the Seahawks start playing? 1976.

I don't understand why the Seahawks are labelled losers just because they haven't won anything in 37 years (yet). The Seahawks will be no different than the 49ers in terms of the timing of winning their first Super Bowl.

60niners

Reaction score
rsm650":2psm2cj2 said:
They should know some 49ers history.

1946-1949: Zero AAFC championship games won
1950-1969: Zero NFL championship games won
1970-1981: Zero Super Bowl championship games won

So, it took the 49ers 36 years to finally bring home a real championship trophy...and when did the Seahawks start playing? 1976.

I don't understand why the Seahawks are labelled losers just because they haven't won anything in 37 years (yet). The Seahawks will be no different than the 49ers in terms of the timing of winning their first Super Bowl.
Why would you assume the fans don't know the history? I'm pretty sure most fans who know that there are 5 championships, probably know when they came. If you know when they came, you clearly know when they didn't come.

rsm650

Reaction score
60niners":3bztzyd6 said:
Why would you assume the fans don't know the history? I'm pretty sure most fans who know that there are 5 championships, probably know when they came. If you know when they came, you clearly know when they didn't come.

Okay, probably ignorant of me to say every fan. I don't have cable TV, so I'm stuck with reading online articles for my sports news - including the Facebook comments on ESPN articles...find any Hawk article on ESPN and I guarantee that the most liked comment will be how the Seahawks haven't won anything :|

60niners

Reaction score
rsm650":3ou900u2 said:
60niners":3ou900u2 said:

Okay, probably ignorant of me to say every fan. I don't have cable TV, so I'm stuck with reading online articles for my sports news - including the Facebook comments on ESPN articles...find any Hawk article on ESPN and I guarantee that the most liked comment will be how the Seahawks haven't won anything :|
Now that is probably accurate :thumbup:. The quality of comments on YouTube or FB are just awful these days.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
BreesIsOverrated":2v01mj4v said:
I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.

I don't remember too many opponents fans even bothering with it outside of SF. Maybe a single poke from a NOLA fan, but that was just Niner emulation. I just don't see anyone else with any "obsession" about Seahawks titles other than a Niner fan. The funniest part about it is that they use it as a tool for comfort when they are down, or they actually believe that it matters when it just makes an already very large number of stupid people look even more stupid.

I don't know a single Seattle fan of anything that has EVER said "whoa is me, we don't have a Super Bowl" or Series. That crap is nothing but Niner rhetoric.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Giedi":2jvnhv67 said:
BreesIsOverrated":2jvnhv67 said:

The 'Hawk 12th man is definitely not overrated. They are a formidable team advantage for Seattle. I think that may have something to do with the 49er fans pointing constantly to their history. The Seattle fans are dedicated and vociferous and give you guys probably a good +2 wins a year alone on that excellent support you give to your team. The Bay Area doesn't have a 12th man that comes even within a mile of the Seattle 12th man.

The other reason, and probably more important reason, is that Seattle is a good team this year. Nobody cares about the Rams this year. Why? They suck. Tampa Bay, same thing. Atlanta Falcons. Seattle is the class of the NFC and probably the NFL, and so the only way to counter that is past history that proves the opposing team used to be the class of the NFL the way Seattle is now. It should not be surprising, and Seattle fans should expect it, and simply move on to more relevant issues like match ups and strategy.

Nice post and well made point by who of all people , a Niner fan? Don't do this anymore please. I enjoy hating SF fans.

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
BreesIsOverrated":1q02g2c4 said:

The Niners just won their Superbowl for this year.

sekiuHAWK

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":12m6cm34 said:
HawkWow":12m6cm34 said:
Bitter":12m6cm34 said:
It is especially comical coming from 49er fans considering it took them approximately as long as the Seahawks have been in existence to win their first title.

Nice....I never considered that angle. How many years was it for them?
Unfortunately, fewer than we've been in existence. 35 years. We got to a Super Bowl before they did, but we didn't win ours...Supposedly...friggin' Bill Leavy..

We won that super bowl and I will never say different...... so imo, we do have a superbowl title already

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah because we should just talk about the Niners over and over and over again. Geezus
We get it, the Niners were awesome 20 years ago.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Not to mention the 49ers won their SBs in a era where there were no salary cap so it was easier to keep a team together.

seahawksny

Reaction score
BreesIsOverrated":3w38o4ls said:

Atlanta won series
NO won super Bowl
Minneapolis won two series- '91 was quite possibly one of the most memorable ever.

They talk about us now more than ever because we have guys like Richard Sherman who i love, making it sound like we already won when we havent. Its the brashness and cockiness that turns people off I think

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Here is some history for ya......
The Cardinals were founded in 1898, and are the oldest continuously run professional American football club in the United States. 1898 and have never won a championship. I think that is funny. That's what they get for naming their mascot after a whimpy, non-predatory bird.