Tate's celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":26fldo0q said:
Seahawk Mike":26fldo0q said:
I like Tate but that was a douche bag move...

Does anyone else find this post funny considering the "hol' ma dick" avatar the poster has?

Exactly...didn't say it wasn't funny...but he was being a douche...

I'm glad that it isn't the college rule where it is a 15 yard penalty from the spot of the taunting!

chris98251

Reaction score
First off I am old school and thought it was more then stupid, second I also think it uped the motivation and focus of the Rams, third where I did not play in college I have coached and played the game at WR and CB.

I know if someone pulled that on me when I played I would with for the chance to legally or maybe given a chance take a penalty to make a point or teammates would. Payback can be hell and at his level in the NFL could end a career.

You can't tell me being shown up and taunted doesn't make a defense pissed, and the payback at that level could be a clock on Wilson, that is in addition to all the other bad things listed here that could happen. You take a player like Rodney Harrison, or George Atkinson, Lester Hayes, would have decapitated Tate after a stunt like that. There are guys like John Lynch and Steve Atwater as well. You get a rep and then you become a target. Players will make it a point to send you a message and being on offense you don't get to initiate contact.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
chris98251":2p3n3k78 said:
First off I am old school and thought it was more then stupid, second I also think it uped the motivation and focus of the Rams, third where I did not play in college I have coached and played the game at WR and CB.

I know if someone pulled that on me when I played I would with for the chance to legally or maybe given a chance take a penalty to make a point or teammates would. Payback can be hell and at his level in the NFL could end a career.

You can't tell me being shown up and taunted doesn't make a defense pissed, and the payback at that level could be a clock on Wilson, that is in addition to all the other bad things listed here that could happen. You take a player like Rodney Harrison, or George Atkinson, Lester Hayes, would have decapitated Tate after a stunt like that. There are guys like John Lynch and Steve Atwater as well. You get a rep and then you become a target. Players will make it a point to send you a message and being on offense you don't get to initiate contact.
This. Taunting like Tate did is the football equivalent of beaning a player. Don't get the other team fired up.

Half the game is 50% mental. Don't provoke the other teams defense into going all mental on your team.

Tate needs to just visualize a maple bar in the end zone and focus on that.

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":djpsyyim said:
THUGCAPS":djpsyyim said:
Everyone complaining about this should go watch baseball, because you obviously don't like having fun watching sports.

Would you want your kids to act like this on the playing field?

Firstly, I don't have kids, secondly, if I did, I would just tell them not to do that. Is Golden Tate your son? He sure isn't my son therefore I don't give a flying **** what he does.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
THUGCAPS":17rkil18 said:
Sgt. Largent":17rkil18 said:
THUGCAPS":17rkil18 said:
Everyone complaining about this should go watch baseball, because you obviously don't like having fun watching sports.

Would you want your kids to act like this on the playing field?

Firstly, I don't have kids, secondly, if I did, I would just tell them not to do that. Is Golden Tate your son? He sure isn't my son therefore I don't give a flying **** what he does.

If Golden was my son, I would tell him I was disappointed in his behavior. Why does being an adult forgive being an ass? That makes no sense.

Listen, it's a penalty for a reason, because it's not professional.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Tate can do whatever he wants as long as he wins games, and it does not distract him from his job.

That is the benchmark that matters.

If he enjoys mocking the defenders on the other team and it makes him play better, he earned that right.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
From a secondary that had the Panthers steamed last week, and had Steve Smith publicly stating that he'd punch Janoris Jenkins in the face of he saw him on the street.... My guess is that they were talking the same type of shit last night and Tate shut them up. This team has swagger, deal with it or get off the ride, you're not tall enough. Oh, and change your diapers while you're at it

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":q0kx4rap said:
chris98251":q0kx4rap said:

This. Taunting like Tate did is the football equivalent of beaning a player. Don't get the other team fired up.

Half the game is 50% mental. Don't provoke the other teams defense into going all mental on your team.

this is based on the premise that the Rams defenders hadnt been saying anything all game.... it seems rather obvious considering Tate was making a mouth gesture with his hands that he was responding...

why is this so hard for peopel. I can respect "old school" mentality, but christ, if you think Tate "fired up" the Rams you have a delusional mindset when it comes to professional athletes.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I laughed when he did it... but I actually had a talk with my son about it afterward. It was a good opportunity to talk to him about being a good winner, and sportsmanship.

Now what is the deal with the Rams db's? Those guys talk some serious trash and drive wide receivers a little crazy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Steve Smith was in the middle of a lot of the action, and he and Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins had words on a few occasions. When Smith beat Jenkins for a touchdown, he turned and pointed right at Jenkins after he scored. Smith revealed after the game that Jenkins was talking about his family

Steve Smith: Janoris Jenkins was talking trash about my family. If I see him in the streets I'll punch him in his (effing) mouth

c57832f3-7975-476c-ad0c-715542ca09db_smiththumbsdown.gif

Throwdown

Reaction score
Steve Smith doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd want to talk mess to, ask Ken Lucas what that be like.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Yea, when Steve Smith says that, I think he'd actually do it.

Those guys must have been talking mad trash, and Tate finally had an opportunity to really finish it and end the talking, must have been just boiling the whole game...

I understand the reaction. Wasn't smart, but I get it. I like how he dealt with it after the game too.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
I bitched Tate out through the TV over his actions although I do understand it was probably out of emotion because our WR's were being covered all game and probably heard a lot of crap on the field.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
The waving and doing the puppet act with his hand didn't bother me at all... Obviously the defender was mouthing off at sometime during the game and Tate found a way to repay.... The only thing I was worried about is during his run he wasn't completely paying attention to where he was in regard to the sideline, and I thought he almost stepped out... That would have been bad.... But, it all worked out and didn't hurt us... Coach Pete wasn't happy with Tate, but probably had a smile in private later.... :th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":25bclq61 said:
SalishHawkFan":25bclq61 said:
chris98251":25bclq61 said:

this is based on the premise that the Rams defenders hadnt been saying anything all game.... it seems rather obvious considering Tate was making a mouth gesture with his hands that he was responding...

why is this so hard for peopel. I can respect "old school" mentality, but christ, if you think Tate "fired up" the Rams you have a delusional mindset when it comes to professional athletes.

I think you have lost all sense of what competition is then, talking trash on the field goes on all the time and has in most sports. Showing up someone by a public display like Tate did is rubbing dirt in a wound and it's just not the player it's the team your playing against, players have pride and what Tate did is a purposeful insult to the players and a team and the defense he was playing against.

You think that professional players don't care if they are insulted, showed up, or embarrassed?

A player like Tate that also returns punts can be dealt with, you simply stand him up and hold him up on his next punt return and let another player take a shot. Then you do the wave bye bye as he is taken off the field on a back board. Thats the next step in stuff like this.

Then again young people seem to have little sportmanship or moral code across the board watching how sports have degenerated anyway. All the way back to incidents like Tanya Harding. No respect for competition, the sport your in, just make sure you make a highlight reel or the news to get your 15 minutes of fame.

If you taunt in a baseball game with things like pointing at a pitcher after a hit or a home run, you get one in your ear next at bat, if you go high on a slide you may get one in your ear, dirty and taunting have paybacks in sports. Basketball the response is a return hard foul next possession. Hockey, well they have a standard that has always been drop the gloves and start swinging.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Oh no, here comes the "young people have no moral code, back in my day..." spiel.

That's the worst, considering that there are a lot of people who will point to outdated social mores that young people got rid of that the old days were famous for.

More young kids taunting during a damn sports game + less young kids being racist, sexist, and bigoted = a trade-off I'll take.

Tical21

Reaction score
It is perfectly okay to be an asshole if the other guy did it first.

It is perfectly okay to act like a classless human being because you are a football player.

We're Seahawks fans, we've been through a lot over the years, so let us now taunt somebody when we win.

It is perfectly okay for all the players to do this, in turn making it okay for college players, high school players, and pee-wee players to do this.

Where have we come as a fanbase and society? The support Tate is receiving in this thread makes me embarrassed.

hawk45

Reaction score
During the game I was so stunned/happy that we did anything at all on offense that I laughed the entire time he was running it in. Ended up being the game-winning score, so I was fine with it, even fine with the penalty.

I mean if we had any offense from anywhere else from players who weren't taunting then yeah maybe it would have stood out. But I wasn't about to look a gift-taunt in the mouth.

Not the way I want players to score all the time, but if that's how they score game-winners...

Now if Tate would have fumbled or been stopped short, then I'd have been pissed. Part of the deal for me was it actually winning the game for us.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":sha0a8me said:
ensett":sha0a8me said:
Nothing classless about that. Goodell has just planted the seed in all of our heads and turned us all soft

How about stupid, then, for drawing a completely unnecessary 15-yd penalty and nearly stepping out of bounds and blowing a sure touchdown? Blame Goodell if you want but that was completely classless and it could have come back to hurt us had St. Louis taken the short kickoff and run it back for a touchdown.
Yeah, that piece of showboating could have very well gotten someones feelings hurt and OHHH the embarrassment to the Rams Corners and safeties eh Shadow?
If he were trying to cause damage, like leading with the helmet (spearing), OR, trying to PHYSICALLY bust someone up, then I could realistically see nailing him for 15 yards, BUT, for the NFL officiating to think it's okay to f*%k up the teams Quarterbacks by purposely trying to take him out, and then get to jump up and CELEBRATE afterwards, is okay by you, and some of the other apologists around the League?
I sure as hell don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.