Superbowl

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Super Bowl 47 champs Baltimore Ravens record 10-6.
Super Bowl 46 Champs New York Giants record 9-7.
Super Bowl 45 Champs Green Bay Packer record 10-6

So the last 3 Super Bowl Champs (before ours of course) had a best 10-6 record. Why is everyone saying we are mathematically out of it. Historically we were an outlier last year being a first seed Super Bowl Champ. I know we are not perfect and have a tough schedule but whaaaat is going on? We lost some tough games to some good teams all by not very much. Never getting blown out and even being close in games we played like poo poo. From the outside that is good. I know from here it is frustrating but jeez. We could have easily lost two or three more games last year that came down to the wire. I know I know we didn't but the difference is not that great. I still think this team has the potential and capability to pull this off. Would I bet tons of money on it. No way but we still have a very reasonable shot at this.

Abach

Reaction score
The difference is that in 2011, the Giants won their division at 9-7. There were only 3 teams in the nfc that had 11 or more wins. This year, there could be 6 teams in the nfc with 11+ wins.. it's more difficult making the playoffs this year than previous years

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":11o2aqny said:

So the last 3 Super Bowl Champs (before ours of course) had a best 10-6 record. Why is everyone saying we are mathematically out of it. Historically we were an outlier last year being a first seed Super Bowl Champ. I know we are not perfect and have a tough schedule but whaaaat is going on? We lost some tough games to some good teams all by not very much. Never getting blown out and even being close in games we played like poo poo. From the outside that is good. I know from here it is frustrating but jeez. We could have easily lost two or three more games last year that came down to the wire. I know I know we didn't but the difference is not that great. I still think this team has the potential and capability to pull this off. Would I bet tons of money on it. No way but we still have a very reasonable shot at this.

I don't think we're out of it to say the least. However, if you're going to use stats to justify your argument you need a larger sample size to make it valid. Here are the records of the last 20 Super Bowl winners:

14-2: 3
13-3: 5
12-4: 6
11-5: 2
10-6: 3
9-7: 1

Yes three out of the last four champs had a 10-6 or 9-7 record. However that had only happened once in the previous 16 years. 70% of the champs in the last 20 years were 12-4 or better.

edogg23

Reaction score
Didn't the Ravens fire their offensive coordinator toward the end of the year when they won the superbowl? I could see this working for us as well :)

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
It literally doesn't matter what your record is. It matters what your record is in relation to the other teams' records and if you're in the playoffs all that matters is scoring more points than the other teams on a game-by-game basis.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I've gone on record of saying I don't like our chances, but I will also go on record as saying if we make it to the playoffs, that's all that matters now - get in and its ours for the taking.

pehawk

Reaction score
I still contend this offense will get better as the year goes on. Just like 2011 and 2012....

Largent80

Reaction score
Think 1986, well for those of us here that were born and Hawk fans. If we had gotten in that year, we win easily.

pehawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1eucd80s said:
Think 1986, well for those of us here that were born and Hawk fans. If we had gotten in that year, we win easily.

Thanksgiving, in Big D. Krieg opens with a bootleg keeper TD on first drive, then Chucks goes all Pete, and crams Warner down their throats to end the game...they couldn't stop him. I was 9 and remember it like it was yesterday.

grizbob

Reaction score
Largent80":3vb9v6ku said:

Damn Rob you got me digging through damaged brain cells, was that the year we beat the Giants and the Broncos in the regular season, and those teams went to the Super Bowl with the Giants winning it all?

pehawk

Reaction score
grizbob":2v6a7c7u said:
Largent80":2v6a7c7u said:

Damn Rob you got me digging through damaged brain cells, was that the year we beat the Giants and the Broncos in the regular season, and those teams went to the Super Bowl with the Giants winning it all?

Yup...

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah, we averaged like 35 points over the last few games, nobody wanted any part of us. It was a weird year, we won the first 3, then won,lost won lost, then lost 4 in a row.

That is when we became Godzilla, and the rest of the NFL was Tokyo.

Too little too late, and I'm with Ryan on this, I see the similarities. We can roll these last few.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1otrlf94 said:

A very reasonable post, but we have to get to the playoffs to be one of those underachieving teams that got hot in the playoffs and won it all..........and THAT's what most of us are worried about at this point in the season with being behind the 8-ball on pretty much every conference tie breaker right now.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Why don't we start 2 threads. 1 for the people on here who think the sky is falling. And another for the people who want those people to stop thinking the sky is falling.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I was just illustrating that all is not lost. We don't need everything to be perfect to make a run. It can be done and has been done and more that once recently. Trust me when I say I am not happy about our performances and that I don't feel GREAT about our Super Bowl chances but I will not give up hope and I am not grasping at straws either.

Latest posts