The obsession with how many titles we have

HansGruber

Reaction score
chris98251":1w12tch6 said:
The funny part is between Jerry and Benson is they have tried to leverage everything they could as an advantage, Jones wanting to use advertising revenue and not share merchandiseing income, Benson with the Bounty gate situation. Yet those two had created the biggest uproar over it and as you stated led commitees to oust someone that was more creative at circumvention then they were.

Yeah. Tom Benson even went as far as attacking DeBartolo on a personal and business level. I read somewhere that Benson was the one that got in the feds' ears about the political corruption scandal. He was pissed off about Sanders. And then Jerry came along and signed him. It's a funny club.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1ryie55t said:
Ninerg":1ryie55t said:
Let's compare to another sport. Do you think Yankee fans ignore their past championships? They still take great pride in the championships that were won going back to the Babe Ruth era. They would laugh at Boston, their most heated rivals, and accuse them of being cursed since had not won any titles since they let Babe Ruth go.

This makes them stupid. (I hate both the Red Sox and Yankees FWIW, and think that people who think that the Sox are somehow way nobler than the Yankees because they've won fewer titles are really dumb.)

To still bask in a title won during your time as a fan is one thing. To bask in titles won before you were so much as a clump of cells is another. Do I sit around being really proud about the USA's accomplishments in the Revolutionary War? "Take that, redcoats!" That crap has nothing to do with me. Titles your team won before you were ever a fan have nothing to do with you. You can be glad, I suppose, that your team has a storied history (and yes I'm glad that the Revolution went well, as far as that goes), but to throw that in anyone else's face in the present day is just incredibly dumb and makes no sense.

You're a weirdo. Most people pump their fists at Revolutionary War victories.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
HansGruber":478cf419 said:
I guess, for fairness, I should also mention that the only SuperBowl championship John Elway ever won was when Denver was cheating the cap as well. So it wasn't just the 49ers. The Broncos cheated the cap, and were never heard of again too.
What are you talking about, Hans? Elway won 2 SBs--SB MVP in the second one.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
HawkWow":2or3x0il said:
Ad Hawk":2or3x0il said:
This whole argument depends largely on your perspective.

For the casual/bandwagon fan, it seems the most important thing watching the favorite team win NOW. History is irrelevant.

For the football fan in general, seeing great football plays , regardless of the team (to some degree).

For the franchise and seasoned fans, wins are most important, but not always this week; the overall picture is bigger than one week. This is where the history becomes valuable, and the supposed argument that "5 rings" matters a bit. The franchise and city it's tied to are bigger than the individual players or fans, and the logo/uniform takes priority over everything else.

My take. Flame away.

Agreed. In example; If my Dawgs won the next 5 nattys, none of them would be more important to me than '91. They would all have the exact same value in my heart, in my head. It's about team legacy, past, current and future.

I sincerely doubt any of us would be so quick to dismiss our 5 rings if we had them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
We got cheated in 91 having to co-champ it. What would've happened if they let us play Miami? Miami sure as hell didn't want to find out. That debacle was a huge step towards a BCS playoff. All the old guys grasping at "tradition" who run the NCAA have to die off before we can get a true playoff system in college football.