The Blind Side was BS

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yep. If you read the article, as Sgt. Largent noted, Oher only found out about this in February of this year.

The movie, much like Green Book, seemed a little distasteful in the whole "saviour" aspect of it all. Not my cup of tea. But Hollywood-types fall for that sort of thing. I never bought Oher as being as dumb and hopeless as that movie portrayed him to be. They had the man unable to learn how to block from a football coach, but Sandra Bullock was able to teach him. The Black people in this movie were represented as: giant idiot football player, gangsters back in his home neighbourhood, crackhead mother, and incompetent NCAA investigator.

The truth probably lies closer to the seedy reality of the underbelly of football recruiting in the south. Family funnels football player to their alma mater; Hugh Freeze launches his career off of Oher; family financially benefits off of association with player; author of the book that became the movie, Michael Lewis, was a school friend of the Father of the family holding the conservatorship.

This story needs a neutral unaffiliated documentary; just the straight goods.
Yeah.

Donn2390

Reaction score

NoGain

Reaction score
Read it and weep, loser..!
A link to that credible source for news...The Blaze. LOL Stop digging. You're already in over your head.

You're kind of entertaining in a non-serious sort of way.

Donn2390

Reaction score
A link to that credible source for news...The Blaze. LOL Stop digging. You're already in over your head.

You're kind of entertaining in a non-serious sort of way.
Jason Whitlock is an intelligent, knowledgeable writer who's articles you can take to the bank and The Blaze is a great website. Your opinion is noted.
Now for the reason I came back to see you:
Mr. Gain,
I'm here to concede that I may have possibly been wrong about Mrs. Oher being one behind Michael's suit. It was in my attempt to give the benefit of doubt to Michael, not believing he could be the one who could be so callous as throw his loving parents under the bus by suing them after everything they have done for him.
I guess I assumed he was the good guy he was portrayed to be in the movie, but that is turning out not to be true. He is the ungrateful one who willingly threw a truly great family under the bus for personal gain and at the cost of the severed relationship of his family. It may heal, but it will never be the same.
I assumed he was a good guy that was a victim of outside influences when he filed the lawsuit, and the two most likely prospects to be that outside influence would be the wife of only a few months, and or an ambulance chasing attorney. They could still possibly be partly to blame, but more research tells me that Michael is the bad guy in this whole thing. This shakedown has been in the works for at least several years, since his football career came to an end.
He is still the victim of getting bad advice, his first responsibility was to go to Sean when he became concerned he may have been wronged. he didn't do that, he just threatened and blackmailed them.
I do now believe Mike is shocked that this thing has exploded into national headlines, in his naïve thinking, he expected to quietly file a lawsuit and reap in the bucks. We will see how it plays out now.
Anyway nogain, this is the apology that you requested and have now received. Let's go play football..!

renofox

Reaction score
Inspired by Colin Kapernick, who made bank trashing the white couple who helped him realize his potential.

Does anyone think Oher would have ever made it into a college program without the assistance/guidance provided by this couple? They gave him a stable home and paid for tutors, allowing him to turn his academic failure into success. He had the ability all along, but his lack of a stable home would have destroyed his chances without their assistance.

Race hustling in this country has exploded since 2008. Assholes make bank while the rest of society is harmed by all this :poop:.

I have no idea which side is correct about who got what money from the movie, but I do trust Jason Whitlock. I've been reading almost everything he writes for years and have never seen him distort or make up facts.

Mix

Reaction score
People are using a whole lot of confirmation bias in regards to this story. Then again that will always be more fun then waiting for any factual information.

Last edited:

KinesProf

Reaction score
Does anyone think Oher would have ever made it into a college program without the assistance/guidance provided by this couple?
Don't fall for the Hollywood Disney spin that suggested that Oher didn't know how to play football or block until saviour Leigh Anne Touhy stepped on the field one day and showed him.

renofox

Reaction score
Don't fall for the Hollywood Disney spin that suggested that Oher didn't know how to play football or block until saviour Leigh Anne Touhy stepped on the field one day and showed him.
I'm talking about academic qualification.

In his book, Oher acknowledges that there is no way he could have turned his academic career around enough to qualify for a college football team without a stable home and tutoring.

It had nothing to do with ability, and everything to do with circumstances.

Without the circumstances provided by the couple's charity, Oher would never have had a football career.

This is indisputable.

Marvin49

Reaction score
...it just makes me wonder....

Patrick Willis actually had a fairly similar story to Michael Oher...and they both ended up ad Ole Miss...

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Blackploitation.....thats what I've read on many other sources. Credible or not its being discussed.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Inspired by Colin Kapernick, who made bank trashing the white couple who helped him realize his potential.
Hey!! Colin grew up rough on the mean streets of Turlock - for those who are unaware the "Mean Streets" of Turlock are just south of the Country Club.

toffee

Reaction score
...it just makes me wonder....

Patrick Willis actually had a fairly similar story to Michael Oher...and they both ended up ad Ole Miss...
LOL, what are your insinuating? lol, as an Ole Miss alum, I could be talked into defending the school.

Marvin49

Reaction score
LOL, what are your insinuating? lol, as an Ole Miss alum, I could be talked into defending the school.
LOL. No need.

I just always found it interesting that Pats story was so eerily similar to Oher and they ended up at the same school. I'd chalked it up back then to just really good people out there but with this accusation I just wonder. :)

If you dunno what I'm talking about:

toffee

Reaction score
LOL. No need.

I just always found it interesting that Pats story was so eerily similar to Oher and they ended up at the same school. I'd chalked it up back then to just really good people out there but with this accusation I just wonder. :)

If you dunno what I'm talking about:

I wasn't serious, as you probably detected.

Ole Miss is famous and infamous for various of reasons. When I was there in the '70s, the school was quite small, 5000+ students and almost all white, Archie Manning was our QB and he was KING. Interestingly, the whole football team were mostly Mississippi boys it was before national wide recruiting. What stood out was service personnels on campus were almost all black.

toffee

Reaction score
I'm talking about academic qualification.

In his book, Oher acknowledges that there is no way he could have turned his academic career around enough to qualify for a college football team without a stable home and tutoring.

It had nothing to do with ability, and everything to do with circumstances.

Without the circumstances provided by the couple's charity, Oher would never have had a football career.

This is indisputable.

Ole Miss' undergraduate admission rate was listed at 88%, officially, for kids with athletics qualifications, that rate should be even higher. In my Ole Miss days, my roommate was kicked off the team for being too fat and slow, lol, he played center. Let's just say that he wasn't an academic genius.

When I watched the movie, I was literally lol about the academic requirement to Ole Miss. Sorry not LOL, more like ROFL.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This family should have told OHer straight up that this conservatorship was not A legal adoption. Better yet, they should have stipulated it in writing with a lawyer present.

It was not compassionate for the white family to say “we regard you as a son” when clearly they did not. Had they legally adopted Oher, he might For example be owed an inheritance.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I wasn't serious, as you probably detected.

Ole Miss is famous and infamous for various of reasons. When I was there in the '70s, the school was quite small, 5000+ students and almost all white, Archie Manning was our QB and he was KING. Interestingly, the whole football team were mostly Mississippi boys it was before national wide recruiting. What stood out was service personnels on campus were almost all black.
Wasn't that in the days before John McKay enlightened the southern schools, and Bear, that black players are pretty talented?

Donn2390

Reaction score
This family should have told OHer straight up that this conservatorship was not A legal adoption. Better yet, they should have stipulated it in writing with a lawyer present.

It was not compassionate for the white family to say “we regard you as a son” when clearly they did not. Had they legally adopted Oher, he might For example be owed an inheritance.
No one is owed an inheritance, not your children, not your spouse, no one that isn't listed in the trust. Many people leave out their natural children, some even their spouse. You can put in or leave out anyone you wish to.

toffee

Reaction score
Wasn't that in the days before John McKay enlightened the southern schools, and Bear, that black players are pretty talented?
In my days, there was a good percentage of blacks on our football team, but it wasn't that long ago that JFK forced Ole Miss to accept our first black student and had to station national guards on campus just to protect that one black student.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
No one is owed an inheritance, not your children, not your spouse, no one that isn't listed in the trust. Many people leave out their natural children, some even their spouse. You can put in or leave out anyone you wish to.

if you leave a will, that’s correct. But if you don’t leave one that’s recognized, inheritance passes to the spouse and then the children equally. Frankly this is how my parents estate is, divided equally between the children once mom passes.