Tate's celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizbob

Reaction score
Tical21":2k1vse53 said:
It is perfectly okay to be an asshole if the other guy did it first.

It is perfectly okay to act like a classless human being because you are a football player.

We're Seahawks fans, we've been through a lot over the years, so let us now taunt somebody when we win.

It is perfectly okay for all the players to do this, in turn making it okay for college players, high school players, and pee-wee players to do this.

Where have we come as a fanbase and society? The support Tate is receiving in this thread makes me embarrassed.

No reason to be embarrassed, we've got you to balance the books. Don't fall off your high horse, you might break something.

Christ these holier than thou posts piss me off!!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
grizbob":llgx1yve said:
Tical21":llgx1yve said:

It is perfectly okay to act like a classless human being because you are a football player.

We're Seahawks fans, we've been through a lot over the years, so let us now taunt somebody when we win.

It is perfectly okay for all the players to do this, in turn making it okay for college players, high school players, and pee-wee players to do this.

Where have we come as a fanbase and society? The support Tate is receiving in this thread makes me embarrassed.

No reason to be embarrassed, we've got you to balance the books. Don't fall off your high horse, you might break something.

because you know... taunting is a societal ill....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wow, an awful lot of serious anger towards a player who made a great play but acted foolishly or in an immature way in taunting the other team.

I don't know what the DB he was giving the business to had previously said to him during the game but there were some ill feelings between the Rams DBs and our WRs during the game including some penalties that they got away with that should have been called. Whatever was said should probably have not resulted in Tate acting the way he did in that circumstance. He should have just run the ball in spiked it and walked away like the pro he can be. After that he can take the bow instead of hanging his head and apologizing b/c he knowingly almost hurt his own team by being selfish.

It was somewhat funny to watch when it happened but stupid in the way it was done. Tate is a pro and recognized quickly he'd made a mistake and took the blame like a pro knowing he'd screwed up. I doubt that will ever happen again and hope there is a lesson in this for him.

To those calling for the coach to suspend him for part of a game I ask: "Are you serious?" Tate is now the de facto #1 WR on the team having replaced Rice as the real #1 and suspending him for scoring and celebrating seems shortsighted and actually quite silly as a potential coaching response for his exuberance. He needs to know that potentially hurting his own team in a close game is something that is wrong and very stupid. I think he got the message loud and clear and we all need to just move on but celebrate the reality that Tate is becoming all that he was drafted to be.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":13l9v364 said:

Good for you Tical, I'll let you be the designated Embarrassee for me and the rest of the apologetic fan base.
We as parents of the College players, high school players, peewee players want to see them safe from physical injuries, but if they get their ego's destroyed by a hand wave? GOD forbid he even think about sticking his tongue out eh? :roll:

Tical21

Reaction score
grizbob":awekbza5 said:
Tical21":awekbza5 said:

If not acting like a classless dickhead when I compete makes me holier than thou, I guess I'll have to take it.

Seeker

Reaction score
seahawk fans are whiney, it was a play, pete talked about it he aint mad no more. why are we still mad.

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":gcs0zcfs said:
chris98251":gcs0zcfs said:
First off I am old school and thought it was more then stupid, second I also think it uped the motivation and focus of the Rams, third where I did not play in college I have coached and played the game at WR and CB.

I know if someone pulled that on me when I played I would with for the chance to legally or maybe given a chance take a penalty to make a point or teammates would. Payback can be hell and at his level in the NFL could end a career.

You can't tell me being shown up and taunted doesn't make a defense pissed, and the payback at that level could be a clock on Wilson, that is in addition to all the other bad things listed here that could happen. You take a player like Rodney Harrison, or George Atkinson, Lester Hayes, would have decapitated Tate after a stunt like that. There are guys like John Lynch and Steve Atwater as well. You get a rep and then you become a target. Players will make it a point to send you a message and being on offense you don't get to initiate contact.
This. Taunting like Tate did is the football equivalent of beaning a player. Don't get the other team fired up.

Half the game is 50% mental. Don't provoke the other teams defense into going all mental on your team.

Tate needs to just visualize a maple bar in the end zone and focus on that.

Salish, you are a great insightful poster, so I can't even begin to see why you can't tell that Tate's catch and celebration in itself was Tate's "payback" to a relentlessly trash talking secondary for the Rams.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Mike":249n1d9i said:
Smelly McUgly":249n1d9i said:
Seahawk Mike":249n1d9i said:
I like Tate but that was a douche bag move...

Does anyone else find this post funny considering the "hol' ma dick" avatar the poster has?

Exactly...didn't say it wasn't funny...but he was being a douche...

I'm glad that it isn't the college rule where it is a 15 yard penalty from the spot of the taunting!
And Marshawn grabbing his junk IN a TOUCHDOWN CELEBRATION, isn't being a "Douche"???
Why does he get a pass to doing something classless like that, and Tate, or ANY OTHER PLAYER for that matter, does not?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I don't think showboating should be flagged. Flagrant taunting, perhaps, but in my mind this was not that at all. This sort of thing used to go on all the time back in the 90s and everyone loved it. I think we should give Tate a break seeing as how he was responsible for both touchdowns yesterday. Russell hung him out to dry on both occasions and it was only by a miraculously athletic play that Tate turned what should have been an INT, into an offensive TD.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I liked it.

It came with 2 TDs that won us the game.

You cannot even think about calling him out unless you acknowledge he was a big reason we won.

It annoys me that we have threads venerating Irvin and ET3, but the threads recognizing Tate get shutdown or lumped into the one calling him out. Or we can have a thread about how much we miss a guy that has never contributed a damn thing to the Seahawks, never even played a down and people are ready to get rid of Tate for him.

Tate deserves a pat on the back and maybe, maybe a "you know that could hurt us in the future, please be careful" whispered into his ear. But the Rams are jackwagons and they probably deserve it.

He certainly does not deserve to be called out after a game he was one of the heroes. Without his "antics" we lose this one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":3kkfoj3t said:

I'm not sure of the average age of some of the people here defending Tate, but my guess is the large majority of them are in their 20's or younger........which only proves your point, that we've done a poor job raising our kids the past 20 years or so. Tate's behavior is now perfectly acceptable to an entire generation.

No more team, or being a good sport, or playing with class. Now it's all look at me, me me.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":wgm0x7ev said:
Shadowhawk":wgm0x7ev said:
ensett":wgm0x7ev said:
Nothing classless about that. Goodell has just planted the seed in all of our heads and turned us all soft

How about stupid, then, for drawing a completely unnecessary 15-yd penalty and nearly stepping out of bounds and blowing a sure touchdown? Blame Goodell if you want but that was completely classless and it could have come back to hurt us had St. Louis taken the short kickoff and run it back for a touchdown.
Yeah, that piece of showboating could have very well gotten someones feelings hurt and OHHH the embarrassment to the Rams Corners and safeties eh Shadow?
If he were trying to cause damage, like leading with the helmet (spearing), OR, trying to PHYSICALLY bust someone up, then I could realistically see nailing him for 15 yards, BUT, for the NFL officiating to think it's okay to f*%k up the teams Quarterbacks by purposely trying to take him out, and then get to jump up and CELEBRATE afterwards, is okay by you, and some of the other apologists around the League?
I sure as hell don't.

First off, I don't give a damn about anyone's feelings, and I never said I did. Learn how to read.

Second, it was classless. Tate needs to act like a professional (something he himself admitted.)

Third, I was just as pissed off about Quinn and Long's sack dances as I was about Tate's taunting. That kind of crap should be penalized as well and the league needs to call these things evenly.

Fourth, on our one big offensive play of the play of the game, Golden Tate was so busy getting even for whatever it was St. Louis' dickhead DB's were telling him he A) very nearly stepped out of bounds and squandered a sure touchdown and B) gave St. Louis a free 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff which could have easily resulted in a long return and maybe a touchdown of their own. Like I said, it was stupid.

Now Tate says he has learned his lesson. Good for him. We're lucky he didn't earn it the hard way.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seeker":1980h273 said:
seahawk fans are whiney, it was a play, pete talked about it he aint mad no more. why are we still mad.
Because their wussies are sore, and I think it's comical that many here think it's a HUGE sin that Tate committed ,and thinks he should be drummed off the team.
I guarantee you that the Ram or 9rs, or any other team in the NFL, would absolutely be ecstatic to get their hands on Tate, and suit him up in their unis.
People around here need to take some MIDOL (TM LOLOL) and quit with the sniveling.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1x7dwvsh said:
Seeker":1x7dwvsh said:
Because their wussies are sore, and I think it's comical that many here think it's a HUGE sin that Tate committed ,and thinks he should be drummed off the team.
I guarantee you that the Ram or 9rs, or any other team in the NFL, would absolutely be ecstatic to get their hands on Tate, and suit him up in their unis.
People around here need to take some MIDOL (TM LOLOL) and quit with the sniveling.

LMAO Yes, everyone who didn't like the taunting doesn't want Tate on the team. This place, I swear...

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
If you're using professional sports players as role models...you may want to reexamine your priorities.

That being said, what Tate did out there last night is ultimately not going to destroy the children of America, ravage the city of Seattle, or collapse the world economy. I would love for him to be Steve Largent or Barry Sanders, but I realize that's not going to happen.

He is who he is...you take the entire personality package when you sign him aboard. At least he isn't breaking into doughnut stores anymore, right?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":20cbqd8z said:
Half the game is 50% mental. Don't provoke the other teams defense into going all mental on your team.

Half the game is 50% mental? Are you Yogi Berra?

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3cq8mj39 said:
I'm not sure of the average age of some of the people here defending Tate, but my guess is the large majority of them are in their 20's or younger........which only proves your point, that we've done a poor job raising our kids the past 20 years or so. Tate's behavior is now perfectly acceptable to an entire generation.

No more team, or being a good sport, or playing with class. Now it's all look at me, me me.

Gawd I hate ridiculous generalizing posts like this - I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm 41, am very well adjusted and not a showboater myself.

Then again, I also don't sit around and tell other people how to live their lives.

The generation I grew up with had huge organized TD dances, and later we had Deion Sanders.

What our generation is truly guilty of, if anything, is having a short memory.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lm0tjwjh said:
THUGCAPS":lm0tjwjh said:
Everyone complaining about this should go watch baseball, because you obviously don't like having fun watching sports.

We all like having fun and watching sports, that's why we love the Hawks and come here.

Sorry, but you can't explain away poor sportsmanship and being a punk on "he was just having fun." Would you want your kids to act like this on the playing field? Just because we're adults we're allowed to act like asses? Nope, not right for kids, and it's not right for adults........and everyone involved from Gruden, Tirico, Carroll and even Tate himself said so.

You can celebrate without being as ass, it's not hard. Run into the endzone and jump up and down, celebrate, high five your teammates, whatever.
Monson, Wyman, Strong, et al also said it was uncalled for and they wouldn't be surprised if he got fined.

Look, I'm not saying I think Tate is classless. I'm saying that particular action was classless. Golden can be very immature sometimes. He needs to grow up. And I suspect that's essentially what Pete told him.

rsm650

Reaction score
Putting himself before the team was selfish and I'm glad Pete had a talk with him right after the play. However, it's not like he taunted an injured player. I'm sure he'll learn from this and not commit an immature act again, as said by Tate in the interview.

Let's move on to more pressing issues - like... you know...

253hawk

Reaction score
I guess every WR and DB in the 90's was classless because that's all those guys did back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.