Superbowl XL referee Bill Leavy passes away at 76

morgulon1

Reaction score
Not really sure how I feel about this one -

I do know that overall I'm not 'over' XL - but I just don't think about it much anymore.

Agree with another poster - if it wasn't him, it would have been someone else. Munich has taught us that much. If you can call a game like that with the commish in the stands mugging for the camera while it's happening - well, the Bettis love-fest XL debacle is entirely conceivable.

The one thing that I do notice over time, and in comments from people like Aros - who attended the game - is how stacked is was at the stadium. From all the terrible towels and lack of hawks merch/representation. I wasn't there - but it sounds like it was pretty one sided. This supports the 'if not him, who' theory.

I guess 'RIP' dude. But, at the end of the day if you don't want to be remembered for this kinda shit - well, then don't do this kinda shit. It was more egregious than 2 calls that got 'kicked' - and we all know it.
Yeah, dude and his entire crew should've been investigated and fired.

At the least.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Not me. He wasn't nearly specific enough in his mea culpa. When someone apologizes and asks for forgiveness (which he didn't do), they don't get to just say "I did a couple of things I regret" and have that be enough. Plus, he had a lot more to answer for than just a couple of calls in the 4th. His admission was weak sauce, and struck me as the minimum he could say and still get credit for apologizing from some circles, while leaving as much as possible left unsaid and unaddressed.

No admiration or respect from this corner of the internet. None whatsoever.

That's exactly right. What he did with his "apology" is what can be termed a controlled limited dangle. Like when the CIA or a branch of the military gets caught doing something truly egregious and beyond the pale, and can no longer avoid commenting. They will publicly admit to the tip of the iceberg to deflect and distract the bulk of the people, while ignoring 99 percent of the truth of the iceberg under the surface and acting like it doesn't exist.

That game was a total fix job through and through from beginning to end, and Levy and probably most or all of the rest of the officiating crew knew alllllllllll about it the whole time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The thing is he did admit to scewing up BUT it just felt like the fix was in
and he had to go along with it.
I hated the guy for awhile but I realized it goes above just him alone.
RIP

James in PA

Reaction score
Does anybody remember the nationally televised preseason game we had against Indianapolis the following season? I believe it was Michaels and Madden announcing. And I'll never forget Michael's said something along the lines of "it's very telling that the NFL didn't fine Mike Holmgren for the comments he made about the officials following that Super Bowl."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Does anybody remember the nationally televised preseason game we had against Indianapolis the following season? I believe it was Michaels and Madden announcing. And I'll never forget Michael's said something along the lines of "it's very telling that the NFL didn't fine Mike Holmgren for the comments he made about the officials following that Super Bowl."
Yep, the NFL wanted the “Bettis Bowl” aka XL* to go away after everyone could obviously see the fix was in. If They fine Holmgren, it brings up the subject again. The NFL wanted that farce of a game swept under the rug ASAP. They knew they got caught gleefully handing the Rooney’s the Lombardi in a fixed game.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Yep, the NFL wanted the “Bettis Bowl” aka XL* to go away after everyone could obviously see the fix was in. If They fine Holmgren, it brings up the subject again. The NFL wanted that farce of a game swept under the rug ASAP. They knew they got caught gleefully handing the Rooney’s the Lombardi in a fixed game.
Sorry, but I totally disagree with your post. They did not want the game to go away not because it was fixed. They wanted the game to go away because they knew there were many bad calls made in that game and it affected the outcome of the game. That is why they didn’t fine Holmgren.

Look, it was a terribly officiated game. Everyone including the NFL knows this. In no way shape or form was it fixed. What would the NFL have to gain by fixing this game? They already had everyone watching the game already. It’s not like they were going to draw any more people into it by fixing the game. I don’t know but to me it’s mind boggling that people actually think they were some master plan to fix games, but not one person with any credibility over all of these decades has ever came out and proving this to be correct. Not one!!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sorry, but I totally disagree with your post. They did not want the game to go away not because it was fixed. They wanted the game to go away because they knew there were many bad calls made in that game and it affected the outcome of the game. That is why they didn’t fine Holmgren.

Look, it was a terribly officiated game. Everyone including the NFL knows this. In no way shape or form was it fixed. What would the NFL have to gain by fixing this game? They already had everyone watching the game already. It’s not like they were going to draw any more people into it by fixing the game. I don’t know but to me it’s mind boggling that people actually think they were some master plan to fix games, but not one person with any credibility over all of these decades has ever came out and proving this to be correct. Not one!!!
I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. The fix was to get a retiring hometown hero, Jerome Bettis a ring, and a “legacy franchise” another Lombardi trophy. That was outgoing commish Tagliabooboo’s gift to the Rooney family. There is actually a thread on this website about stuff pointing to a fix that came out a few years ago. It’s not hard to find it.

Believe what you want though.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I have to admit I’m a little surprised at some of the comments on here. Anytime I hear people mentioning any type of conspiracy issue within the NFL, my response always is “if the NFL is truly trying to fix games how come in all these years nobody credible has ever come out saying they were told to fix a game and then had others back them up stating this is true?“.

The bad calls in this game were:

1- Ticky tack offensive pass interference on Darrell Jackson.
2- Ben not officially getting over the goal line as one ref signaled a he was stopped only to be over turned
3- Ticky tack, holding call on our right tackle which negated a Jeremy Stevens catch down at the one or 2 yard line
4- a penalty on Matt Hasselbeck for tackling a guy after an interception

Other than the Hasselbeck call none of these were completely egregious. Were they bad calls? Yes. Do these happen all the time? Yes. Was this a conspiracy against the Seahawks?

In my mind absolutely not. Again, bad calls happen all the time. There were two in this game that were ticky-tacky, one on the Ben TD that should’ve been made right via replay, and one on Hasselbeck that should’ve never been called at all.

Human error happens and we got bit that game mightily bad by it. It sucked, it hurt, but again there is no way I believe this was done on purpose.
I agree with this. Plus, I have to point out that that the final score was 21-10. While you might be able to argue that in a close game, a call or two not going our way cost us the game, when you lose by two scores, that argument carries quite a bit less weight.

The officiating was a factor in our loss, but it wasn't the largest factor. IMO the biggest reason for our loss was our inability to get off the field on 3rd down. We also missed two very makeable FG's from inside 40 yards in a dome that had we converted, would have changed the character of the game.

And the conspiracy theory angle is just plain nonsense. I do think that the refs likely were influenced by the pro Steelers crowd. After all, Pittsburgh is about the same distance from Detroit as Spokane is from Seattle. But there is simply no incentive for either the league or the individual refs to intentionally affect the outcome of the game. To the contrary, the exact opposite exists, that should the sport be exposed as corrupt, the likely result would be a severely diminished popularity. The league has a vested interest in assuring a level playing field for their contests.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I agree with this. Plus, I have to point out that that the final score was 21-10. While you might be able to argue that in a close game, a call or two not going our way cost us the game, when you lose by two scores, that argument carries quite a bit less weight.

The officiating was a factor in our loss, but it wasn't the largest factor. IMO the biggest reason for our loss was our inability to get off the field on 3rd down. We also missed two very makeable FG's from inside 40 yards in a dome that had we converted, would have changed the character of the game.

And the conspiracy theory angle is just plain nonsense. I do think that the refs likely were influenced by the pro Steelers crowd. After all, Pittsburgh is about the same distance from Detroit as Spokane is from Seattle. But there is simply no incentive for either the league or the individual refs to intentionally affect the outcome of the game. To the contrary, the exact opposite exists, that should the sport be exposed as corrupt, the likely result would be a severely diminished popularity. The league has a vested interest in assuring a level playing field for their contests.
100% on point

Hawk4life

Reaction score
It’s funny that I just watched Charlie Wilson’s war. It definitely reminded me that reality is much darker than we believe. I decided not to pass the 12th man torch on to my son because of that game. It’s pretty sad to think about the good memories that could have been. Rich people seriously suck.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
To a football fan, it might carry a bit less weight. To oddsmakers and betters in Vegas, the important thing isn't the final score, the important thing is the spread. And there were a lot of people in Vegas that were convinced it was fixed.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
This whole “the game was fixed“ is just INSANE!!!

What did the NFL have to gain by fixing that game? Nothing. It’s not like there was a game after this one that was setting up some unbelievable matchup. It was the last game of the year. It’s also not like they were going to gain more viewership during the game if the Steelers were winning. It’s the Super Bowl, you’re already getting the viewership.

Please, someone provided a real reason why the NFL would want to fix that game in a way that would benefit or better yet profit the NFL?

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
This whole “the game was fixed“ is just INSANE!!!

What did the NFL have to gain by fixing that game? Nothing. It’s not like there was a game after this one that was setting up some unbelievable matchup. It was the last game of the year. It’s also not like they were going to gain more viewership during the game if the Steelers were winning. It’s the Super Bowl, you’re already getting the viewership.

Please, someone provided a real reason why the NFL would want to fix that game in a way that would benefit or better yet profit the NFL?
Marketing 101: Dynasty branding increases consumer engagement.

camdawg

Reaction score

Ehhh...

Both of Mr. "Slave to the Businessman" Josh Brown's misses were longer than you might remember. He missed from 53 and 50 yards. Although you can make the argument that in a dome, he should still make them.

Thing is - even if he makes those kicks - we still lose 21-16. Sure, it makes the game closer. And maybe Hasselbeck then tries to set us up for another FG after the setup for a third TD gets taken off the board with the garbage holding call on Locklear. Rather than playing desperate and throwing a pick.

Still, as long as Bill Cowher would be willing to call the Randle El option pass from closer to his own end zone - we lose, 21-19. We basically had to play a PERFECT game to overcome Pittsburgh's huge officiating advantage.

Imagine how badly Pittsburgh gets blown out in that game if these things happen:
  • The OPI on DJack isn't called. If that's asking for too much, defensive holding/PI gets called on Pittsburgh at the same time for the serious jersey pulling against DJack. And the drive continues
  • Neither one of Peter Warrick's big punt returns get called for block in the back.
  • The big bomb that set up the controversial Roethisberger TD gets called back because their RT Max Starks didn't pay attention and was an ineligible man downfield
  • The long Willie Parker TD run gets called back for your choice of Max Starks' hands to Lofa's face, or Heath Miller's hold and block in the back on Bryce Fisher.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I am in the camp that if games were fixed someone over the the years who have stepped up and let the cat out of the bag. I just think football gives refs too much power and the refs have too much human error. Pass interference and holding ard both common calls both can change a game.

The calls I. XL were atrocious for sure. But the holding call on Locklear cost us the game. If leavy had a part in that call then I have nothing to say about his passing.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Ehhh...

Both of Mr. "Slave to the Businessman" Josh Brown's misses were longer than you might remember. He missed from 53 and 50 yards. Although you can make the argument that in a dome, he should still make them.

Thing is - even if he makes those kicks - we still lose 21-16. Sure, it makes the game closer. And maybe Hasselbeck then tries to set us up for another FG after the setup for a third TD gets taken off the board with the garbage holding call on Locklear. Rather than playing desperate and throwing a pick.

Still, as long as Bill Cowher would be willing to call the Randle El option pass from closer to his own end zone - we lose, 21-19. We basically had to play a PERFECT game to overcome Pittsburgh's huge officiating advantage.

Imagine how badly Pittsburgh gets blown out in that game if these things happen:
  • The OPI on DJack isn't called. If that's asking for too much, defensive holding/PI gets called on Pittsburgh at the same time for the serious jersey pulling against DJack. And the drive continues
  • Neither one of Peter Warrick's big punt returns get called for block in the back.
  • The big bomb that set up the controversial Roethisberger TD gets called back because their RT Max Starks didn't pay attention and was an ineligible man downfield
  • The long Willie Parker TD run gets called back for your choice of Max Starks' hands to Lofa's face, or Heath Miller's hold and block in the back on Bryce Fisher.
I just read your last bullet point, and went back to the video to watch Willy Parkers run. There was no hands to the face on Lofa, and no hold on Fisher. As far as the block in the back, how does an offensive lineman block in the back at the line of scrimmage? Sorry, but these observations are absolutely laughable.

Look, I love the Hawks as much as anybody else, but the fact is is that there were some bad calls made in that game that definitely affected the game in my opinion. However there’s no way were doing it to fix the game.

Also i’m not saying you, but there are people on this board that need to get a grip on the conspiracy theory stuff with regards to the NFL and fixing games.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Exactly. The bad officiating was far more than just a couple of "kicked" calls in the 4th quarter. The one-sided, biased officiating was happening all game long.