To Be Expected

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I think the DL front looked the worst. Money, Ford, and Harris did not dominate the line and it looked like Jordan Brooks was our only missing front 7. Could it be talent deficiency or is this getting used to new roles.
Poona is not our starting nose tackle... Al Woods is, and he didn't play last night.

Own The West

Reaction score
Woolen playing man when everyone else was playing zone for the first TD. Johnson — who made a lot of plays otherwise — taking an INT off his chest plate instead of using his hands. Fant lazily stepping out of bounds and then a concentration drop to end Geno’s last drive. Bryant burned for a TD because he didn’t get his head turned or chop at the ball. Geno ducking and weaving with his eyes on the rush instead looking down field or throwing it away. Lock scrambling into traffic for a sack instead of rolling out and throwing it away. And the missed blocking assignment to end the game.

It’s preseason, and all of the above are fixable. I’m pleased that we looked much more athletic and aggressive than years past. It’s much harder to fix slow and soft.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Geno would have looked better if not for two incompletions - the throw to Fant that he failed to stay in bounds on was a dime. Then he had the crosser for a first that I forget who dropped.
I think it was Bo Melton who dropped that crosser IIRC. Yup, Fant needs more Doug Baldwin toe-tap practice, like what that Stealers rookie WR showed on that TD pass from Mason-whats-his-name.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Walker is a quicker version of Zeke Elliot but with better moves

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Y
I think it was Bo Melton who dropped that crosser IIRC. Yup, Fant needs more Doug Baldwin toe-tap practice, like what that Stealers rookie WR showed on that TD pass from Mason-whats-his-name.
Yes Bo Melton dropped a bullet slant but he also had a very explosive eye opening play that gave us a glimpse of his capabilities and what he brings to the “Tyreke Hill” table

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Geno would have looked better if not for two incompletions - the throw to Fant that he failed to stay in bounds on was a dime. Then he had the crosser for a first that I forget who dropped.
The guy who didn't make the first down was Fant had four feet to get the second foot down but didn't do it. He needs to take some lessons from Tyler. The end zone corner pass was perfecto and should have been a TD. Pitt ran the same play and got the TD against Bryant.
With game #2 coming up Thursday night we're not going to have much of a chance to make a lot of headway on the practice field.
Both Homer and Dallas provided the spark that got us back into the game. They played like pros.

toffee

Reaction score
DeeJay Dallas stood out as a guy who may have improved since last year. Hard to say as he was playing late - but good vision and balance for sure. Looked a little quicker and more decisive.
Hommer had a good game too, how would you compare Hommer and Dallas in this game? I didn't get to watch the game but would love to hear your evaluation. Thanks

Fade

Reaction score
I feel like I've been duped by our beat reporters regarding our rookie corners. They're pretty much the opposite of all the glowing reports I've read lol
The beat reporters are results based with no understanding of context. What we're finding out is they've been going against Seattle's QBs and they were not factoring that into the equation.

They have talent and I think they will both become starters in the NFL, they were just a little overhyped is all. They will be good ones down the road, though. Kobe after giving up the TD, settled in and played well the rest of the time he was in the there.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I feel like I've been duped by our beat reporters regarding our rookie corners. They're pretty much the opposite of all the glowing reports I've read lol
So maybe there were reasons they were still available where they were drafted?

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
The beat reporters are results based with no understanding of context. What we're finding out is they've been going against Seattle's QBs and they were not factoring that into the equation.

They have talent and I think they will both become starters in the NFL, they were just a little overhyped is all. They will be good ones down the road, though. Kobe after giving up the TD, settled in and played well the rest of the time he was in the there.
I believe we got a couple of rookie gems at CB, and I think Bryant's play was especially encouraging as well.

That TD, regardless of how you feel about the Steelers QB room, was a damn near perfect throw and catch. Bryant had great coverage and was in great position, but that was a dime-piece of a throw to the back corner from Rudolph putting it where only Pickens had a chance to get it. And then obviously incredible body control from Pickens to get his toes down and see that catch through.

Most DB's would be in their heads letting that play eat at them. Bryant just shook his etch-a-sketch clean and went right out on the next drive and made two great open field tackles and settled in for the rest of the game. He's got that poise, moxie, and resiliency. The sort of holy trinity of personality traits that are part of the makeup of a good DB.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Most DB's would be in their heads letting that play eat at them. Bryant just shook his etch-a-sketch clean and went right out on the next drive and made two great open field tackles and settled in for the rest of the game. He's got that poise, moxie, and resiliency. The sort of holy trinity of personality traits that are part of the makeup of a good DB.
Loved the etch-a-sketch reference. I remember getting one as a Christmas present some 60+ years ago. Hours of entertainment for an 11 y/o boy. BTW, it was introduced in July of 1960.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It was OK.

Lock made a lot of easy throws. So we should be able to mount a reasonably effective offense at least between the 20s.

I have no idea what Geno was doing.

Saw pretty much what I expected, some of which I was hoping not to see. But we are at Game 1.

Not enough to put a full picture together.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Walker is not a bruiser, so maybe not the best back for Goal line or 4th and 1 plays but he did great between the tackles made subtle cuts and got positive 4 yards on almost every run. Get him 10+ carries and he is going to pop a few big runs and he had that HR speed to take it to the house. Did you see his juke of the CB on his catch, single CBs and Safetys will have a hard time stopping him in the open field. He looks to have great vision and great feet.

I think the DL front looked the worst. Mone, Ford, and Harris did not dominate the line and it looked like Jordan Brooks was our only missing front 7. Could it be talent deficiency or is this getting used to new roles.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

I was a lot more impressed with both DJ Dallas and Travis Homer's running than I was with Walker's. But with as injury prone as Penny is, we'll probably be seeing a lot of all 3 of those backs.

I was surprised that they had Walker returning kickoffs.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
It was OK.

Lock made a lot of easy throws. So we should be able to mount a reasonably effective offense at least between the 20s.

I have no idea what Geno was doing.

Saw pretty much what I expected, some of which I was hoping not to see. But we are at Game 1.

Not enough to put a full picture together.
He was busy balling out are you blind or just a hater? Geno played great

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's pre-season. It means little to nothing. Meh, I'll worry if I see a bunch of missed tackles and sloppy play in the regular season.
Geno played great? He's extremely limited and I can't fathom anyone wanting him to be a starter.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I believe Walker's opps at RB were intentionally limited due to trying him at various other duties AND the fact that Penny was not available to play, therefore some protection for Walker seems wise looking down the road. That worked out fine as Dallas and Homer both proved their value at the spot. Great to know we have solid depth at RB.
The greatest CB in the game gives up a TD now and then. Writing off our rooks because they got scored on in their first pre-season game is indicative of chronic pessimism, aka JayhawkMike etal who are 'just being realistic'.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mason 'The Red Nose Reindeer' RUDOLPH?