Tampa Bay Hump Hike

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the Tampa Bay Center jacking his ass way up in the air just before hiking the ball when they were in shotgun formation? I know we got at least one offsides penalty when he did that, maybe two. Not sure why there weren't false start flags flying all over the place from that cheesy move. Anyone else notice it, or am I crazy (not that those can't be mutally exclusive)?

amill87

Reaction score
On their first TD, it drew a defender off sides. It was blatant that is what caused the guy to jump off sides.

IMO it was the worst call (well no call) of the game. They can say Thomas touched the WR on the PI but how can they not say the center moving like that didn't cause the defender to jump offsides?

OP
OP
I

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
amill87":yfcciajh said:
On their first TD, it drew a defender off sides. It was blatant that is what caused the guy to jump off sides.

IMO it was the worst call (well no call) of the game. They can say Thomas touched the WR on the PI but how can they not say the center moving like that didn't cause the defender to jump offsides?

He was doing it the entire game. My buddy got tired of me screaming from my seat, "HOW IS THAT NOT A FALSE START!!!" Must be someting about the rules I don't understand. I'm sure an NFL officiating crew wouldn't continue to ignore such an infraction through an entire game or, in the case of the Peyton Manning half step towards the line of scrimmage on every shotgun snap, for an entire career.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I am assuming that since it's the center, him raising his hips isn't indicating the snap. Maybe since his hand isn't actually on the ground, it isn't considered being set in a 3 point stance. I don't know, but the Center does need to be afforded the ability to look at the QB and then set himself prior to the snap.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Well, if the fans were seeing it, ya gotta think that our D linemen and/or coaches would have been in the zebras ears about that if it was causing them to jump or they felt it was an attempt at simulating the snap. So either it isn't worthy of a flag or the refs were simply refusing to call it.

OP
OP
I

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":q5ohfgla said:
I am assuming that since it's the center, him raising his hips isn't indicating the snap. Maybe since his hand isn't actually on the ground, it isn't considered being set in a 3 point stance. I don't know, but the Center does need to be afforded the ability to look at the QB and then set himself prior to the snap.

I wouldn't disagree in principle, but this was well outside the norm of what I see any other center do. It looked intentionally exaggerated to draw an offsides, to me.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Like LawLessHawk said, that could have been a "simulating the snap" penalty. I think Mike Carey is an arrogant ass and if you point something out to him, he will purposefully ignore to "show you who the man is."

hangumhi

Reaction score
I agree. Even my wife was yelling that it was a false start and that's saying a lot:) I'm really confident this was a Schiano coaching tactic trying to draw us offsides (which it did) and try to take some crowd noise out of the game.

dunceface

Reaction score
ivotuk":3dcqsbq2 said:
Like LawLessHawk said, that could have been a "simulating the snap" penalty. I think Mike Carey is an arrogant ass and if you point something out to him, he will purposefully ignore to "show you who the man is."

Mike Carey. nuff said

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He was doing it every shotgun snap. It was their version of the silent count. The center raising his hips was the indication that he was snapping the football within the next second. I was wondering why our guys weren't timing their blitzes to go 1 second after he did that. It was clock work.

OrFan

Reaction score
It was the reason for our first off sides. You could see Pete talking to the official right after that. I watched to see if he would do it again, and he did not. That he only did it once in a while made it obvious that he was using the illegal tactic to try to get a jump. He did it again shortly after that and got a flag for it. He got away with it a few more times, but I'm glad that he at least got a penalty once.

stack600

Reaction score
Not to get off subject, But I wondered why when R.W. took the knee in OT to line up the FG and the DB grabed him and dug and tugged until he stripped the ball lose. Why was it not a PF call. The ball was dead atleast it should have been a dead ball foul of UR. Put that with E.T.s PI and a few other calls I give Carey and crew a D- for this game. Better not be a crew we see in the Playoffs.

dunceface

Reaction score
ivotuk":3vgnu2m3 said:

Mike Carey. nuff said

scutterhawk

Reaction score
stack600":2x608yn8 said:
Not to get off subject, But I wondered why when R.W. took the knee in OT to line up the FG and the DB grabed him and dug and tugged until he stripped the ball lose. Why was it not a PF call. The ball was dead atleast it should have been a dead ball foul of UR. Put that with E.T.s PI and a few other calls I give Carey and crew a D- for this game. Better not be a crew we see in the Playoffs.
Because that was a blatant bullsh*t Defensive play that Carey & his numb-nutz crew let go ,because they knew it was all over but the shouting.
It should have been a call for a first & goal penalty, and by almost any other Officiating crew.
D- is way to generous for Mike Carey.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1zjvmcza said:
stack600":1zjvmcza said:
Because that was a blatant bullsh*t Defensive play that Carey & his numb-nutz crew let go ,because they knew it was all over but the shouting.
It should have been a call for a first & goal penalty, and by almost any other Officiating crew.
D- is way to generous for Mike Carey.
I completely and utterly agree.

Latest posts